Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someday I’ll actually be considered part of my team. Unfortunately today was not that day.

Comment

• :-(
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Someday I’ll actually be considered part of my team. Unfortunately today was not that day.
        I'm very sorry to say that your feeling isn't likely to go away. But it will certainly make retirement day a lot happier, and you will not likely miss work at all when you are wandering through New England.

Comment

• I'm being onboarded for a USAF project and have to undergo a background investigation to obtain a public trust clearance. Have any of our resident posters with federal experience gone through this and know what I can expect in terms of the scope of the investigation, any interviews, references & associates contacted, etc.? I assume federal/state/local criminal records, credit history, employment history, and all claimed academic & professional credentials are checked/verified. I don't yet know if it's considered low-risk or medium/high-risk, but due to the nature of the project it's likely I would have access to employee PII (full names, addresses, etc.). Security clearance for classified info is not needed/out of scope.

Comment

• A guy I know who has been working in the biz for 20+ just reamed out his polygrapher for going after him during a Full Scope.

How can somebody who knows how polygraphs work do that? Of course they are talking nonsense. Their job is to pick something -- anything -- and then see if you'll freak out. That's the test, the poly itself shows nothing else and has no truth value. It's a test of emotionality.

Dr. Mrs. was accused of being a hacker (she barely knows how to turn on the computer). I was accused of being a drug addict (I am straight edge). The more absurd the better the accusation; that's the whole point.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              I'm being onboarded for a USAF project and have to undergo a background investigation to obtain a public trust clearance. Have any of our resident posters with federal experience gone through this and know what I can expect in terms of the scope of the investigation, any interviews, references & associates contacted, etc.? I assume federal/state/local criminal records, credit history, employment history, and all claimed academic & professional credentials are checked/verified. I don't yet know if it's considered low-risk or medium/high-risk, but due to the nature of the project it's likely I would have access to employee PII (full names, addresses, etc.). Security clearance for classified info is not needed/out of scope.
              I’ve never even heard of a “public trust clearance” - just not the world I inhabit. We’ve been seeing DoD Secret investigations take anywhere from 2-3 months to infinity. As for the investigation, I suspect they’ll ask your references about your trustworthiness, your affiliations (cancel that Proud Boys membership NOW!), if they’ve heard you say disparaging things about the US govt, etc. They’ll ask you the same things, too. Honestly, though, it seems like they spend most of the time asking about apparent discrepancies in your paperwork. “Now, on page 23, you say that you’ve been in your current job for 7 months, but on page 87 you say less than a year. Can you please spend the next 15 minutes of your life explaining this egregious, critical disconnect?”
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Cool, thanks. The way I'm reading it, Public Trust is the lowest level of clearance and it's intended for folks who may access PII or other sensitive, but not classified, info.

Comment

• I love that my employer opened a Developmentally Disabled and Cognitively Impaired house. Far more quiet and peaceful than the other two houses on campus.

However, this house is short staffed and while I'm being cautioned against burnout, I feel like I need to pack a suitcase and toiletries for the next 3 weeks and stay on campus.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Someday I’ll actually be considered part of my team. Unfortunately today was not that day.
                    Bringing this back. The day I posted this, we had a huge, in-office event for which I was responsible for making it actually happen. Had to work with my team, our agency who came up with the creative idea, all their production partners, our conference center, facilities and security teams in order to get people in the building, the OK to set up everything, etc. Got over my initial whining about them taking a team picture after the event without me.

Today I go to our online recognition site as I was asked to submit a comment to a co-worker hitting his 10th anniversary. We have these things call Spark cards, which are digital cards you can send to any employee in the company. There are a bunch of different options, mostly to say thank you or congratulations, etc. even happy birthday. The worst thing they did was to have a feed of people who you work with and cards they get. Every person in my department, not just my team, but department (people I didn't even know that had anything to do with this event) got a thank you Spark card from the main stakeholder whose program it was we were promoting except for me. This woman knows me, knows me well, saw me at the event, sees that I was on every status call (for the most part). I'm going to wait for a couple of days to see if she sends out any more (like maybe she had a list and only got thru half yesterday when she sent them) before I bring it up. But I don't know to whom. And if I should at all. Do I mention to my manager who was responsible for bringing me into the project? Do I say something to this stakeholder's co-worker who was also very involved and is also a good friend of mine? Or do I keep my mouth shut? Thankfully it's not a monetary thing, otherwise I would really be annoyed. I'm just getting frustrated that I constantly get forgotten.

Comment

• Just read a survey of hiring managers. More than half deliberately list non-existent jobs:

Of those surveyed, 43 percent of managers said they post job openings online in order to give the impression that the company is growing. Another 43 percent said that they posted job openings to keep current employees motivated. And 34 percent took that one step further and said they kept online job posts active in order to placate overworked employees.
                      But, yeah, "nobody wants to work anymore..."
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bringing this back. The day I posted this, we had a huge, in-office event for which I was responsible for making it actually happen. Had to work with my team, our agency who came up with the creative idea, all their production partners, our conference center, facilities and security teams in order to get people in the building, the OK to set up everything, etc. Got over my initial whining about them taking a team picture after the event without me.

Today I go to our online recognition site as I was asked to submit a comment to a co-worker hitting his 10th anniversary. We have these things call Spark cards, which are digital cards you can send to any employee in the company. There are a bunch of different options, mostly to say thank you or congratulations, etc. even happy birthday. The worst thing they did was to have a feed of people who you work with and cards they get. Every person in my department, not just my team, but department (people I didn't even know that had anything to do with this event) got a thank you Spark card from the main stakeholder whose program it was we were promoting except for me. This woman knows me, knows me well, saw me at the event, sees that I was on every status call (for the most part). I'm going to wait for a couple of days to see if she sends out any more (like maybe she had a list and only got thru half yesterday when she sent them) before I bring it up. But I don't know to whom. And if I should at all. Do I mention to my manager who was responsible for bringing me into the project? Do I say something to this stakeholder's co-worker who was also very involved and is also a good friend of mine? Or do I keep my mouth shut? Thankfully it's not a monetary thing, otherwise I would really be annoyed. I'm just getting frustrated that I constantly get forgotten.
                        that sounds super annoying. I would hate to see all the thank yous to everyone else and not be acknowledged. I don't know if there is a right move in this case.

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

that sounds super annoying. I would hate to see all the thank yous to everyone else and not be acknowledged. I don't know if there is a right move in this case.

I copied them all into a Word document. The friend I mentioned who works with the main stakeholder is coming with me to the Red Sox game on Friday. Maybe I'll mention it to her over a beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Just read a survey of hiring managers. More than half deliberately list non-existent jobs:

But, yeah, "nobody wants to work anymore..."
                            When I look at open positions on LinkedIn, I suspect this is happening in my niche realm a lot. My firm is closing deals left and right, and in theory a downturn is a good time for companies to invest in IT automation so they can trim payroll (especially in pure overhead departments like HR where employees can be trained to use a portal to serve themselves). However, some of our GSI competitors just laid off a bunch of staff. I think there's more acquisitions and consolidation to be done in the partner consulting space over the next few years.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 04-24-2023, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• If it is abused terribly it would be interesting to try a class action suit of everybody who wasted their time applying. Force the company to prove there was a job that was awarded.

The government can't just float an RFP, collect proposals, and then say "kidding!" This is that behavior, just targeted at (vulnerable) individuals.

I've heard stories of companies offering internal transfers, then firing the employees who apply as "malcontents." IINM that is now illegal.

Last edited by Kepler; 04-24-2023, 04:02 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I would ask my manager if there was some distribution list published for the event, and if your name was missed for whatever reason. I’ve found my name included on things that I never did any work, which I took for a laugh, but it would be annoying if I had put a bunch of work into something to then have a higher up thank some guy who just put in 10 minutes on the project.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X