This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Am I wrong to be upset that I found out today (Thursday) that my manager is going to be in Florida next week? I'm on a conference call with a bunch of people and she mentioned it.
    Do you have other things to spend your time and energy on that would be of greater benefit to you or those close to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Work trip or vacation? If the latter, not sure why you'd be upset? Boss being gone for a week means the cat is away and the mice will play...
      No idea. It matters because we all are supposed to provide when we're going to be out. We've had three 1:1 conversations this week, you think it might have come up.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Do you have other things to spend your time and energy on that would be of greater benefit to you or those close to you?
        I'm assuming this is a dig of some sort? I think it's a bit unprofessional to not make your team aware when you will be out of the office.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I'm assuming this is a dig of some sort? I think it's a bit unprofessional to not make your team aware when you will be out of the office.
          Not a dig at all. Just pragmatic--and probably insensitive.

Comment

• I barely tell anyone unless it will directly affect a project.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• My boss lets us know and also gives us the on call supervisor for the time she's out.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• So i have a tentative offer (waiting on HR... and waiting and waiting) for one of the newly created manager positions as my hospital's parent company reforms our IT services.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                  So i have a tentative offer (waiting on HR... and waiting and waiting) for one of the newly created manager positions as my hospital's parent company reforms our IT services.
                  Congrats!

i was in a bind yesterday over an internal manager offer I was making yesterday.

market is crazy high, so hiring someone already here is cheaper than off the street. But our salaries are so far below market averages now- do I allow the requested 20% bump for a lateral move or do the traditional 10%? Creating inequalities on the team sucks, but I’d rather this person get a bigger bump now and not leave us in a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Congrats!

i was in a bind yesterday over an internal manager offer I was making yesterday.

market is crazy high, so hiring someone already here is cheaper than off the street. But our salaries are so far below market averages now- do I allow the requested 20% bump for a lateral move or do the traditional 10%? Creating inequalities on the team sucks, but I’d rather this person get a bigger bump now and not leave us in a month.
                    Thanks!

This is something everyone needs to work on and normalize. To me, the right thing to do is pay the person their value.

Also, I agree that internal promotions are usually cheaper than external hires. I've been saying for...ever... that it's far cheaper to just pay people what they ask for than to have them leave and try to fill the position. It's also better in every other conceivable way, but in terms of straight dollars and cents (and sense?), it's still better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Congrats!

You get a new job and bank the 20% lateral move personally.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                        So i have a tentative offer (waiting on HR... and waiting and waiting) for one of the newly created manager positions as my hospital's parent company reforms our IT services.
                        COngrats Swan!

Also some personal news. My wife is finally getting licensed and has been working at just below 0.75 FTE because of the ****hole scheduling in her current positioning. She's been interviewing with three companies (including internally). She already got two offers for four positions at one of the companies, including a position she didn't think she'd get. She also just wrapped up an interview at a very large company within her field.

So incredibly proud of her for going for this and taking the scary steps into new territory. She's an amazing woman. Through all the hardships and everything she's gone through with this profession and education just ****ing her over, it's finally paying off.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

COngrats Swan!

Also some personal news. My wife is finally getting licensed and has been working at just below 0.75 FTE because of the ****hole scheduling in her current positioning. She's been interviewing with three companies (including internally). She already got two offers for four positions at one of the companies, including a position she didn't think she'd get. She also just wrapped up an interview at a very large company within her field.

So incredibly proud of her for going for this and taking the scary steps into new territory. She's an amazing woman. Through all the hardships and everything she's gone through with this profession and education just ****ing her over, it's finally paying off.
                          Thanks, and awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

COngrats Swan!

Congratulations to your wife!
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• At my job, there's an insufficient supply of coffee and curse words to keep up with demands.
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• I just had a surgical screw removed from my right foot. My boss knew ahead of time I'd be taking tomorrow and Sunday off for rest.

Boss from Forest Glen 2 comes over and asks me to work first shift there tomorrow. I politely decline because of my foot.

​​​​​​My boss called around 7:30 repeated the request. I said no again. And kept saying no until I hung up. I get a text from her asking "did you just hang up on me?"

Comment

Working...
                                X