Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Hearing from a couple Panera Bread managers in this area that their delivery service will be eliminated across all stores and replaced with Door Dash, Grubhub, etc.

    Not confirmed yet, but
    I'm not surprised. Why offer a delivery service when others will do it for you at a fixed rate, while paying wages that border on indentured servitude?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

      I'm not surprised. Why offer a delivery service when others will do it for you at a fixed rate, while paying wages that border on indentured servitude?
      But since everybody tips, and tips well...

      Oh, right.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

      "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

      "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

      Comment


      • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

        But since everybody tips, and tips well...

        Oh, right.
        I have a folder of screenshots devoted to extremely low ball orders on Door Dash.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

        Comment


        • I just don't get it. If I am going to be bougie enough to get people to drive me food I am tipping them at least as well as I tip a server or bartender. I must be a communist or something...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

          Comment


          • The whole Tipping Culture in the US needs to go, period. Force the businesses to pay a living wage BEFORE tips, and any generosity on the part of the customers should be optional and freely given ("gratuity") to recognize exceptional service.

            Too often, "but you'll get good tips" is Lucy's football and it's the working poor who end up flat on their backs.

            Rich people won't pay a living wage - why should we trust them (us) to tip properly?
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              The whole Tipping Culture in the US needs to go, period. Force the businesses to pay a living wage BEFORE tips, and any generosity on the part of the customers should be optional and freely given ("gratuity") to recognize exceptional service.

              Too often, "but you'll get good tips" is Lucy's football and it's the working poor who end up flat on their backs.

              Rich people won't pay a living wage - why should we trust them (us) to tip properly?
              Yeah, you all likely know this type of scenario already, but just to add to it...

              I had a roommate in college who delivered pizza back in college. He'd make a killing on the weekends, but hated getting an order for the rich neighborhoods - they were by far the worst tippers.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I just don't get it. If I am going to be bougie enough to get people to drive me food I am tipping them at least as well as I tip a server or bartender. I must be a communist or something...
                You're not a communist. You've worked as a bartender.

                No one tips as well as a server, or someone who has a close family member in the server industry.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                Comment


                • I understand the chains signing onto deals with these companies, they can afford to absorb the cost and probably get special rates due to scale. I still don’t know how the mom and pops make any money on delivery orders after hearing about the fees they take out.

                  But, I’m sure some people have moved to
                  ordering exclusively through the apps, so you either join or get forgotten. And then hope once things are normal people go out rather than get delivery.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                  1966, 1986, 2007

                  Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    The whole Tipping Culture in the US needs to go, period. Force the businesses to pay a living wage BEFORE tips, and any generosity on the part of the customers should be optional and freely given ("gratuity") to recognize exceptional service.
                    Agreed, though our European friends may not like us warming up to that idea, since they'd be less likely to get to fight over who gets the tables and sections full of overtipping Americans. :-)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                      You're not a communist. You've worked as a bartender.

                      No one tips as well as a server, or someone who has a close family member in the server industry.
                      I’ve never been a server, but I usually followed the 20% for competent service rule. Exceptional service would be more. You’d have to be horrible to get 15%

                      one time I was drinking at a craft brewery’s on site bar and wanted to buy a case of limited edition beer while I was there. The case of beer was around $140 and I reflexively hit 20% tip on the touch screen. My brother in law thought I was nuts for tipping almost $30 for her to open a cooler behind the bar and hand me a 12-pack of beer

                      thanks to covid I’ve been tipping way more on take out orders than I ever have. If I was running in to grab a to-go order and not being served I used to tip less.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

                        I’ve never been a server, but I usually followed the 20% for competent service rule. Exceptional service would be more. You’d have to be horrible to get 15%
                        This. Unless it is super-horrible, 20% is the default. If you don't want to pay the extra 20%, make something at home.

                        thanks to covid I’ve been tipping way more on take out orders than I ever have. If I was running in to grab a to-go order and not being served I used to tip less.
                        Same here. We've been tipping a lot more this past year. Given we don't have to pay for booze, the total comes out the same as it probably would have in normal times. We can spare an extra $10-$15 per meal to help keep people afloat.

                        Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                        KDR

                        Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                        Test to see if I can add this.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

                          I’ve never been a server, but I usually followed the 20% for competent service rule. Exceptional service would be more. You’d have to be horrible to get 15%

                          one time I was drinking at a craft brewery’s on site bar and wanted to buy a case of limited edition beer while I was there. The case of beer was around $140 and I reflexively hit 20% tip on the touch screen. My brother in law thought I was nuts for tipping almost $30 for her to open a cooler behind the bar and hand me a 12-pack of beer

                          thanks to covid I’ve been tipping way more on take out orders than I ever have. If I was running in to grab a to-go order and not being served I used to tip less.
                          The craft brewery example cited by you is an interesting one, I think.

                          Like you, I'm typically a 20% tipper, although because I'm lazy, I round it, and always round it up. Thus, if my bill is $17.38, I would immediately think "$3.48" for the tip, but then make it $21 total that I'd leave.

                          I have a close friend with whom I travel to various craft brewery locations, and we always debate the amount we will tip on the "carry out." We typically will buy beer to consume while there, and probably food if they have it, and we tip the 20%. But with respect to picking up a growler or a couple of four packs to go, my friend and I differ on the tipping. He usually goes pretty low, more of a "handling" fee. I struggle to talk myself into 20% (after all, I don't tip liquor store cashiers 20%). Instead, I sort of do it based upon the size of my purchase. If I buy $150 worth of beer, I might add $20. If I buy $200 worth of beer, I might also leave $20, or maybe $25. It's much more of a "what do I feel comfortable with" thing for me than just an automatic percentage.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

                            Agreed, though our European friends may not like us warming up to that idea, since they'd be less likely to get to fight over who gets the tables and sections full of overtipping Americans. :-)
                            Very true!

                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

                              I’ve never been a server, but I usually followed the 20% for competent service rule.
                              20%, minimum of $20 the second you give me a water. If you're bussing my table and I only spend about thirty bucks I'm not giving you 6 flipping bucks FFS.

                              Never spend less on your server than you do on your parking. Your server is a person.

                              It's funny, the only people I've met who have ever had a problem with this are conservative Christians.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                                The craft brewery example cited by you is an interesting one, I think.

                                Like you, I'm typically a 20% tipper, although because I'm lazy, I round it, and always round it up. Thus, if my bill is $17.38, I would immediately think "$3.48" for the tip, but then make it $21 total that I'd leave.

                                I have a close friend with whom I travel to various craft brewery locations, and we always debate the amount we will tip on the "carry out." We typically will buy beer to consume while there, and probably food if they have it, and we tip the 20%. But with respect to picking up a growler or a couple of four packs to go, my friend and I differ on the tipping. He usually goes pretty low, more of a "handling" fee. I struggle to talk myself into 20% (after all, I don't tip liquor store cashiers 20%). Instead, I sort of do it based upon the size of my purchase. If I buy $150 worth of beer, I might add $20. If I buy $200 worth of beer, I might also leave $20, or maybe $25. It's much more of a "what do I feel comfortable with" thing for me than just an automatic percentage.
                                I hack off a zero, double, then round up the tip rather than the bill.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X