• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I ended up getting FOAD'd on the second opportunity
    Wait, what? They were that aggressive?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Wait, what? They were that aggressive?
      Not at all, I just call every "We're moving forward with other candidates" email a FOAD letter. They were very pleasant to deal with and obviously had several candidates to mull over for probably one or two open roles. I doubt it was anything I said in the interviews, I think I was just beaten out by candidates whose hard skills were better aligned to their niche playbook. Who knows, maybe they circle back in a year when more roles are open.

Comment

• Working with autistic kids feels amazing, but there are times I have to take evasive action, like when a kid attempts to rip my mask off my head.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I'd have to think that growing a small firm from X to X2 is quite a feather to have in your cap for your next move, even if it does get sold to a corporate cube farm type establishment. You are starting at a much higher level with the next step if that goes through. If not, you can still fall back on your current standing with experience in what didn't work out and why.

I'd take the risk on the smaller firm with more growth potential. But I'm not a consultant nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, lol.
          Maybe I'm too old school, having worked for the same company for my entire career- but do people get jobs with the view of what the next job will be? Is the "in" think to chase jobs constantly? Seems like stability over a long run would be less stressful.

And while I see the solution was made for Fade by company 2- the one thing I would also consider is how much effort is needed to expand from 20 to 200 to 2000 people? How many 80 hour work weeks will be required?

While I'd be happy to work 100% for 40 hours all day long, with the occasional 80 hour week (maybe once a quarter at most, though), if you have to live work, I would seriously consider if it's worth it.

Work to live, or live to work?

Comment

• The older I get, the more protective I am of my time.
            probably because the older I get, the lower my ceiling gets.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Maybe I'm too old school, having worked for the same company for my entire career- but do people get jobs with the view of what the next job will be? Is the "in" think to chase jobs constantly? Seems like stability over a long run would be less stressful.
              While I have had the same government employer for my entire legal career, I'm with my 3rd different agency (4th if you count my judicial clerkships). For better or for worse, this is how the modern economy works. Employers don't give raises/promotions/etc. to current employees nearly as well or as large as external hires. So if you want to climb up the economic ladder, you have to be willing to jump ship.

It's also a consequence of at-will employment and the Harvard MBA "just need the next quarter to look good" mindset. If they can fire/lay you off with little to no notice because Wall Street needs an earnings beat, then you don't owe them any loyalty in return.

You're 100% right that stability would be better for all parties long term. But such is the current way of American capitalism. They try to pay us as little as possible, so in return they get as little work as possible.
              Last edited by unofan; 10-05-2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

While I have had the same government employer for my entire legal career, I'm with my 3rd different agency (4th if you count my judicial clerkships). For better or for worse, this is how the modern economy works. Employers don't give raises/promotions/etc. to current employees nearly as well or as large as external hires. So if you want to climb up the economic ladder, you have to be willing to jump ship.

It's also a consequence of at-will employment and the Harvard MBA "just need the next quarter to look good" mindset. If they can fire/lay you off with little to no notice because Wall Street needs an earnings beat, then you don't owe them any loyalty in return.

You're 100% right that stability would be better for all parties long term. But such is the current way of American capitalism. They try to pay us as little as possible, so in return they get as little work as possible.
                When I was a TA at Michigan teaching Statics, one of my early lines in the class was how the Harvard Business School is ruining the economy. This was '90-91.

I absolutely hate the current version of capitalism.

In terms of workers, it really puts a fine focus on the propaganda that workers are the most important. One more reason I look so foreword to next May.

Comment

• My current company is paying new hires 40-50k more and they won’t raise tenured people up. It’s horrific

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    My current company is paying new hires 40-50k more and they won’t raise tenured people up. It’s horrific
                    I suspected that was happening, but I was one of the handful that had decent golden handcuffs. Which takes care of about 1/2 of my retirement pay. So I never looked into it. Then again, as I approach retirement, the amount of work I've been asked to do has diminished quite a bit- which I honestly don't care about. If you are willing to pay me for doing as little as you ask me to do, fine with me.

I have no desire to leave any legacy other than separating work from life.

What's really sad about that- I work in the auto industry, and came in as a massive gear head/ auto enthusiast. They never really took advantage of that, and now I know the reality of working for a massive company.

Anyway, it's interesting how things have changed- I have seen multiple people come and go over the last few years. I may have lost out WRT money, but I'm happy, and we are quite secure for the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Employers don't give raises/promotions/etc. to current employees nearly as well or as large as external hires. So if you want to climb up the economic ladder, you have to be willing to jump ship.

This. I've worked in Manufacturing, and more specifically Quality, my whole career thus far. 17 years, 5 jobs.
                      The first one I had done a co-op with and stayed there for 6 years until I got laid off. I was young and getting my feet under me. The check processer industry was old and going away. I don't know how long I would have tried to ride it out, but the company didn't last much longer.
                      Then I did automotive for a year and hated it. Boring, small job scope (supplier quality). Stayed long enough to get automotive experience, because as an engineer in SE MI, every interview I kept hearing "I wish you had automotive experience"
                      Next moved to small 50 person company, was the whole quality department. Loved that job. Was there for 5 years.... 0.00% raise. Not a single one. 5 years. With inflation and bills increasing, I was pocketing less money each year. Asked boss for a raise, he did nothing. I left and got an 18% raise.
                      Turns out while I liked the money, I hated that automotive job too. A year later found the current job, got a 9% raise and am pretty happy at my current employer. In the 3 years so far, they've given out raises that at least keep up with inflation, often more. Also got myself a promotion.
                      Ask some of our production employees here and they will tell a different story. Guys with 15 years experience making the same as the temp that just got hired. We're struggling to hire enough production workers, so there's a bunch of incentives for new hires, but I don't think enough is being done to retain the current employees. We've lost several employees in the last year to other jobs.

Moral of the story, no loyalty from employees because there's no loyalty from employers.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

• If you work in engineering at GM, I could see where you can still carve out 30 years of steady career progress there. In IT (and many other sectors), you can't sit around waiting if you're hoping to advance, get paid properly, and stay relevant. Plus there's always mediocre-to-bad management, poorly-defined job responsibilities, etc. which eventually drive people to leave any organization that doesn't address those issues.

I don't consider myself a "job hopper", and in fact I think you'd find that my average of 5 years at one employer is pretty dang loyal in this space right now.
                        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-05-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

My current company is paying new hires 40-50k more and they won’t raise tenured people up. It’s horrific
                          I am lucky that they gave me all the annual raises and bonuses they did, but it took me 5 years to finally get a promotion despite good reviews almost every year. Got it this past June. However, I'm still doing the exact same work I was doing before, and they did a stupid re-org that they didn't communicate at all, which resulted in my direct report being reassigned to another manager...outside of our functional area...in Canada. They also changed my supervisor and have me reporting to a senior manager...outside of my functional area...in Canada. Still not corrected after 3 months, and cross-border leads aren't even supposed to be allowed, so ***?

They have massive growth plans, and it just feels like the whole practice is being turned into a sales factory where the SOWs get packed with whatever the customer is remotely interested in, and then renegotiated later once it becomes clear that the client wasn't mature enough for XYZ and we won't meet our deadlines.

Comment

Gee, that sounds familiar...
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Gee, that sounds familiar...
                              It's called "greening." Come the Revolution,...
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Yesterday, I had a kiddo try to grab my badge, my necklace, my shirt, and my leggings. After the shirt and leggings, I retreated to a safe observation distance.

Downside of the job. After he did that, I was drained for the rest of the session.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X