Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was my last day at my job of 15.5 years and the Onion ran this.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• If you're asking question one on the day you've quit, ya done ****ed up.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• First day of work: I like the job, I love my coworkers and the environment. They are all so young and energetic and interesting! And friendly and positive. It is the opposite of my prior job, where getting people to relax was a heavy lift.

I am extremely pleased because I had wondered whether it was just the industry that's ****ed, but it's not. It's the old white males in the industry who are ****ed.

It also doesn't hurt that my co-workers are one standard deviation more educated, and thus at least 2 more liberal. And they are also far, far more diverse.

It is basically a move from a red to a blue workplace. Smarter, funnier, kinder. And richer.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• About a month into my new job:

Everyone is kinder. Supportive. Nurturing.

Supervisor says I've made great progress in the past month and each session is running smoother than the last one.

No one calls me sir or he or him or anything masculine related.

The job is a workout in and of itself; trying to keep up with a 4 year old is fun.

And more hours will be added as I go. It is a blessed thing I left Meijer.

Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I've been fighting the urge to punch the "Everyone is stupid except for me" dude at work the past few weeks. He's taken his act to 11 as of late. Unsurprisingly he was also recently called out on cutting corners and just generally not doing the job correctly... Correlation? LOL.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Was sent a snarky and unprofessional email today and it was CCed to about a dozen people.

I emailed the person back (just him) and said I thought I did my due diligence and if I screwed up I wanted to learn from the mistake and have a path forward. But I also didn't appreciate the disrespectful tone.

If I misunderstood his tone, I had given him the opportunity to say "You misunderstood, just trying to help you out." Instead, he confirmed it by dressing me down with an even more disrespectful call. So, now I get to play damage control with my boss over a relatively minor and fixable issue.

I'm guessing my boss will tell me to tell the other guy to pound sand. The more senior engineer on the project said "Actually, these guys have been on the project longer than you or me. The question I have is where did THEY screw up?"
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                First day of work: I like the job, I love my coworkers and the environment. They are all so young and energetic and interesting! And friendly and positive. It is the opposite of my prior job, where getting people to relax was a heavy lift.

I am extremely pleased because I had wondered whether it was just the industry that's ****ed, but it's not. It's the old white males in the industry who are ****ed.

It also doesn't hurt that my co-workers are one standard deviation more educated, and thus at least 2 more liberal. And they are also far, far more diverse.

It is basically a move from a red to a blue workplace. Smarter, funnier, kinder. And richer.
                Did you transfer to Fargo?

Comment

• Kiddo had a meltdown today and I'm trying to decompress from today.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I'm likely going to have a big decision to make tomorrow. My firm has been going through some changes in the past six months that I am not crazy about, so when I was approached by recruiters for two much smaller firms than my current employer (of 500,000) earlier this month, I decided to go through the interview process with both of them. One is a rapidly growing company of 300 that started in 2015, the other was just started 2 years ago and only has about 20 employees (my first interview was actually with the CEO). Immediately following my second interview, the firm of 300 decided to bypass their standard third interview and made their offer yesterday, while I expect the firm of 20 to make their offer quickly after a successful third interview tomorrow morning.

The latter firm is currently working with a small base of clients who are focused on a niche part of the software platform I advise/consult on (ServiceNow, FWIW), but it's a relatively untapped niche with massive growth potential in the next 5-10 years. To effectively get in on the ground floor of something that could be much bigger in only a few years would be very exciting and could mean a lot for my future career-wise, but it is obviously a bigger risk if the business does not grow as expected. The other firm is on much more solid footing and has a very clear and established track record and future trajectory of growth. The senior consultant position that has been offered by the larger firm will initially be more of a lateral move rather than an opportunity to help shape and put my own stamp on an advisory practice, but that doesn't mean there won't be opportunities to lead and be promoted as they continue their growth. I got a lot of good vibes from both leadership teams, though I would say based on the CEO's career history it's very likely that the firm of 20 will eventually be sold to the highest bidder if they end up having a lot of success, but that could also happen with the other firm and much sooner.

Assuming I do end up with two offers to pick from, it's a tough call and a nice First World Problem to have.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I'm likely going to have a big decision to make tomorrow. My firm has been going through some changes in the past six months that I am not crazy about, so when I was approached by recruiters for two much smaller firms than my current employer (of 500,000) earlier this month, I decided to go through the interview process with both of them. One is a rapidly growing company of 300 that started in 2015, the other was just started 2 years ago and only has about 20 employees (my first interview was actually with the CEO). Immediately following my second interview, the firm of 300 decided to bypass their standard third interview and made their offer yesterday, while I expect the firm of 20 to make their offer quickly after a successful third interview tomorrow morning.

The latter firm is currently working with a small base of clients who are focused on a niche part of the software platform I advise/consult on (ServiceNow, FWIW), but it's a relatively untapped niche with massive growth potential in the next 5-10 years. To effectively get in on the ground floor of something that could be much bigger in only a few years would be very exciting and could mean a lot for my future career-wise, but it is obviously a bigger risk if the business does not grow as expected. The other firm is on much more solid footing and has a very clear and established track record and future trajectory of growth. The senior consultant position that has been offered by the larger firm will initially be more of a lateral move rather than an opportunity to help shape and put my own stamp on an advisory practice, but that doesn't mean there won't be opportunities to lead and be promoted as they continue their growth. I got a lot of good vibes from both leadership teams, though I would say based on the CEO's career history it's very likely that the firm of 20 will eventually be sold to the highest bidder if they end up having a lot of success, but that could also happen with the other firm and much sooner.

Assuming I do end up with two offers to pick from, it's a tough call and a nice First World Problem to have.
                      I'd have to think that growing a small firm from X to X2 is quite a feather to have in your cap for your next move, even if it does get sold to a corporate cube farm type establishment. You are starting at a much higher level with the next step if that goes through. If not, you can still fall back on your current standing with experience in what didn't work out and why.

I'd take the risk on the smaller firm with more growth potential. But I'm not a consultant nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, lol.
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Today was my last day at my job of 15.5 years and the Onion ran this.
                        Didn't take the mandated vax? ;-) :-D
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I'd have to think that growing a small firm from X to X2 is quite a feather to have in your cap for your next move, even if it does get sold to a corporate cube farm type establishment. You are starting at a much higher level with the next step if that goes through. If not, you can still fall back on your current standing with experience in what didn't work out and why.

I'd take the risk on the smaller firm with more growth potential. But I'm not a consultant nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, lol.
                          That's sort of what I think, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Did you transfer to Fargo?
                            Don't laugh.

I have an upcoming summit with top company brass where the topic is: Do we open a branch office in Fargo. (I'd be expected to open and manage it because I already live in ND.)
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Who knew that Fargo could be the next Salt Lake City? ;-)

Comment

• I ended up getting FOAD'd on the second opportunity, so I have happily accepted the first one and given notice. LFG!

Comment

Working...
                                X