Antiwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    The number floating around is that 25% of our software team (>300 people) has resigned in the last 8 weeks. Disaster is in 3…2….1….

n
    Not clear if it’s mandate related or just part of the great resignation in general. Programmers do tend to be a fiercely independent/libertarian lot.
    Given your industry, I'm sure you had a handful of dolts leave because of the vaccine, but it's a safe bet that most of them probably left for a job that paid more, a promotion, or a startup opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Oh puh-leaze. Like direct care at an AFC home is some sort of highly desirable job that pays great wages and people are beating down the door to get hired, especially in this economy. She sounds like an enormous twatwaffle.
      She is. I was left alone with a resident last night to do his night routine, and an accident happened and he fell out of bed. Screamed for help for 5 minutes to find she was in the bathroom on her phone. She looked at me like I inconvenienced her and complained about her back the entire time. Back in the office, she piled on the humiliation.

I got off the phone with my supervisor 15 minutes ago and the super's words were "that's unacceptable." She told me though I lack experience in direct care, I was brought on for other reasons.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

She is. I was left alone with a resident last night to do his night routine, and an accident happened and he fell out of bed. Screamed for help for 5 minutes to find she was in the bathroom on her phone. She looked at me like I inconvenienced her and complained about her back the entire time. Back in the office, she piled on the humiliation.

I got off the phone with my supervisor 15 minutes ago and the super's words were "that's unacceptable." She told me though I lack experience in direct care, I was brought on for other reasons.
        Direct care is some of the hardest work out there. I did it for 6 years, mostly in college and high school while working to get a degree, as you are. Don’t let that stupid bit-h get you down. You seem like an empathetic, caring person who’ll understand basically any situation one of your patients is dealing with, and therefore, will probably have the respect of your patients more than her within 25 hours on the floor, much less 25 years. How many patients do you work with?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Direct care is some of the hardest work out there. I did it for 6 years, mostly in college and high school while working to get a degree, as you are. Don’t let that stupid bit-h get you down. You seem like an empathetic, caring person who’ll understand basically any situation one of your patients is dealing with, and therefore, will probably have the respect of your patients more than her within 25 hours on the floor, much less 25 years. How many patients do you work with?
          The house has 6 residents. I've played Sorry and Yahtzee with one, told another one about my time in endurance, and received a colored in mandala from a third.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

The house has 6 residents. I've played Sorry and Yahtzee with one, told another one about my time in endurance, and received a colored in mandala from a third.
            What are their primary diagnoses? I loved working in the group home setting. I mostly worked with elderly adults suffering from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, etc. Worked with a few who had traumatic brain injuries from motorcycle and car accidents. Most of them were well-medicated and mostly stable, but interesting and challenging all the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

What are their primary diagnoses? I loved working in the group home setting. I mostly worked with elderly adults suffering from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, etc. Worked with a few who had traumatic brain injuries from motorcycle and car accidents. Most of them were well-medicated and mostly stable, but interesting and challenging all the same.
              Mine are TBI.

Also, learned from first shift lead this morning that this isn't the first time second shift lead has verbally abused a coworker or created a toxic work environment. When I emailed the house super and the higher ups she told me to contact, I also mentioned the second shift lead refused to address me by the right pronouns even after I corrected her and explained everything to her.

Comment

• Advice needed:

Looks like I'm covering the overnight shift more often than I thought.

How do I cope?

Comment

Advice needed:

Looks like I'm covering the overnight shift more often than I thought.

How do I cope?
                  I worked 9 pm - 5 am one summer. Here's my advice:

1) Force yourself to sleep exactly the same time period during the day. Your body is going to want to wander around. Don't listen to it. After about 4 weeks you acclimate.

2) Don't nap, that will mess you up worse than a drinking binge.

3) Interact with people at work as much as you can; the alienation of the overnight shift is isolation and introversion.

4) Be 20.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Agreed. I did nights on and off for a while.
                    • Treat the new shift like a day shift - if you work 7 PM to 3 AM or whatever, don't go to bed right away - just shift your sleep schedule alongside the work schedule.
                    • Try not to be awake a full day prior to going to work.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Good blackout curtains
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Also adjust your meal plan accordingly. You need to eat at a regular schedule throughout the night if that is gonna become your new normal. Don't just stuff your face at 7pm and again at 9am.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• It'll take some getting used to. Tonight, I crashed in one the home's comfortable chairs.

Comment

• Every workplace has one of three employees:

The one who is always hungry.

The one who is always cold.

And the one who is always ready to leave.

Comment

• A summary of how it's gone with one of my new clients (a West coast bank):

—————

No kickoff, no workshops, no Scrum ceremonies, no time for that. We don't even have time to review current state for platform customizations we've done that might trip you up (oh, they will trip you up). For Phase 1, we don't want to do this the right way and define specific types of requests that employees can make, we just want everything coming into these two email inboxes to be forwarded into the platform and create a generic ticket with our service center.

Here's our PM, who isn't really a PM he only coordinates meetings; just kidding, he doesn't even do that! Here's our other consulting firm, they will be telling you what our actual requirements are. You can pretty much forget about that flimsy "requirements" Excel we handed over at the start while we impatiently waited for your bosses to staff our engagement. The real requirements will trickle in slowly after we've started sprinting, because we didn't want to do our due diligence to begin with. Here's our HR IT Ops team, except they're useless and don't make the dev cycle rules, our IT platform team does. The HR IT Ops folks are definitely concerned about your team stepping on the development work they've already done though, even when you explain to them exactly why there's no impact! They don't understand Agile either, especially not how testing works. No, you cannot meet with the platform team, they shall remain a faceless, overarching impediment to progress. They decree that you may only have full admin rights in development, not any other environment. But we'll pretend you have admin in QA when it comes time to test and expect you to have everything setup for us.

We will only give you 2-3 hrs/wk for meetings, during which we will mostly avoid taking responsibility for decisions and action items. We are especially unsure of who is responsible for getting the email inboxes setup and configured to forward into the platform. You need test inboxes created for (gasp!) testing, you say? Expect that to be a 15-20 email chain runaround between various layers of middle management to get to the grunt who does that.

We have a huge project plan, of which your engagement is but a small part. No, you can't see it. Did we mention we're due to go live on Jan 3rd and you'll only get 2 sprints to deliver? WHY AREN'T YOU COMMUNICATING WITH US!?!? BTW, we almost forgot to check with our security team on the email plan and they said we need to enable email encryption, but the platform team can't figure out how to do it. They've had a ticket in with the vendor since 11/26 with no resolution.

UAT starts 12/6, who's responsible for it? Shouldn't our consultants be writing the test scripts, sending the invites, and basically doing it for us? We'll just sit on that and complain/escalate until they hopefully cave and agree to do it in the name of furthering our relationship to sell us after-work.

—————

I am so frustrated, I almost Tweeted this as a threaded stream of consciousness. Thought better of it.

It's a good thing I like this new firm, because this client is possibly even worse than my final one at the old firm.

Comment

• Wait, that's supposed to be abnormal????
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X