X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    "Career Counselor" has been my favorite BS term to date for "Person who does performance evals".
    Oh there’s a blast from the past. I grew up in a consulting firm that used that term for that role

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    LOL - yes!!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    TIL our managers are now called "People Leaders."
    You misheard.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    Thanks!

The reason I'm fairly sure I'll take a pay cut is that I'm a manager now and I'm not sure I want to continue being in that role.
    OK, that's a little different. I completely changed jobs 2+ years ago, going from career documentation / database / configuration manager to requirements management. I jumped from 120 to 160 -- a 33% increase by shifting. And that was during a far sh-ttier economy.

I'm just saying don't go in thinking you will get less. My latest headhunter calls I'm telling them go look for 220 and if they find it call me. Because why not? But I am also playing with house money because I really like my current job and I love my coworkers.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    "Career Counselor" has been my favorite BS term to date for "Person who does performance evals".

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    TIL our managers are now called "People Leaders." We're instituting new performance goals - we are currently rated on a 15 point scale. Now it will be a 3-point scale. And I just had to go through video training for Outcome Focused Goal Setting.
    I never called my supervisor a "people leader" when they changed the name for me. IIRC, that was '17 or so. I thought that was an incredibly childish and insulting thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    It can be a seller's market in some fields and roles, but not like it was a couple years ago. There have been plenty of recent layoffs at companies who over-hired in 2021 and 2022.

I still get hit up for jobs regularly, but a lot of what I'm offered now are C2Cs and project-driven contract roles, and the headhunters trying to fill them are typically offshore (India). The few FTE inquires that come my way are typically from partner firms whom I suspect are struggling. They may also be worried about meeting the mothership's new partner tier qualifications coming this year, which will make becoming and remaining an "Elite" tier partner substantially harder to achieve.

My firm still has good culture and leadership, I'm very confident that we will maintain our partner status, and I've progressed in my role and pay. Based on other moves within the space, I'm inclined to stay put in 2024 and see how recent and upcoming competitor acquisitions shake out, unless a leave-for-promotion opportunity comes my way.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    TIL our managers are now called "People Leaders." We're instituting new performance goals - we are currently rated on a 15 point scale. Now it will be a 3-point scale. And I just had to go through video training for Outcome Focused Goal Setting.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Thanks!

The reason I'm fairly sure I'll take a pay cut is that I'm a manager now and I'm not sure I want to continue being in that role. I think I'd be happier back as an individual contributor. Even as a senior one with my experience and resume, that's still a different pay scale.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Resume updated, now to search.

I am facing 6+ months of worsening insanity as we had into the June 1st implementation. It's ridiculous - so many people jockeying for position, insisting (insisting) on things that aren't possible or aren't feasible. Demanding outlandish deadlines. Unreasonable complaints. No, no this isn't what I signed up for. I've been through implementations. this is stupid.

I know I'll end up taking a pay cut. And my even need to go into an office from time to time. Don't care. I need out.
    Good luck. My wife just went though something similar.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I know I'll end up taking a pay cut. And my even need to go into an office from time to time. Don't care. I need out.

Don't be too sure. It's a seller's market right now. I got into a tussle with my company about merit increases not being CPI adjusted and started looking at the average raise for people who bail and it's excellent right now. 20% of shifters netted +10% and 10% netted +20%. HR and Management professional associations are jabbering about workers actually demanding and getting pay increases despite escalation clauses in contracts.

This is a very good time to hold your employer at gunpoint. Don't miss it. They bend us over when the market conditions "demand" it, so claw it back now while you can.

Always remember: your employer is a rapist who steals your time instead of your body. Our economic system makes this legal. Indeed, it forces everyone, except for the owners, into this sordid, dehumanizing exchange. So, while we have to endure this, until we finally shed this obsolete and stupid arrangement, get everything you can, so you can exit the system as quickly and with as little damage to your dignity as possible.

"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2024, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

I am facing 6+ months of worsening insanity as we had into the June 1st implementation. It's ridiculous - so many people jockeying for position, insisting (insisting) on things that aren't possible or aren't feasible. Demanding outlandish deadlines. Unreasonable complaints. No, no this isn't what I signed up for. I've been through implementations. this is stupid.

Been there! I haven’t even started looking yet and I haven’t worked since September. My ex employer apparently told everyone now that there won’t be raises, bonuses are cut (don’t worry, record profits) and sounds like layoffs nist continue each quarter. Not my problem anymore!!

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Shop around. (Not that you need me to tell you that.)

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I'm not far from just walking away from my job without a landing spot. It's ridiculous and I'm being held accountable for things I have zero ability to impact.

I am an application manager. Those applications live on servers. The servers are refusing connection. The server teams and security teams are just pointing fingers at each other, meanwhile our overall leadership is leaning on me to fix things. Neither of the other teams involved work for me.

Integrated testing is delayed because applications aren't working, because of these connectivity issues. Which is apparently my fault.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X