X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Mother Raytheon did this all the time.

I swear it's by design and slow rolling payments to steal compound interest from employees is a profit center for them.
    It’s very on brand for my company.

1. It fits right into “we want to take care of yourself and your family and stay home if you’re sick but, seriously, don’t ****ing miss work or you’ll be in trouble.” doublespeak.

2. It also fits into the “we’ve created this small, understaffed department (that’s likely outsourced) to handle this because a) management is too busy micromanaging the operations to actually perform management tasks and b) our HR departments don’t have actual HR people because that’s expensive so we’ve stuck bad performing managers there instead and trained them to do basic tasks and outsourced any real HR work.” culture.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• So, gripe time.

My hospital is part of a new company. Our name is not on the masthead. Several of our senior leaders (the c-suite folks) have already left, as they were being cut out of the new company. Whatever, that's life. But on the IT side, where I work, the process is taking forever. My manager is looking at a promotion to a Director position (which she effectively does the job of that now, but we're small so she gets a Manager title). I think she might quit if she doesn't get it, and that would make me very unhappy. Meanwhile, I'm a team lead and hoping to move up to manager. Most of my job is manager-level work as I lead a relatively large team directly and lead multiple cross workgroup teams (again, we're small. my position in most companies is that of a lead analyst, not really a supervisor/manager). I'm hoping that my boss gets bumped to one of the two director positions and that I get bumped up to one of the four manager positions. For me, worst case scenario is that I stay as the team lead and my manager leaves and I have a new manager to report to. So that's not ideal at all (I really like my boss and would strongly consider following her), but not untenable.

However, that's not the gripe, that's just the background.

Everyone and their mother is jockeying for position in this new company. Everyone has a million projects that absolutely have to be done right now!!! and they all require my team's work. As a result, we lurch from one "drop what you're doing" project to another, sometimes before we even finished the previous one. It's ridiculous and unsustainable, but there is no end in sight. We've complained through our management, who's fighting the good fight, but we're just completely snowed under constantly. And to make things worse, we had a hiring freeze for most of the pandemic, and we absolutely haven't caught up to the new payroll reality and we're just hemmoraging IT staff. But they won't increase salaries enough (at this point, the 2% "cost of living" raise is a total middle finger) to retain or hire new talent. So more and more work with more and more outlandish timeframe demands and fewer and fewer staff to work them.

The volume of work coming at us has been outrageous. I can understand the "oh **** we need you to set up workflows for a new antibody threatment clinic" or "we have a booster requirement so we need help getting reporting straightened out". I mean, there's this whole pandemic thing you may have read about. But the rest? Much less understanding.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Finally back at work after being out for two weeks due to COVID.

Applied last week for the emergency leave pay and had gotten no response. Went to management today to check on the status, was given a number to call (standard procedure at my company). Called the number and the lady says “oh yes, we’ve received your application but it hasn’t been processed yet because we’re waiting on documentation” “ok, it’s been a week, why wasn’t I contacted?” “Because I’ve just started the process on it. I’ll send you an email for the documentation.” “Ok, I’ll send it back today. How long until I get paid?” “Well, the documentation will need to be sent for approval and then after it’s approved it’ll up to 14 business days until you receive payment.”

*eye twitch*

“Ma’am, I have bills to pay now. I can’t be waiting three weeks. Is there a way to expedite this process?” “I’m sorry, there isn’t.”

*Jimjamesak proceeds to be very PO’d at his company (more so than usual)*
        Back in 2019 when I got really sick and was staring down a really dark path, one of the things that came up when talking to my boss was how short term disability works and all of the ****tiness that comes with it.

Basically, start the process before you need it and get the paperwork in order early. Notorious for seriously ****ing people really hard. Like, not telling people they were being cut off and letting weeks or months pass without notification. Just awful stuff for people who need it the most.

Suffice it to say, the advice i give to everyone is having a really good understanding of who to contact and where to get the forms. Have someone you can call that knows the stuff.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          2. It also fits into the “we’ve created this small, understaffed department (that’s likely outsourced) to handle this because a) management is too busy micromanaging the operations to actually perform management tasks and b) our HR departments don’t have actual HR people because that’s expensive so we’ve stuck bad performing managers there instead and trained them to do basic tasks and outsourced any real HR work.” culture.
          Remember: HR only exists to protect your company from you.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Remember: HR only exists to protect your company from you.
            Ha, I only go to HR when I need my airport badge renewed.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Back in 2019 when I got really sick and was staring down a really dark path, one of the things that came up when talking to my boss was how short term disability works and all of the ****tiness that comes with it.

Basically, start the process before you need it and get the paperwork in order early. Notorious for seriously ****ing people really hard. Like, not telling people they were being cut off and letting weeks or months pass without notification. Just awful stuff for people who need it the most.

Suffice it to say, the advice i give to everyone is having a really good understanding of who to contact and where to get the forms. Have someone you can call that knows the stuff.
              When I knew I was having my ankle surgery, I did all my due diligence about Short Term Disability months in advance, read all the info, spoke with our Human Resources Support Center. We have to take the first week out as vacation and the the STD would kick in. I got my first paycheck when I was on leave it was incorrect so I called the HRSC and someone there forgot to do something. I had notes upon notes about what was supposed to happen and I still had to follow through on it. Such a pain.

Comment

• I signed an offer today moving me from on call to full time, 32 hours a week. No more third shift!
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• That's great!! When does that start?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

When I knew I was having my ankle surgery, I did all my due diligence about Short Term Disability months in advance, read all the info, spoke with our Human Resources Support Center. We have to take the first week out as vacation and the the STD would kick in. I got my first paycheck when I was on leave it was incorrect so I called the HRSC and someone there forgot to do something. I had notes upon notes about what was supposed to happen and I still had to follow through on it. Such a pain.
                    It doesn't help that most HR people can barely function in an email client, let alone a serious HRSC operation with an HRIS software platform.

Comment

That's great!! When does that start?
                      Pretty much now.

However, because I burned myself out with 209 hours over the last month, I'm on probation. My boss, older woman, told me she will handle all my scheduling and I am not to take anything outside of what she gives me.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• I wish my supervisor would decide between "you're working too much" and "I need you to pick up a shift."

But I've learned from coworkers the best thing to do is say no, ignore the texts, ignore the phone calls.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          I wish my supervisor would decide between "you're working too much" and "I need you to pick up a shift."

But I've learned from coworkers the best thing to do is say no, ignore the texts, ignore the phone calls.
                          If you are working full time but are being treated as being part time, that's a MASSIVE problem. If they want you as a full time worker, you MUST be treated as a full time employee.

There was recent CNBC article about the current problem, where it's gotten hard to hire people for jobs- but part of the reason is that companies insist that they stick to part-time workers, to the detriment of the company being able to work. The point is that many of these massive companies have seen big profits due to the decrease of full time employees and their required benefits.

Comment

• I need to vent a little about a very petty thing that I'm almost embarrassed to be upset about here on my team. It bothers me that it bothers me, if that make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

If you are working full time but are being treated as being part time, that's a MASSIVE problem. If they want you as a full time worker, you MUST be treated as a full time employee.

There was recent CNBC article about the current problem, where it's gotten hard to hire people for jobs- but part of the reason is that companies insist that they stick to part-time workers, to the detriment of the company being able to work. The point is that many of these massive companies have seen big profits due to the decrease of full time employees and their required benefits.
                              More like "you're working so much that you're tired, falling asleep on the job, and making silly mistakes. You worked 104 hours last pay period!" and then 5 minutes later, she'll be like "I need you to pick up a shift; I have no one else!"

Comment

I need to vent a little about a very petty thing that I'm almost embarrassed to be upset about here on my team. It bothers me that it bothers me, if that make sense.
                                Go ahead. You don't need permission to vent.

Comment

Working...
                                X