This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

So burning all two weeks of your "unscheduled" time off in Jan/Feb because you wanted to go drinking on a Fri/Sat despite knowing that you need to work on Sat/Sun is the employer's fault?

That's what I mean when I say that there isn't the slightest hint of work ethic/responsibility here... If an employer was that careless, they would go under. It's being an adult and claiming responsibility for your actions... People can plan in advance (as long as there are time off slots available. Each shift can only have so many people scheduled off in advance). You just need to arrange it on the previous work day.

Again, I'm sorry that people can't plan behavior like this in advance.

That is what is the major issue with my work deal. It's people who are just irresponsible about life in general.
    40 years of tireless brainwashing to get a reasonably intelligent person to the point where this is his go to.

The Kochs do know marketing, I'll give them that.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

40 years of tireless brainwashing to get a reasonably intelligent person to the point where this is his go to.

Yup, the American default is “they must lying and trying to game the system.”
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I don't follow you here Kep.

So you're saying I'm being a pawn/follower for knowing that I'm in a job that requires me to show up or use time off and thinking critically when deciding to partake in actions that are likely to result in me not being able to work the following day?
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Yup, the American default is “they must lying and trying to game the system.”
          This isn't an accident. It's been the message drummed into heads for decades by the people who squeeze workers. Saint Ronnie didn't even start it, he just perfected it. And the boobs loved him for it because everybody knows that one person who is an actual scoundrel. With that person thrust into the Derps' mind the Right was able to destroy all workers' rights.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This isn't an accident. It's been the message drummed into heads for decades by the people who squeeze workers. Saint Ronnie didn't even start it, he just perfected it. And the boobs loved him for it because everybody knows that one person who is an actual scoundrel. With that person thrust into the Derps' mind the Right was able to destroy all workers' rights.
            I suppose.

We're starting to see "grunt work" wages increase towards a point to where people will actually WANT to come in and do them. But reaching that is still a long ways off.

So this is what we have to do to keep the wheels on the bus so to speak. Cause without it "grunt work" doesn't get done and everything collapses.

Comment

I don't follow you here Kep.

So you're saying I'm being a pawn/follower for knowing that I'm in a job that requires me to show up or use time off and thinking critically when deciding to partake in actions that are likely to result in me not being able to work the following day?
              The fact that you’re equating “sick day” with “I went out drinking” instead of “I’m sick” says yes, you are a pawn.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                My government employer separates sick and vacation time.

The benefit is that there's no cap on accrued sick leave. So if you're young and healthy you can keep accruing it and then if you get hit with a major illness, or pregnancy, or whatever, you'll have the sick time saved up to use without dipping into your vacation time.

Extra benefit is that your sick leave balance at retirement can be converted into health care premiums, which can cover your insurance till Medicare kicks in if you retire before 65.

oh, the other real benefit is that unused vacation time is paid out in full upon leaving state employment. If you had merged PTO, no way that pay out happens.
                Nothing prevents a company that has merged sick leave and vacation into PTO from doing those things. I could let employees accrue an uncapped amount of PTO, let them accrue and carry over no PTO, or anything in between. I can also pay it all out upon termination of employment.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  The fact that you’re equating “sick day” with “I went out drinking” instead of “I’m sick” says yes, you are a pawn.
                  Ok, let me clairify:

We don't have "sick days" in the sense that others do. It's all either PTO (80 hours/2 weeks for everyone. Can be scheduled or unscheduled) or Vacation (varies. 40-120 hours/1-3 weeks. Only scheduled in advance).

So you guys believe that it's ok for a worker to openly decide that they just don't feel like working for whatever reason and that they don't need to follow through/fullfil their responsibilities?

Edit: I do wish there was more flexibility when it came to actually getting sick or injured. I'd have a third category for that.

Comment

Ok, let me clairify:

We don't have "sick days" in the sense that others do. It's all either PTO (80 hours/2 weeks for everyone. Can be scheduled or unscheduled) or Vacation (varies. 40-120 hours/1-3 weeks. Only scheduled in advance).

So you guys believe that it's ok for a worker to openly decide that they just don't feel like working for whatever reason and that they don't need to follow through/fullfil their responsibilities?

Edit: I do wish there was more flexibility when it came to actually getting sick or injured. I'd have a third category for that.
                    What the hell are you talking about? If you're sick then yeah, you should be able to be able to decide "I'm sick" and stay home. And your employer should encourage that. It helps keep people healthy and makes sure your workers are healthy and can rest, recover, and return to work sooner.

We're not talking about deciding to just not work because you're hungover or lazy. This is exactly the same nonsense that the GOP uses to try and pass voter ID laws. People abusing sick time is an insanely scarce problem relative to the population as a whole.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That's a really nice retention tool.

But it's still a gun to your head. There should be no limit on sick leave. You should not "accrue" it, it simply is -- 100% compensation for the duration. A sick person is sick, pay them while they get better. If that gives a business the sad, apply for relief. If that gives a taxpayer the sad, **** you sociopath.

Stop running the country for the benefit of the least empathetic. Those people aren't "fiscally conservative." They're mentally and morally deficient.
                      The only change I'd make is that you shouldn't start out at 0 for sick leave. But I mean, until you hit something like 400 hours saved up, you get something like 7.5 hours of sick time every 2 weeks (you get less at that point, but you also have the option to convert new sick time accrual to vacation time at a 2:1 ratio at that point, too), so it never really becomes an issue for most people after the first couple of months. I honestly think I have about 6 months' saved up, which frankly at that point you're running into the short-term or even long-term disability arena if you can't come back to work by that point.

Comment

I suppose.

We're starting to see "grunt work" wages increase towards a point to where people will actually WANT to come in and do them. But reaching that is still a long ways off.

So this is what we have to do to keep the wheels on the bus so to speak. Cause without it "grunt work" doesn't get done and everything collapses.
                        I think the fact that pay at the bottom hasn't materially increased in decades is a big part of this professional/non-professional divide. As you say, pay people a fair wage and they're a whole lot more likely to show up on time. Continue to treat them like replaceable garbage, and they'll act accordingly.
                        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

What the hell are you talking about? If you're sick then yeah, you should be able to be able to decide "I'm sick" and stay home. And your employer should encourage that. It helps keep people healthy and makes sure your workers are healthy and can rest, recover, and return to work sooner.

We're not talking about deciding to just not work because you're hungover or lazy. This is exactly the same nonsense that the GOP uses to try and pass voter ID laws. People abusing sick time is an insanely scarce problem relative to the population as a whole.
                          My Company doesnt have "Sick time".... If you have to miss work beyond a week due to illness you go on short term disability or whatever and get like 75% of your average paycheck.

Everything else is "Use it how you want"... At my company, people burn through ALL their time by March, and then cry like a toddler who had a toy taken away when they get disciplinary write-ups for missing work due to issues like car trouble or kid needs in Sept/Oct... That was the original point of my post a few pages ago... Employees use all their time and then complain that they are out of time and should have more...

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Nothing prevents a company that has merged sick leave and vacation into PTO from doing those things.
                            Show me one that does, and I'll show you a bridge I have to sell.

Tech companies providing "unlimited PTO" always have the unspoken catch of "but not really."

I believe you said your employees get 25 days of paid PTO per year (can't remember if you just used 25 as an example or not, and I'm too lazy to go back and look). You haven't said there's any carryover except for some flexing around new year's, so I assume that's all they get.

I currently get 22 days of vacation (4 weeks + 2 floating holidays) plus 9 scheduled holidays and 5 weeks of sick time (this might be more like 3 weeks for me since i've accrued so much already) per year. I get to carry all unused vacation time up to a cap of 2x my annual accrual, so up to 44 days' worth. I can accrue an unlimited amount of sick time. I like my deal more.
                            Last edited by unofan; 02-10-2022, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• I have about 45 days left before retirement. Gave my Company a full quarter notice to give them plenty of time to backfill my position. I agree with Kep to some degree that you owe your Company the same level of loyalty that they would extend to you. However, I feel some loyalty to 100+ people who count on me to make sure that they are paid their correct commissions through the end of the year. That flat out would not happens if I left.
                              I've worked in Accounting, Audit and Finance for almost 45 years (just like everyone else, I became an Accountant for the fast cars and women). The jobs weren't always fulfilling, but I made sure that other parts of my life were. Coaching soccer and running the town soccer program. Doing youth ministry for more than 20 years. Volunteering at great places like Greater Boston Food Bank and Cradles to Crayons in the Boston area.
                              Looking forward to more volunteer oportunities, travel with my beautiful wife of 40 years, and spending more time with my grandkids. Almost time to drop the mic........
                              Last edited by RENCEB; 02-12-2022, 04:16 PM.
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

• Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                                I have about 45 days left before retirement. Gave my Company a full quarter notice to give them plenty of time to backfull my position. I agree with Kep to some degree that you owe your Company the same level of loyalty that they would extend to you. However, I feel some loyalty to 100+ people who count on me to make sure that they are paid their correct commissions through the end of the year. That flat out would not happens if I left.
                                I've worked in Accounting, Audit and Finance for almost 45 years (just like everyone else, I became an Accountant for the fast cars and women). The jobs weren't always fulfilling, but I made sure that other parts of my life were. Coaching soccer and running the town soccer program. Doing youth ministry for more than 20 years. Volunteering at great places like Greater Boston Food Bank and Cradles to Crayons in the Boston area.
                                Looking forward to more volunteer oportunities, travel with my beautiful wife of 40 years, and spending more time with my grandkids. Almost time to drop the mic........
                                I hope you have an absolutely amazing retirement!
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X