This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The phrases “not my job” and “then pay me for it to my job” are infinitely better.
    Noted.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• This isn't directed at anyone here.

I don't understand why I have to list my vacation anywhere except my calendar. I have it fully open and readable by everyone in the corporation (except for items marked private). If you need to know where I am, check my calendar. I already have to put my vacation in like three separate systems, not doing 25 more so someone else doesn't have to lift a finger. I have had a few people say that they want everyone to sent a meeting notice for 7:XX AM w/ your days off. You know that Outlook has a My Group feature if you're on 365/Exchange that allows you to overlay your entire team's calendars with a single click, right?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        This isn't directed at anyone here.

I don't understand why I have to list my vacation anywhere except my calendar. I have it fully open and readable by everyone in the corporation (except for items marked private). If you need to know where I am, check my calendar. I already have to put my vacation in like three separate systems, not doing 25 more so someone else doesn't have to lift a finger. I have had a few people say that they want everyone to sent a meeting notice for 7:XX AM w/ your days off. You know that Outlook has a My Group feature if you're on 365/Exchange that allows you to overlay your entire team's calendars with a single click, right?
        Depends on whether you need approval, and whether the calendar supports approval, but I can imagine every function required being supported in even a relatively braindead tool as long as the backend was relational.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Depends on whether you need approval, and whether the calendar supports approval, but I can imagine every function required being supported in even a relatively braindead tool as long as the backend was relational.
          approval, which we never really need in my position, is handled through a separate application. - Edit: It shares its function with HR balance accruals

Edit:
          Time off financial accounting is handled through another application
          Calendaring is handled through Outlook
          God help you if you need to take STD or leave
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-27-2022, 01:13 PM.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

approval, which we never really need in my position, is handled through a separate application.
            Well then unless they talk to each other that's at least 2 places.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Well then unless they talk to each other that's at least 2 places.
              Correct. I was mainly grousing about having to send separate people invites for my vacation when they can look at my calendar with a click.

All the other crap is stuff I begrudgingly comply with because it's just how it works.
              Code:

Comment

• I had to change my work domain PW for the first time in 15 years because there was a data breach. ****ing just this 1 time and so far it is only working on one of my company issued laptops. With my phone it works for the Outlook app, but not with the default Android mail app which I find to be much more user friendly than Outlook Mobile. fffffffff

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  With my phone it works for the Outlook app, but not with the default Android mail app ...
                  Assuming Office365 based mail, I'm not surprised.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Correct. I was mainly grousing about having to send separate people invites for my vacation when they can look at my calendar with a click.
                    Homie don't play dat. I begrudgingly enter my vacations on both my personal and departmental calendars because nobody (self included) has taken the time to make the latter a filtered agglomeration of the former, but I am not sending anybody a LMGTFY special notice of my vacation. If they can't figure it out from trying to invite me to a meeting and being stymied they are probably too stupid to survive the morning commute so problem solves itself.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• My work groups works together on virtually everything so knowing who is in and who is out on a given day is vital. Having one place where all our folks list time off makes that easier. The request/approval process is basically "send me an email asking, I'll approve, then go put it on the calendar". I'd love to have a workflow that does this for me (i.e. employee puts in a request, I approve, bam it's on calendar). But until that happens, we do this. To my knowledge, in 2 years of managing I've never said no to a time off request that wasn't "you're on call - either switch the pager or don't take the day".
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                        My work groups works together on virtually everything so knowing who is in and who is out on a given day is vital.
                        That work pattern and no daily scrum, even virtual (Zoom/Teams)?
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

That work pattern and no daily scrum, even virtual (Zoom/Teams)?
                          No daily scrum, but we use Teams relentlessly for meetings and chat.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I put my time into our Time Management System which goes to my manager for approval - not to OK my time off, I can take off days whenever. The manager approval is mostly to deduct the hours from my bank of time. I also send an "appointment" with my days off to her and the two others on my team so we can see when we will all be out. My teammates do that as well. My manager does not. Her boss does not. I think her boss tells her I'm going to be out and she should cascade it down to us. She didn't do that either.

We are literally in the middle of launching a huge global initiative, taking over one floor in our home office/corporate headquarters with graphics, games, etc. that I had to manage the installation for. Co-worker A who has a big role was there with me both days. Direct Mgr, who has even a bigger role in it, is on vacation with her family all week. This work is being done this week because we have a video shoot with the Chairman/CEO/, the President and about six other high level execs Monday and Tuesday. So, in my opinion for two people who are largely responsible for all this work, it's the wrong week to not be in the office, but whatever.

In addition, as I mentioned, we have our own team meeting the same two days as the video shoot for which I've been asked to do a bunch of things by Team Mgr. Stupid things that her admin can do but she asked me to do them. I was on a call yesterday with co-worker B who is flying in for the meeting and has never been in the building and asked her if she knew where she was going. She says "I was assuming someone was going to send instructions." That was most likely going to fall on me, because it always does, but no one told me, so I figured it was discussed with the four flying into town. Nope. I reached out to Team Mgr to ask her quickly what they were told, did I miss an email to do this, etc. and that's when I got her out of office. That's when I vented to Co-worker A, who knew the Team Mgr was away for a few days. If I did not send her that email yesterday, she would send an email on Friday to the whole team to say safe travels, looking forward to seeing you all and mention if they needed badge access to reach out to me and I would find out Friday afternoon late that I need to get names to security, etc. So my life gets affected. Everyone else on the team seems to be aware of her time off, but not me. She's back to work today and told me they were all supposed to reach out to me for badge access and none of them did.

While I am empowered to make decisions, etc. there are times I need to get approval or information from Direct Mgr and Team Mgr and it's usually a rush because I get brought into things so late that things have to get done in a hurry. And if they don't give me a two-second "BTW I'm out for a few days but you can text me if you have any questions" I get a bit annoyed. Team Mgr hardly ever puts her time off into Outlook so it's not like I can check there.

I realize I've been venting here quite a bit lately. I'm buying several MegaMillions tickets this week.

Comment

• Apparently "Gary from Chicago" asked a bad thing ...

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                I'm buying several MegaMillions tickets this week.
                                Thanks for the reminder!

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X