Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swansong
    replied
    I don't know that I agree about their innovation. Yes, Elon is 97.5% flash and very little burn, but they have been at the forefront of medium and large scale battery tech for a long time and continue to push that. I really believe that these battery farms are an unrealized ... solution* to energy generation. Currently, widespread power generation needs to match output to demand. Having the ability to store power would allow us to expand renewable energy in ways we weren't necessarily able to before. It would allow us to more easily handle the huge swings in power demand due to time of day/weather/whatever, and would blunt a lot of issues that arise when power plants have to go offline or partially offline.

Plus, wouldn't it be nice if I could put solar panels on my roof/property and have it feed a battery, which powers my house (instead of dumping excess into the grid)? We do this with cars - the alternator generates power that recharges the battery and the car's electrical system pulls from the battery.

*Solution is far too strong a word but I don't know of a better one.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    He was never going to Mars...you gotta stop with that. He was lying about that like he has been lying about the Tesla Truck, has been lying about Twitter and lied about taking Tesla private.

Swan,

As I said it is only a factor. Tesla was always going to fall off sooner or later (especially since it seems they have zero ability to innovate) but they would have had a nice niche and a solid core fanbase that could have sustained them for a while while they transitioned to something else. (I agree with you I always figured their future was in the tech that goes into the newer generations other companies make) They have definitely burned that bridge.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    He's not smart or intelligent. At all. Smart people don't give up Mars for Twitter. Period.

He's dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    While I will always enjoy watching The Smartest Person In The World act like a complete ****ing idiot, I don't think all of Tesla's problems come from Elon's stupidity. Yes, spitting in the face of the customers you market to is not... a smart move. And yes, the people who suddenly love him will never, ever buy an EV, ever. That is absolutely a big factor here, obviously.

But Tesla has benefitted from being one of the few players in the EV game for a long time. Alternatives were either tiny, insanely expensive, not fully developed relative to Teslas, lacking all of the cool techy stuff Teslas have (while costing the same), or some combination of those. In 2023, most manufacturers have EV offerings now, if not all. And they're good. Like, genuinely good. Competitively priced, competitive on tech. The "First Mover" benefit is gone. Hell, Hyundai makes a few outstanding options that weren't... quite there 5-7 years ago. Add to this the EV tax discount having a price cap, making a few Tesla models ineligible.

And Teslas have always had a premium on them. Now, that premium doesn't carry the same value add.

I've always argued that Tesla is an amazing battery and software company that puts those outstanding products in poorly built cars, and further that once the big manufacturers figure out the tech, their offerings would likely be far superior to Tesla. And I think that worm is turning for Tesla. Probably heavily accelerated by Musk's silly edgelord crap, but this was always going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Time for another episode of The Nazis Hold Us All Hostage and Stamp Their Feet.

My offer, Senator, is this. Nothing.

You want to threaten your donors with immiseration. Go right ahead.
    Yup. Burn it. This is no longer a negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

How did they kill the goose?
    Summary.

Basically, the stock price tanked so they looked for new ways to make more money. Saw people making money doing D&D stuff on YouTube and Twitch and said “cool, thanks for promoting the game, we’re taking 25% now.”

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Time for another episode of The Nazis Hold Us All Hostage and Stamp Their Feet.

My offer, Senator, is this. Nothing.

You want to threaten your donors with immiseration. Go right ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It’s been hilarious yet sad seeing Hasbro run Magic: The Gathering into the ground, now it’s hilarious watching Hasbro absolutely destroy the D&D fanbase.
    How did they kill the goose?

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    It’s been hilarious yet sad seeing Hasbro run Magic: The Gathering into the ground, now it’s hilarious watching Hasbro absolutely destroy the D&D fanbase.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    What happened to the mythical Tesla waiting list? Why cut prices if the list is strong?

oh.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    It's because they teach people to code now, not program. Or, good forbid, develop.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I’ve seen so many more code breaks end up in PROD ever since we went Agile dev because “that’s the way the world is going.” Well, you know what? The world is full of crappy ideas.
    I wish I could staple this to the face of, I don't know, everyone

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    There are like 4 in my neighborhood. None of them new though...

And Tesla's have always been overpriced...even their "cheap" models but they never had to slash prices before. Now they do and whether you want to admit it or not part of that is because Elmo spends way too much time trying to own the libs. Notice, all of the flaccid gun toting "Im gun use my gas stove an cook a critter!!1!1" herpa derps aint buying his cars. All he has are us "Owned" Libs. His are still the best option out there (not for long though) and yet he can't move them all of a sudden. It is not just a coincidence.

Don't get me wrong it isn't the only factor...but as someone who was on the fence about buying one even after he started his little Twitter debacle I can say it definitely played a part in me deciding it ain't worth it. People don't want to buy products from someone that out to lunch...ask Donald Trump and his 30000000000000 failed business ventures. I guarantee if Elmo had never bought Twitter to troll the world he would not be having half the issues he is right now. (China would still be an issue) He would likely still be seen as a savvy businessman instead of a guy who won the birth lottery who would struggle running a lemonade stand. His Twitter acquisition will be studied in MBA courses as what not to do when you want to buy a company. He offered too much, didn't read the contract, tried to back out, then tried tanking the stock, went to court and ended up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy Twitter for the exact overpriced number he originally agreed to. Then he fired half the staff and is likely going to be sued for breach of contract over their severances. Oh and lest we forget, he is currently about to start a trial over his stock manipulation pretending he secured funding over Tesla...
    Fair enough

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    I wouldn't buy anything from Elmo with someone else's money.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    There are like 4 in my neighborhood. None of them new though...

And Tesla's have always been overpriced...even their "cheap" models but they never had to slash prices before. Now they do and whether you want to admit it or not part of that is because Elmo spends way too much time trying to own the libs. Notice, all of the flaccid gun toting "Im gun use my gas stove an cook a critter!!1!1" herpa derps aint buying his cars. All he has are us "Owned" Libs. His are still the best option out there (not for long though) and yet he can't move them all of a sudden. It is not just a coincidence.

Don't get me wrong it isn't the only factor...but as someone who was on the fence about buying one even after he started his little Twitter debacle I can say it definitely played a part in me deciding it ain't worth it. People don't want to buy products from someone that out to lunch...ask Donald Trump and his 30000000000000 failed business ventures. I guarantee if Elmo had never bought Twitter to troll the world he would not be having half the issues he is right now. (China would still be an issue) He would likely still be seen as a savvy businessman instead of a guy who won the birth lottery who would struggle running a lemonade stand. His Twitter acquisition will be studied in MBA courses as what not to do when you want to buy a company. He offered too much, didn't read the contract, tried to back out, then tried tanking the stock, went to court and ended up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy Twitter for the exact overpriced number he originally agreed to. Then he fired half the staff and is likely going to be sued for breach of contract over their severances. Oh and lest we forget, he is currently about to start a trial over his stock manipulation pretending he secured funding over Tesla...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X