Antiwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

The way I interpret it is 44 applicants get no response from potential employer. The ghosted is 2 applicants the employer tries to contact for an interview and employer is ghosted. Withdrawn are applicants that say no to job before getting an offer.

I've only hired for 1 position so far in my career, and this graphic doesn't surprise me. Now if I can just get my employer to approve posting a backfill for my Quality Engineer that is moving across the country, I can go through this fun* process again.

*fun of course being dripping with sarcasm.
    The way I read it, there is one applicant who filed 67 applications (I filed over that for my last job hunt). 44 companies never got back to him. 14 sent him a polite no. 9 offered him a first interview.

He accepted 9 interviews. 2 ghosted him. After the 7 interviews he had, 5 offered him a 2nd interview, while 2 did not. Of the 5 2nd interviews, he got 3 offers. He made a counteroffer, they accepted, and he then rejected the other 2 offers.

This seems reasonable to me. I'll have to go back to my notes but IINM my last job hunt was something like this:

80 applications. 20 no response, 10 polite no, 50 arrangements for interview (these were first tier interview with the contracting company talent scout, not interviews with the eventual job site).

50 first interviews. 10 did not follow back up with me or in any case never got their act together (I'd call that ghosting), 10 I told no flat out (poor match with their style), 30 we both expressed interest.

30 second interviews, almost all with the contracting company hiring agent or in a couple really small cases one of their officers. 10 I got a bad vibe, the other 20 were interesting enough that we talked about specific job recs. Of these, 10 I asked to keep looking for me but didn't like that rec, 10 I asked to move to the next stage.

10 "third" interviews, meaning the first interview with the actual people I would work with -- the PM, leads at site, etc. Of these, I rejected 2 out of hand as bad fits, while 4 said they were close to hiring other candidates.

I received 4 offers, compared them, and took the one I thought would be the most fun. I didn't present a counter because I didn't want to wind up with a lesser job due to haggling and the offers were a 40% raise over my current salary which had plateaued because of 15 years at the same company. Frankly at that level I didn't care about differences in money any more.

The only thing about the guy's chart that surprises me is 44 of 67 companies did not contact him. This could just be a difference in Contractor world, because in my business very few companies never get back to you because you are their revenue stream. In my case, the 20/80 non-responses was acceptable because I was asking for a very high salary given that I was completely changing my job and essentially "starting over."
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-24-2022, 09:21 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

The way I interpret it is 44 applicants get no response from potential employer. The ghosted is 2 applicants the employer tries to contact for an interview and employer is ghosted. Withdrawn are applicants that say no to job before getting an offer.

I've only hired for 1 position so far in my career, and this graphic doesn't surprise me. Now if I can just get my employer to approve posting a backfill for my Quality Engineer that is moving across the country, I can go through this fun* process again.

*fun of course being dripping with sarcasm.
      I’m a hiring manager for the first time in my career. Trying to hire a first-level manager as a direct report. Had 3 of my 4 candidates I selected to interview (all 3 of my internal applicants) withdraw before their interviews. Selected more candidates, conducted 4 panel interviews with a panel of 3 directors and HR. Made an offer to our sole remaining internal candidate. He accepts. 8 days later says he’s accepted an external offer. F me. Started screening applicants again. Both of the ones I talked to today flat out told me that they only applied to see if they could convince me to bump it up to a second-level manager position. No, not F me. F *you*!
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

I'm a hiring manager for the first time in my career. Trying to hire a first-level manager as a direct report. Had 3 of my 4 candidates I selected to interview (all 3 of my internal applicants) withdraw before their interviews. Selected more candidates, conducted 4 panel interviews with a panel of 3 directors and HR. Made an offer to our sole remaining internal candidate. He accepts. 8 days later says he's accepted an external offer. F me. Started screening applicants again. Both of the ones I talked to today flat out told me that they only applied to see if they could convince me to bump it up to a second-level manager position. No, not F me. F *you*!
        Wow. I had to read this three times to digest the full horror of it.

Is it an absolutely ball buster job? Is it career dead end technology? Is, um, your company in trouble -- like, a lot of trouble? Are you publicly traded, can you whisper your ticker code?

The internals pulling out is particularly no bueno. Dude, maybe they know something you don't. :-)
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The internals pulling out is particularly no bueno. Dude, maybe they know something you don't. :-)
          Hardly a surprise, really. Without things like pensions, it's the wild west out there to earn enough money to retire. Instead of looking to move up in the company you reside in, it's far more financially advantageous to constantly jump companies. I saw this pretty often for the last 12 years of my career.

The funny thing is that the pensions probably cost companies a lot less money- between the raising war and the cost to re-train people. And, to be honest, the value of my pension equates to roughly a constant 25% of my salary put into an account that earned 4.5% over 30 years. Or if put in aggressive stock funds that averaged the S&P growth over the last 30 years (10%) it was a 11% of my salary that grew at 10%.
          So I got a 10-25% bonus that was put away for the future.

Makes me feel a LOT better about staying until that fully vested. Especially since I was able to combine that with a 401k.

Those days are LONG gone- with 401k limits at 20k/year, people need massive incomes to put into their own IRA's to make up for the loss of pensions. Which is why you see people constantly jump companies.

Comment

• Candidates accepting offers and backing out before they start is not uncommon right now actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Wow. I had to read this three times to digest the full horror of it.

Is it an absolutely ball buster job? Is it career dead end technology? Is, um, your company in trouble -- like, a lot of trouble? Are you publicly traded, can you whisper your ticker code?

The job is f’n amazing - getting to work for me is just a bonus!

We’re just severely understaffed due to external attrition (since the whole industry is understaffed) so anyone who wants a change (or is within sniffing distance of a promotion) can get multiple internal offers just for the asking. We’re cannibalizing ourselves and not bringing in enough external hires to fill all the seats in this sick game of reverse musical chairs.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• BTW, after interviewing last month, I was not selected for the new manager role. The first round was conducted by associate VPs from another department, presumably to provide more objectivity to the process. I actually got a phone call about it from one of our department's directors immediately after they made their first round cuts.

He was...apologetic? Said that all 7 first round interviews were so good that they struggled to narrow it down to a Top 4 for the second round. He said he semi-seriously asked our CEO, "How do we promote all of these candidates?" Unfortunately the decision came down to narrow differences in some key areas. I sort of expected this, as we tend to hire pretty high caliber/creme de la creme folks.

Anyway, he assured me that overall I had made a very good impression in the interview and that after talking to me personally in Boston the previous week, he's actually worried that he could lose me to another, more technical role within the firm. Not sure I want to go down the platform architect path just yet, but the option could be there. For now, apparently the target for our department is to have 150 employees by the end of 2023. We're currently about to cross 50. So, there will almost certainly be more opportunities for promotion and leadership roles in the coming months.

Comment

• I'm at the point where I enjoy my job, but I'm not liking my employer and the industry is terrible.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• So I accepted a new position. Internal, in our new consolidated IT organization. I'll be the EHR manager of portals, mobile devices and telehealth. What makes it strange is that the salary offer came in like 30% over what I wanted.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Congrats! Is it a remote or onsite job?

Comment

• Fully remote, though as a manager I'll likely have to go into an office somewhere, at some point, for periodic meetings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                          So I accepted a new position. Internal, in our new consolidated IT organization. I'll be the EHR manager of portals, mobile devices and telehealth. What makes it strange is that the salary offer came in like 30% over what I wanted.
                          Congrats
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I have an interview for a modeling agency on Tuesday at 1 PM.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Congrats
                              Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                I have an interview for a modeling agency on Tuesday at 1 PM.
                                Exciting!

Comment

Working...
                                X