Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't want goals arbitrarily set for me by management without my input. If you're saying it should be a two-way street, then I agree. I think it is important to ask each employee how they want to grow and what they want to be doing in both the near (6-12 mo) and intermediate (1-3 years) future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      I get asked to travel for things because my co-workers have childcare issues. Now, I don't mind because I have no problem (pre-pandemic) to get on a plane to go anywhere, but when I hear that as a reason, it's annoying.
      I'm pretty sure this is going to happen to me and my fellow childless coworkers as we restart client travel over the next year. My manager already asked me if I was OK to travel, including whether or not I would be able to travel to Canada if needed. I fully expect some of our consultants to say they don't want to go anywhere because of their kids, and/or can't cross the border because they refused the COVID vaccine.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I fully expect some of our consultants to say they don't want to go anywhere because of their kids, and/or can't cross the border because they refused the COVID vaccine.
        Sounds like you (1) get bonuses, (2) get recognition, and (3) get advancement while your broodsow Dumpy peers get to clean urine and binge meth and Tucker.

Where is the lose here? Seems like meritocracy at work.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• One of the more interesting side effects of remote work is who has come to the forefront as employees. I look at my team over the past two years, and the team members that have risen in quality and ... "popularity" are the ones that are quiet, a little shy perhaps, but do outstanding work.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Sounds like you (1) get bonuses, (2) get recognition, and (3) get advancement while your broodsow Dumpy peers get to clean urine and binge meth and Tucker.

Where is the lose here? Seems like meritocracy at work.
            We are all eligible for quarterly bonuses based on our percentage of hours billed to clients. After two years of this, I'm not expecting a lot of clients to be onboard with paying our travel expenses. Sales is supposed to be starting to push clients to have us on-site again, but I guarantee that's one of the things that will get cut from the first draft of the SOW when negotiations start. "They've done it remotely for 2 years, why can't they keep doing it remotely?"

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

What frustrates me on those kind of notes is that it places management responsibilities on the worker. How in the world is it the basic worker's job to make up their goals every year? That is exactly what management is supposed to do, for crying out loud.

If it were my choice, I would put in as a goal to sit in a comfy chair and surf USCHO all day long. Pay me to do that.
              shh! I am management (well, plant level in a huge company that has at least 30 mfg plants in the US). I put mine in based on what I already know from our plant manager and my manager, then sent one of mine to my staff and said "copy this, where it says 3 a month for the quality team, put 1 a month for you" and talked to them about other goals they could/should input.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• *smoke pouring out of my ears*

Coming here to get my vitriol out before I email my manager who did not do what I asked and risk getting reprimanded for tone.

I am managing an in-office activation starting this Monday at 7:30am as we start welcoming back employees to the office. Three weeks ago I emailed my direct manager and asked her or her manager (head of our team and my former manager) to request that I get a parking spot in our building for those 10 days I will need to be in the office at 7:00am to manage this activation. In that email I said here are the two guys (Facilities and Security) and here are their managers and their managers' managers to direct the request to. Because Facilities Guy and Security Guy are told to say no especially now that the building will be open. What does my manager do? This week - not when I asked - she emails Security Guy only. He emails me to say no. Not her.

So, now I want to say to her THIS IS WHY I GAVE YOU THEIR MANAGER NAMES. They make exceptions when their bosses tell them to. I am now going to expense parking for those days and we'll have to pay for that. I am not paying $60-$80 week out of my pocket to park. I should park in a closer garage that is $40/day but I won't. The head of our team who is a VP should go to the other VP and say my employee needs to be there to manage this, let her park. I'm mad because I reached out a while ago and told them why I was asking and they didn't pay attention and now we're a couple of days out and it's taking time out of my day to deal with it.

Comment

• changing jobs in a few weeks and now in "I don't give a ****" mode

going from a biotech with around 3,000 employees, operations in three states, plus Japan and China to a Boston-based tech startup with ~34 employees

Comment

• My boss took me off doubles every other weekend.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      changing jobs in a few weeks and now in "I don't give a ****" mode

going from a biotech with around 3,000 employees, operations in three states, plus Japan and China to a Boston-based tech startup with ~34 employees
                      whoa. nice. Best of luck.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• 16 more working days left. So excited!

Comment

Very cool. Congratulations!
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sounds awesome! Good look with the new job. I also started a new thing few months ago, my small flower delivery business. It is not easy especially at the first stages and we even had to take a loan from Besteforbruksl?n.no , luckily last 2 months are finally profitable and we are ready to close all the debts and start saving up some cash.
                            Last edited by anygreen; 04-04-2022, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Very cool. Congratulations!
                              I'm very excited, but it is a bit scary leaving a stable work situation for a startup though.

working remotely, so I don't get the free catered lunch perk. They also give a monthly Doordash stipend for work from home food, but it's only $100 and Doordash is not available in Bar Harbor, ME anyway

Comment

I'm very excited, but it is a bit scary leaving a stable work situation for a startup though.
                                You'll be awesome. The rush and excitement of leaving a long career with a big company for a young start-up with hungry, intelligent coworkers is pure crack.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X