Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so this bot tweets out positions that got liquidated: https://twitter.com/BXRekt/status/13...994541067?s=20

Today was so ****y that the bot got capped by Twitter.
    There were several $10,000,000 positions that were liquidated today.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      that makes no ****ing sense

the company is valued more now, if is brother had a stake in the company, he's more wealthy now. How does cutting his salary and paying employees more fit into defrauding his brother?
      Last edited by BassAle; 05-19-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        (unless it is linked to another coin like the one Ethereum has...which still has no real purpose unless you use their network for something) They have no value...literally.
        And how is that not the same as every other crypto coin out there?

What, exactly, backs bitcoin other than the belief that it is worth something? I mean, just because someone wasted thousands of dollars worth of electricity to mine it doesn't mean it's backed by anything. If bitcoin's controlling users decided to troll everyone and pull the plug tomorrow, what exactly would everyone else be left with?

At least dollars (and other currency) are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government (or their respective governments), and by extension all of the tangible assets it (they) controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

And how is that not the same as every other crypto coin out there?

What, exactly, backs bitcoin other than the belief that it is worth something? I mean, just because someone wasted thousands of dollars worth of electricity to mine it doesn't mean it's backed by anything. If bitcoin's controlling users decided to troll everyone and pull the plug tomorrow, what exactly would everyone else be left with?

At least dollars (and other currency) are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government (or their respective governments), and by extension all of the tangible assets it (they) controls.
          That is an oversimplification. I am not the person to ask though. Just because a bank or government doesn't back the coin doesn't mean it has no value. What value does common stock have?

This is not the place for a long form discussion on the topic but if you really want to know there are plenty of articles from reputable sources out there that explain it. I am too new to all of it to do it justice...my oversimplification wouldn't be much better than yours was. (this is also why I would never invest serious money this is all day trader stuff for me)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That is an oversimplification. I am not the person to ask though. Just because a bank or government doesn't back the coin doesn't mean it has no value. What value does common stock have?

This is not the place for a long form discussion on the topic but if you really want to know there are plenty of articles from reputable sources out there that explain it. I am too new to all of it to do it justice...my oversimplification wouldn't be much better than yours was. (this is also why I would never invest serious money this is all day trader stuff for me)
            A stock is backed by buildings, machinery, inventory, accounts receivable, revenue, IP, etc. Which is of course balanced by debt, expenses, etc. Which is why the ratio of the price of a share of stock to the actual book value of a company is a useful tool. It's one of the tools investors use to determine the value of a stock.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-19-2021, 04:17 PM.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Common stock is a literal ownership stake in the underlying company that presumably has assets, customers, and turns a profit. We get to vote on the board members and other governance issues and in many cases get a share of the profits through dividends. Yeah, us retail investors with 100 shares here and 200 shares there only own .00001% if we're lucky, but those are real things.

Bitcoin has no such underlying assets backing it. it could crash to $.01 just as quickly as it rose to $30k if people stop caring about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Common stock is a literal ownership stake in the underlying company that presumably has assets, customers, and turns a profit. We get to vote on the board members and other governance issues and in many cases get a share of the profits through dividends. Yeah, us retail investors with 100 shares here and 200 shares there only own .00001% if we're lucky, but those are real things.

Bitcoin has no such underlying assets backing it. it could crash to $.01 just as quickly as it rose to $30k if people stop caring about it.
                Crypto is the 21st century's baseball cards
                Code:

Comment

• Actually, that's not true. Baseball cards can be used by children to make noise in their bikes. Bitcoin melts glaciers.
                  Code:

Comment

• The je ne sais quoi of crypto continues to elude me as well.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      The je ne sais quoi of crypto continues to elude me as well.
                      "We are going to take money away from the (((sovereign authority of nations)))."

That's the appeal. I'm not judging, I'm just saying.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 05-21-2021, 09:30 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

"We are going to take money away the (((sovereign authority of nations)))."

That's the appeal. I'm not judging, I'm just saying.
                        Cool plan!

But as someone said here (I believe), who controls the cloud computers and the power grid where the crypto 'money' is stored?
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Cool plan!

But as someone said here (I believe), who controls the cloud computers and the power grid where the crypto 'money' is stored?
                          I know. The dream is it goes to Math. Like, who "controls" gravity?

But the thing is, it would be very convenient to be able to turn gravity off and on at times, so I'm not sure making money into some sort of natural law is a win for humanity.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I know. The dream is it goes to Math. Like, who "controls" gravity?

But the thing is, it would be very convenient to be able to turn gravity off and on at times, so I'm not sure making money into some sort of natural law is a win for humanity.
                            Except crypto isn't some sort of uncontrollable force. Just this week someone decided to **** someone else and in an hour it was worth half.

Crypto doesn't do anything it's promoters claim.
                            Code:

Comment

Except crypto isn't some sort of uncontrollable force. Just this week someone decided to **** someone else and in an hour it was worth half.

Crypto doesn't do anything it's promoters claim.
                              Blockchain and ledgers do seem like interesting ideas to experiment with for decentralized record-keeping that can resist malicious attacks.

But I do kinda think we should try it out on say college hockey score apps before trying to make it global reserve currency.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Crypto is the 21st century's baseball cards
                                Have you seen what’s going on with sports cards and Pokemon cards lately?

Baseball cards are still the 21st century’s baseball cards. Though they did have a long hiatus.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X