X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Southwest's Christmas meltdown was reportedly caused by an aging crew scheduling system/process. Who pays for the multi-year transformational programs needed to fully move all the airlines over to modern IT platforms? You, the consumer, in the form of higher airfares and even more service cuts. In an industry where most of the consumers are typically very sensitive to price, and poor experiences are typically forgotten by the time the consumer is ready to buy another "cheapest available" ticket, improving the internal-facing systems we never see is a hard sell.
    Not to mention transitioning from a legacy system to something new more often than not turns into a massive cluster****.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Fair enough. By simple I mean keeping it up should be simple. We have massive amounts of redundancy available in IT systems nowadays. Something this important.....
    Southwest's Christmas meltdown was reportedly caused by an aging crew scheduling system/process. Who pays for the multi-year transformational programs needed to fully move all the airlines over to modern IT platforms? You, the consumer, in the form of higher airfares and even more service cuts. In an industry where most of the consumers are typically very sensitive to price, and poor experiences are typically forgotten by the time the consumer is ready to buy another "cheapest available" ticket, improving the internal-facing systems we never see is a hard sell.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Seriously. Current-format BEV might not be the long-term solution, but the idea that moving off fossil fuels is a fad is absurd.
    The shift in global wealth to green energy over the next 50 years is going to be measured in the tens of trillions.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's Townhall FFS. What do you expect from Highlights for Hitler Youth?
    Glad I wasn't drinking any coffee
    Jeeeeezus

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    Good luck.

One would expect Europe to snap out of the bullsh-t faster and reject austerity harder than the neutered American electorate, but perhaps we can learn some lessons in how to turn back the Plutes and their brainwashed armies of useful idiot orcs.

Jacobin has a good piece this quarter on the Brahmin Left, describing the last sputtering demise of the feckless Harvard-Oxbridge Clinton-Blair liberals who allowed the Right to run the democratic world into the ground the last 40 years. They see some hopeful signs the authentic popular Left is making a comeback with the yutes, even -- gasp -- young white males.

If the Nazis lose them, they've lost the ballgame.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Good luck.

Pension reform: All major French unions call for January 19 strike

For the first time in 12 years, all the major labor unions have called for a joint demonstration to prevent any increase in the minimum retirement age.
    One would expect Europe to snap out of the bullsh-t faster and reject austerity harder than the neutered American electorate, but perhaps we can learn some lessons in how to turn back the Plutes and their brainwashed armies of useful idiot orcs.

Jacobin has a good piece this quarter on the Brahmin Left, describing the last sputtering demise of the feckless Harvard-Oxbridge Clinton-Blair liberals who allowed the Right to run the democratic world into the ground the last 40 years. They see some hopeful signs the authentic popular Left is making a comeback with the yutes, even -- gasp -- young white males.

If the Nazis lose them, they've lost the ballgame.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-11-2023, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Seriously. Current-format BEV might not be the long-term solution, but the idea that moving off fossil fuels is a fad is absurd.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I mean...didn't we just pass an infrastructure plan that is supposed to beef that up? It isn't like we are going to overload the system tomorrow it will take years to have that kind of EV saturation in the marketplace.

As for the article...Stephen Moore said Sarah Palin would be the first female President. Nuff said!

I really hate how people (not just cons but mostly them) misuse "Woke".
    Yeah, I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    I mean...didn't we just pass an infrastructure plan that is supposed to beef that up? It isn't like we are going to overload the system tomorrow it will take years to have that kind of EV saturation in the marketplace.

As for the article...Stephen Moore said Sarah Palin would be the first female President. Nuff said!

I really hate how people (not just cons but mostly them) misuse "Woke".

Leave a comment:

• Bronco
    replied
    I will chalk up the FAA thing as decades of underfunding government resources so it becomes a crisis eventually.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Well, considering NOTAM is Federal and not controlled by the airlines, not sure how the airlines were supposed to keep that running.

And NOTAM isn't "simple," as each notice contain different items of note for pilots. They range from "be aware of the big construction crane 100 yards from the taxiway," to "be aware that runway 18/36 is closed and has construction equipment on it," to "here's nine pages of instructions on the exact route to fly into the Oshkosh airport for EAA. Landing pattern starts in Lake Geneva, WI."
    Fair enough. By simple I mean keeping it up should be simple. We have massive amounts of redundancy available in IT systems nowadays. Something this important.....

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Well, considering NOTAM is Federal and not controlled by the airlines, not sure how the airlines were supposed to keep that running.

And NOTAM isn't "simple," as each notice contain different items of note for pilots. They range from "be aware of the big construction crane 100 yards from the taxiway," to "be aware that runway 18/36 is closed and has construction equipment on it," to "here's nine pages of instructions on the exact route to fly into the Oshkosh airport for EAA. Landing pattern starts in Lake Geneva, WI."
    Last edited by aparch; 01-11-2023, 10:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    If the airlines can't keep a simple system up and ALL planes are grounded today how do we expect to go full computer full electric with cars? I don't know. I have no faith in Information Technology. Not when someone who is working on Mars decides to go full social media. Any research done to get to Mars could greatly benefit us on Earth even if we do not get there.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    From the article..
    Incidentally, as this "woke" green energy fad fades into the sunset, as it almost assuredly will, and the American auto companies see their sales crash, they'd better not come begging for yet another taxpayer bailout.
    I have my own reservations about electric cars but it has mostly to do with the fact that we do not have the infrastructure in place for it yet. We put the cart before the horse. I've been seeing that in my own industry for decades.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X