X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's great!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• They're cutting out sick time at work and going to PTO

*** holes
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        They're cutting out sick time at work and going to PTO

*** holes
        Welcome to the club.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

*** holes
          Do you at least get to accumulate it?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Do you at least get to accumulate it?
            Nope. The worst part is, they're lying and saying this is because of the Minnesota sick leave law. What a bunch coward ****s.

I don't know how people who write **** like "we know you like using vacation so we're giving you more options on how to use it" live with themselves. Get hit by a bus.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

*** holes
              Is 3M some time warp lol? Sick time? What is that. I’ve literally never had a job where it wasn’t all pto

what’s next, those new fangled health plans that have super high deductible but allow you to have HSA?

Comment

Nope. The worst part is, they're lying and saying this is because of the Minnesota sick leave law. What a bunch coward ****s.

I don't know how people who write **** like "we know you like using vacation so we're giving you more options on how to use it" live with themselves. Get hit by a bus.
                They live with themselves quite cozily with bonuses and more bonuses

Comment

*** holes
                  Surprised they held out that long. I have unlimited PTO which means that I cannot accumulate and cash out on vacation. Which was the old model.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• It was one of the reasons I stuck around.
                    Code:

Comment

It is most certainly due to the new Minnesota leave law.

On January 1 Minnesota's new Sick and Safe Time leave law goes into effect. It is very broad in terms of its scope, certainly far broader than most standard sick leave policies (to the extent employers even still use them).

It is broad in terms of the incidents that trigger your right to time off. Not only is it your illness, but it's for the illnesses of an extremely broad array of related and unrelated people, including the right to annually designate some random person. So if you decide to nominate your neighbor Bob for this year, and Bob gets sick, you can take your paid sick and safe time leave.

It covers time off for illnesses, but also because of criminal justice events you might have to participate in, for road closures due to weather, etc... Certainly way broader than 3M's current sick leave policy.

You also get to carry some over.

But here's the deal with it. The law also says that if the employer has a paid time off policy in place that allows employees to be absent for all of the things that Sick and Safe time mandates, you can just use your PTO policy.

The last thing an employer wants to do is have a sick leave policy, a sick and safe time policy, a vacation policy, etc... Just roll it into one grouping and call it PTO.

We did this maybe 20 years ago, and our employees had the same initial reaction you did. If you asked them today, they'd never go back.

I don't care why my employees are going to be gone. I'm not interested in making them come up with an excuse, and they're not interested in coming up with an excuse. Just tell me you're going to be gone, and when, and tell me as soon as practicable. That's what employers want.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Surprised they held out that long. I have unlimited PTO which means that I cannot accumulate and cash out on vacation. Which was the old model.
                        Yeah Minnesota law doesn’t mandate pto oayoit like California and a few other states do. In my recent layoff I received 40 hours of pto payout due to carrying it over from prior year. My first company did pay out all my pto years ago when I quit, even though they weren’t mad dated by law

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          That's what employers want.
                          Yeah, because it saves them money at their employees' expense. If nothing else, because they no longer have to pay out unused vacation time. In the longer run, because they can claim "unlimited PTO" while discouraging is actual use, leading to people taking less time off because the employer will claim any usage is abuse

Comment

• My company switched to a PTO model when we got bought in 2020. Thankfully though we do accrue to a limit based on tenure and they will pay out unused if you leave. And you can carry over a portion from year-to-year. It actually seems to be better than what we used to have with the old company. Is actually resulting in more potential time off whether its vacation or sick time than the old company allowed. And you can accrue more days with less tenure than the old company allowed. But it sounds like we got a good deal on that based on what others are experiencing.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Yeah, because it saves them money at their employees' expense. If nothing else, because they no longer have to pay out unused vacation time. In the longer run, because they can claim "unlimited PTO" while discouraging is actual use, leading to people taking less time off because the employer will claim any usage is abuse
                              First, in Minnesota employers have never had to pay out unused vacation time, unless it's their policy or practice to do so. Having a PTO policy that doesn't require a payout doesn't change anything for employers.

Second, the new Sick and Safe time paid leave law doesn't require payout of that either upon separation. So, rolling it into a general PTO policy doesn't save the employers anything.

Third, if you are an employee, wouldn't you rather have it all rolled into PTO, that you can use for any reason, rather than having say six days of it allocated for instances only where you are sick, or a family member is sick or a family member is in court for a domestic violence issue? Even as broad as the SST law permits usage?

If someone has to go home and care for their child who is sick, it's not like 3M can deny that. Their PTO policy has to be at least as generous as the SST leave mandated by law. How does rolling into a general classification of PTO hurt dx?
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

First, in Minnesota employers have never had to pay out unused vacation time, unless it's their policy or practice to do so. Having a PTO policy that doesn't require a payout doesn't change anything for employers.

Second, the new Sick and Safe time paid leave law doesn't require payout of that either upon separation. So, rolling it into a general PTO policy doesn't save the employers anything.

Third, if you are an employee, wouldn't you rather have it all rolled into PTO, that you can use for any reason, rather than having say six days of it allocated for instances only where you are sick, or a family member is sick or a family member is in court for a domestic violence issue? Even as broad as the SST law permits usage?

If someone has to go home and care for their child who is sick, it's not like 3M can deny that. Their PTO policy has to be at least as generous as the SST leave mandated by law. How does rolling into a general classification of PTO hurt dx?

it hurts because we don't lose vacation for being sick. It's absolutely baffling how you don't understand this. I had effectively unlimited sick time prior to this. Now we have to use vacation. We don't get any additional vacation.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X