Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An advantage of being an Old. When Lumbergh says "If you could work this weekend that'd be great" I reply "Let's table that discussion until Monday!" on my way out.

As god is my witness I'll never work > 40 again nor will the people under me.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      An advantage of being an Old. When Lumbergh says "If you could work this weekend that'd be great" I reply "Let's table that discussion until Monday!" on my way out.

As god is my witness I'll never work > 40 again nor will the people under me.
      I feel the same way and never ask anyone to, but some of those people may still have ambition and do it anyway. Silly kids...

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

I feel the same way and never ask anyone to, but some of those people may still have ambition and do it anyway. Silly kids...
        It's false hustle. People get burned out and you're paying them for sh-t work.

I've tried to spread this gospel everywhere I've gone. Some managers get it, some are still HURR TEH LONG HOURS EQUAL COMMITMENT DURR !!!!

If my direct needs to work overtime to accomplish her tasks then either (1) she's inefficient and I should find somebody else or (2) I suck at scoping her work and she shouldn't pay for my idiocy.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's false hustle. People get burned out and you're paying them for sh-t work.

I've tried to spread this gospel everywhere I've gone. Some managers get it, some are still HURR TEH LONG HOURS EQUAL COMMITMENT DURR !!!!

If my direct needs to work overtime to accomplish her tasks then either (1) she's inefficient and I should find somebody else or (2) I suck at scoping her work and she shouldn't pay for my idiocy.
          Meh, there are legitimate times overtime is necessary. Did something unexpected happen? Are there certain tasks that have to be done in a certain order, with an inherent rush to complete steps B,C, and D after A is completed so that E can move forward in a timely manner?

My wife and I both know that if we're in trial, we're working 12+ hour days till closings are done. It's unavoidable.

Yes, overtime should absolutely not be the norm and should be discouraged. But a blanket prohibition ignores that reality often throws curveballs at the most inopportune times.

Comment

• Emergencies, yes.

But (1) if you're having emergencies every month then somebody in senior management is doing a terrible job, and (2) that extra work is going to be shoddy and as hours extend of such vanishing value that it eventually becomes counterproductive. People have to recharge, they are not machines.

My definition of an emergency is call the CEO. If she thinks it is important enough that she will come in, then OK. If you don't have the stones to call her then why should anybody else come in? You can't just have a system where your underlings will always absorb bad management. That's no longer work, it's a death march, and only workers with no other options will continue under those circumstances.

Things are finally changing. Being battered is no longer a workplace expectation; it's assault.
            Last edited by Kepler; 09-07-2021, 12:20 PM.
            Cornell University

Comment

• Also, money...if you get paid 1.5x for first OT shift of the month and 2x for any other...:-)
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• I'll give credit to my Meijer lead: no more going over 40.

She saw us looking stressed as all hell and decided to give us a break.

That said, I still won't see a Saturday or Sunday to myself unless specifically requested.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Meh, there are legitimate times overtime is necessary. Did something unexpected happen? Are there certain tasks that have to be done in a certain order, with an inherent rush to complete steps B,C, and D after A is completed so that E can move forward in a timely manner?

My wife and I both know that if we're in trial, we're working 12+ hour days till closings are done. It's unavoidable.

Yes, overtime should absolutely not be the norm and should be discouraged. But a blanket prohibition ignores that reality often throws curveballs at the most inopportune times.
                  I tend to agree. There are legit times. I managed an emergency project once, and it met Kepler's definition to boot. The CEO received daily updates up the management chain. I had unlimited spending and resources. I ended up working 31 days straight and was given comp days and a nice bonus from the manufacturing budget (which... never happens since we're corporate). That emergency was shutting down the first plants after three days. So it happens.

the big reason I'm working these weekends is to be done and over with this anchor around my neck. This has been by far the worst project I've ever had. It's also is a very important process and downtime is a premium. The only reason we're not doing three shifts is because we're short on labor.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Also, money...if you get paid 1.5x for first OT shift of the month and 2x for any other...:-)
                    That'd help. Everybody I'm talking about is exempt.
                    Cornell University

Comment

That'd help. Everybody I'm talking about is exempt.
                      Officially I am too, but I’m union.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Also, money...if you get paid 1.5x for first OT shift of the month and 2x for any other...:-)
                        Wow, wish I had yours. Ours is 1.5x for anything past 8 hours or the sixth day of the week, 2x for seventh day.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Emergencies, yes.

But (1) if you're having emergencies every month then somebody in senior management is doing a terrible job, and (2) that extra work is going to be shoddy and as hours extend of such vanishing value that it eventually becomes counterproductive. People have to recharge, they are not machines.

My definition of an emergency is call the CEO. If she thinks it is important enough that she will come in, then OK. If you don't have the stones to call her then why should anybody else come in? You can't just have a system where your underlings will always absorb bad management. That's no longer work, it's a death march, and only workers with no other options will continue under those circumstances.

Things are finally changing. Being battered is no longer a workplace expectation; it's assault.
                          I mostly agree with this. We're paid for and expected to work 40 hours per week. I also work in an industry that is ... a bit more variable and during the pandemic, absolutely slammed. So I don't mind at all if some weeks push 50+, so long as no one hassles me for leaving early when it's slower. We have a couple of managers on the operations side that seem to think "emergency" means "any time I want something done", and we politely refuse.

Summer of 2020 we got hit with a ransomware attack and I easily worked 70-80 hours for a few weeks straight, and then left early every other day and took like a month of friday's off (without using PTO). It didn't totally balance out, but close enough. I also ended up getting the biggest raise of my entire life last month, in no small part because of the amount of work I've done since March of 2020.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Yesterday we had a storm come through the area and it took out power to our building around 4:15pm. Got sent home at 4:45pm when the power was still out (5pm is normal dismissal).

Went in today to work OT (I work a Sat-Tue schedule) only to see that power was STILL out at 6am. So instead of paying the OT rate for me to sit around with my thumb up my ***, they sent me home, ha ha....

And relating to OT: My job has it regularly. It's just the nature of the logistics business. It ebbs and flows. For me it's anything beyond your normal 8 or 10 hour shift and anything on your normal days off. If you work a holiday you will get a days worth of holiday pay on top of the OT rate that you work.

Yes, it's long hours. But it also has finally allowed me to earn a wage where I don't need to allocate every cent and I'm able to have something in reserve if things go sideways...
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Yay, my program is part of the piece of the company being sold to some company I've never heard of that is HQ in Madison....MS. Oof...

Comment

• ugh... that's not good.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X