Clear All

• Being a 24/7 operation, our warehouses only get the Big Six:

-New Years
    -Memorial Day
    -July 4
    -Labor Day
    -Thanksgiving
    -Christmas

And July 4th has a tendency to be a mandated OT day since it's not a designated day. For whatever reason, the logistics world doesnt really acknowledge its existence.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Whelp, that time of year. Been at this game 28 years, which means I've had 27 raises. This year was the smallest ever, framed against a year with 8% inflation just to put a fine point on it.

My boss, who has already been plucked from our group for another special assignment but has not yet been replaced (and therefore has to do all his old performance reviews) is a man of few words and one of the coldest fish I've ever worked with. He made a comment about my needing to think more like a Program Manager but nothing more than that, so I asked a follow up. Keep in mind that my job is to oversee all of the proposals that our group puts out, and the entire purpose of our organization is to study and then propose things. He said, roughly, "You dig into too many details. When you're putting together proposals, sometimes the less you know the better, because if you know all the work involved then we start to look unaffordable."

So let me get this straight: I did my job too thoroughly and did not do my part to set our company up for failure - just keep new contract awards coming in at any cost!

I'm seriously considering going to HR over this one.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• I am in Iowa for work. It is boring. Both Iowa and work.

We drove from Michigan during yesterday's storm....stayed South enough that it was all rain, untile we were about 2 miles from the plant.
        Everything is icy back home, everything is icy here.

A lot of people stayed home today both at our plant in MI and our plant in IA. Meeting I was supposed to attend today was cancelled because the customer didn't want to come in with the ice. We drove 477 miles, they can't drive 90?

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          I am in Iowa for work. It is boring. Both Iowa and work.

We drove from Michigan during yesterday's storm....stayed South enough that it was all rain, untile we were about 2 miles from the plant.
          Everything is icy back home, everything is icy here.

A lot of people stayed home today both at our plant in MI and our plant in IA. Meeting I was supposed to attend today was cancelled because the customer didn't want to come in with the ice. We drove 477 miles, they can't drive 90?
          Where in Iowa, may I ask?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Does it matter?

Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Based on being south of the ice until the last 2 miles, I'm guessing either Ankeny (Des Moines suburb) or Cedar Rapids, depending on the company (Deere or Rockwell Collins).

Or possibly the Quad Cities, with the customer coming from Waterloo if it was Deere related. That's about a 90 minute drive.
              Last edited by unofan; 02-24-2023, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• So, our merit raises and bonuses were announced today. We've all been bracing ourselves because we've been told that the company didn't have as good a year as we had in 2021. And I'm totally OK with that. A bonus is just that - a bonus. It really amazes me that people complain about the amount they get. Anyway - both my merit raise and my bonus were significantly higher than last year. W00t!! Not a bad Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  So, our merit raises and bonuses were announced today. We've all been bracing ourselves because we've been told that the company didn't have as good a year as we had in 2021. And I'm totally OK with that. A bonus is just that - a bonus. It really amazes me that people complain about the amount they get. Anyway - both my merit raise and my bonus were significantly higher than last year. W00t!! Not a bad Friday.
                  The raise does have to be higher because of inflation, but it still feels irrationally good.

I wouldn't complain about a small bonus or raise, compared to others, but it tells you what the company thinks of you and should lead you to reevaluate moving on.

This is why employees should always, always, always share their salary, raise, bonus and other compensation info with each other. The employer has a huge asymmetric advantage in information and employees have to counter that to have any defense against being f-cked over.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• A lot of us are really salty about the bonuses because they're considered variable parts of our salary. I get paid 92% of my salary throughout the year. That final 8% gets adjusted based on company performance, which I have zero ducking impact on.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• My employer is opening up a Developmentally Disabled/Cognitive Impaired house, moving me over there, and having me work Sundays through Wednesdays and giving me the rest of the week off.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Based on being south of the ice until the last 2 miles, I'm guessing either Ankeny (Des Moines suburb) or Cedar Rapids, depending on the company (Deere or Rockwell Collins).

Or possibly the Quad Cities, with the customer coming from Waterloo if it was Deere related. That's about a 90 minute drive.
                        I don't know which location the customer was actually coming from, I just guessed at quad cities. Our plant that we drove to Wednesday is middle of nowhere Iowa. Oh, wait, that's most of Iowa. Spent the night in Dyersville Wednesday and then down to Davenport Thursday night.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          In conjunction with the realignment, we're creating a new Principal role for each industry vertical. The first three Principals to be created will be Manufacturing/Retail, Financial Services, and Telco. I've applied for Principal over Manufacturing/Retail and I hope I get it, or else someone hand me the Excedrin because it's gonna be a long year.
                          Got the promotion! :-)

Of course, this is going to mean a lot of work for me over the next 6-12 months as I work with leadership to basically build out a sub-practice with tailored product and service offerings specific to our Manufacturing and Retail clients. It also means I will start to get involved in pre-sales meetings with prospective clients in those industries. I'm a little nervous, but very excited.

Comment

• Congrats!! That's great news. Hope it comes with a decent bump in pay.

I just spent about three hours this afternoon trying to figure out an issue with UPS Campus Ship. I am ready to pull out all my eyelashes. I hate this part of my job.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Got the promotion! :-)

Of course, this is going to mean a lot of work for me over the next 6-12 months as I work with leadership to basically build out a sub-practice with tailored product and service offerings specific to our Manufacturing and Retail clients. It also means I will start to get involved in pre-sales meetings with prospective clients in those industries. I'm a little nervous, but very excited.
                              Nice! Good luck and good health!!!

Comment

• Thank you! I find out the exact amount next week, but yes I should be getting a solid pay bump. The new role is considered equivalent to a manager at my firm, so it will be in that salary band.

Comment

Working...
                                X