X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

A reasonably low vacuum in a 4,000-gallon vessel is hard enough to control. Obviously there are ways to do high vacuum in very large volumes (the NASA cryogenic vacuum building that I thought got decommissioned a number of years ago).

But I agree, even a small partial vacuum over 500 miles would have been immeasurably expensive. I just can't even imagine. For such a relatively small gain in efficiency. Like even if you improved the efficiency by 10x, your capital costs are going to be 1000s of times higher than building two parallel steel rails.

Going from an atmospheric vessel to one rated for full vacuum basically triples the cost. Usually more depending on the alloy involved. And that's for building a vessel, which is already expensive!!
    Shouldn’t all this has be proved out negatively with dudes sticking their wang in the house vacuum tube, expecting to add some inches……

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

100%. Economics and even physics aside, there are too many parts that have to work all at the same time for it ever to be reliable. Keeping a vacuum on a 500-mile tunnel is just a ridiculous concept.
    A reasonably low vacuum in a 4,000-gallon vessel is hard enough to control. Obviously there are ways to do high vacuum in very large volumes (the NASA cryogenic vacuum building that I thought got decommissioned a number of years ago).

But I agree, even a small partial vacuum over 500 miles would have been immeasurably expensive. I just can't even imagine. For such a relatively small gain in efficiency. Like even if you improved the efficiency by 10x, your capital costs are going to be 1000s of times higher than building two parallel steel rails.

Going from an atmospheric vessel to one rated for full vacuum basically triples the cost. Usually more depending on the alloy involved. And that's for building a vessel, which is already expensive!!

Edit: I should have said reduced the inefficiency by a factor of ten. But whatever. The point is there.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-24-2023, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It was always BS, right? It was never a viable idea?
    100%. Economics and even physics aside, there are too many parts that have to work all at the same time for it ever to be reliable. Keeping a vacuum on a 500-mile tunnel is just a ridiculous concept.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Well it can only go as fast as the F-150 pulling it!
    That was so hilarious. I really wish ford used that in an ad.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post

They've just made trains, but worse and less efficient.
    Well it can only go as fast as the F-150 pulling it!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    It was always BS, right? It was never a viable idea?

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    As someone who loves a good cableknit this is sadly right on the money https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ashion/675600/

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post

That reminds me of a tweet I saw with a video promoting a new concept “bus” prototype that was elevated so cars could drive under it, and what made it “innovative” was the bus was on tracks.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    You don’t say?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

He's already planning for that. As he put it, anyone who goes out and spends the $30k after getting it is a moron. He's going to keep putting it in short-term CDs for now, just to keep up with the interest in the event he doesn't make it the full 3 years.
    Your buddy sounds like he's not an idiot. Far from it.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I’ve heard nothing but bad things about working at UWM. I would hope there’s a clause in there for termination having to be for cause, because otherwise what’s to stop them from laying people off near the end to recoup the 30k?
    He's already planning for that. As he put it, anyone who goes out and spends the $30k after getting it is a moron. He's going to keep putting it in short-term CDs for now, just to keep up with the interest in the event he doesn't make it the full 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    IIRC, I think a duress claim in this country pretty much requires threat of bodily harm.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post

It is amazing how these criminal chodes self identify with such a crappy car. Like seriously Lambos stopped being cool when I was 13. Now every second MLM twat uses them to show how rich they are...
    I'd rather have something like a ZR1, Z06, or something like that. I'm not even a corvette guy but at least they aren't as much of a douchemobile. Even a nice S-class or 7 Series would be better than a Lambo.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

He's building a house with a lazy river and a go kart track. Of course he has a Lamborghini picture.
    It is amazing how these criminal chodes self identify with such a crappy car. Like seriously Lambos stopped being cool when I was 13. Now every second MLM twat uses them to show how rich they are...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X