Antiwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    My work decided to celebrate my second week back at work by disciplining me for being absent. With COVID.
    Where's your union to push back on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Where's your union to push back on that?
      Already being taken care of. Apparently it's something new the company just decided and the Union Rep was not particularly happy. Came into the building real quick after I messaged him.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Already being taken care of. Apparently it's something new the company just decided and the Union Rep was not particularly happy. Came into the building real quick after I messaged him.
        So much for the lesson to stay home if you are sick. Back to "do your shift, even if you are dying" mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

So much for the lesson to stay home if you are sick. Back to "do your shift, even if you are dying" mode.
          No it's more "we're telling you you have to stay home but we're also going to punish you for missing work." Good news is my union is grieving every single instance of this with the willingness to take every single one to arbitration if need be (because they'll win easily).
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

No it's more "we're telling you you have to stay home but we're also going to punish you for missing work." Good news is my union is grieving every single instance of this with the willingness to take every single one to arbitration if need be (because they'll win easily).
            If that's the message, that also says- "don't tell us you have COVID, or we will penalize you for it" which is the same as ignoring being sick to make money off of you.

Comment

It sure seems illegal for someone to penalize you for following law and policy.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I keep coming to work, checking email, and discovering HR keeps soliciting donations of PTO.

There's a reason this place is always hiring.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• What is the discipline they've imposed? Is it actually some form of discipline like a write up or a suspension or something, or is it a requirement that you use paid time off or vacation time or something for your absence, or is it something different?
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    What is the discipline they've imposed? Is it actually some form of discipline like a write up or a suspension or something, or is it a requirement that you use paid time off or vacation time or something for your absence, or is it something different?
                    It was a write up, formal discipline.

I’ve already written about my pay ordeal.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

It was a write up, formal discipline.

I’ve already written about my pay ordeal.
                      Ok, interesting. Thanks for answering. I must have missed your posts about whatever happened with your pay.

I'm genuinely interested in this because we've had to deal with similar issues in terms of people with Covid, people who've been in close contact to people with Covid outside of work, etc..., and it has been a challenge trying to sort through all of the variations while still trying to treat everyone equitably, so I'm always interested in hearing how other employers are handling it, and disputes that are coming up.

It seems sort of incongruous to me that an employer would write up an employee for testing positive for Covid and then staying home.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Not sure how jj's union operates or what agreements they have around comp with his employer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a tactic his company is using to try and deny people promotions or annual raises. "You got written up for an unexcused absence, so no (or reduced) raise for you this year per the terms of your CBA."

Comment

Not sure how jj's union operates or what agreements they have around comp with his employer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a tactic his company is using to try and deny people promotions or annual raises. "You got written up for an unexcused absence, so no (or reduced) raise for you this year per the terms of your CBA."
                          Well that's what I was wondering. The whole thing seems confusing. I have to assume people get sick all the time at that work place, whether it's from Covid or the flu or some other condition. Does everyone get a written warning for getting sick, because that seems pretty harsh.

I mean I guess I could see it if it was discipline for some technicality or something like you didn't call in to the right person or sufficiently far in advance of your shift or something as required by the contract, but just writing someone up for missing work due to illness seems sort of BS.

Comment

Not sure how jj's union operates or what agreements they have around comp with his employer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a tactic his company is using to try and deny people promotions or annual raises. "You got written up for an unexcused absence, so no (or reduced) raise for you this year per the terms of your CBA."
                            Not that, our raises are guaranteed per the contract.

It’s really just an attempt at “being fair”, because they’re punishing everyone no matter the circumstances. Most likely some idiot MBA manager at the regional level decided this was the best idea.

It could also be a response to the newly elected hardline union leadership.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Well that's what I was wondering. The whole thing seems confusing. I have to assume people get sick all the time at that work place, whether it's from Covid or the flu or some other condition. Does everyone get a written warning for getting sick, because that seems pretty harsh.

I mean I guess I could see it if it was discipline for some technicality or something like you didn't call in to the right person or sufficiently far in advance of your shift or something as required by the contract, but just writing someone up for missing work due to illness seems sort of BS.
                              So we’re allowed three “occurrences” over a nine month period before they start discipline. And the only exceptions are either FMLA or something that would qualify as disability, either short-term or long-term. It doesn’t if you went to the ER and had a note from a doctor, got delayed in travel via a storm, or really anything, don’t ****ing miss work.

What’s hilarious is they don’t want people “gaming the system” so all it leads to is people gaming FMLA.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

So we’re allowed three “occurrences” over a nine month period before they start discipline. And the only exceptions are either FMLA or something that would qualify as disability, either short-term or long-term. It doesn’t if you went to the ER and had a note from a doctor, got delayed in travel via a storm, or really anything, don’t ****ing miss work.

What’s hilarious is they don’t want people “gaming the system” so all it leads to is people gaming FMLA.
                                Man, that's a terrible system. I could see where it would definitely "encourage" workers to turn a one day illness into three days, with medical care, just to try to get under the FMLA.

Of all the systems I've been exposed to as an employee or an employer, I still like our current one the best. Maybe 20 years ago we went away from vacation time, sick leave and all the rest. Everything is just PTO. I don't care why you are gone, whether you're sick, in Mexico on vacation, or home banging the babysitter. Use your PTO until you're out, and at that point you need to show up for work.

Comment

Working...
                                X