• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swansong
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Congrats!

i was in a bind yesterday over an internal manager offer I was making yesterday.

market is crazy high, so hiring someone already here is cheaper than off the street. But our salaries are so far below market averages now- do I allow the requested 20% bump for a lateral move or do the traditional 10%? Creating inequalities on the team sucks, but I’d rather this person get a bigger bump now and not leave us in a month.
    Thanks!

This is something everyone needs to work on and normalize. To me, the right thing to do is pay the person their value.

Also, I agree that internal promotions are usually cheaper than external hires. I've been saying for...ever... that it's far cheaper to just pay people what they ask for than to have them leave and try to fill the position. It's also better in every other conceivable way, but in terms of straight dollars and cents (and sense?), it's still better.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    So i have a tentative offer (waiting on HR... and waiting and waiting) for one of the newly created manager positions as my hospital's parent company reforms our IT services.
    Congrats!

i was in a bind yesterday over an internal manager offer I was making yesterday.

market is crazy high, so hiring someone already here is cheaper than off the street. But our salaries are so far below market averages now- do I allow the requested 20% bump for a lateral move or do the traditional 10%? Creating inequalities on the team sucks, but I’d rather this person get a bigger bump now and not leave us in a month.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    So i have a tentative offer (waiting on HR... and waiting and waiting) for one of the newly created manager positions as my hospital's parent company reforms our IT services.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    My boss lets us know and also gives us the on call supervisor for the time she's out.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I barely tell anyone unless it will directly affect a project.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I'm assuming this is a dig of some sort? I think it's a bit unprofessional to not make your team aware when you will be out of the office.
    Not a dig at all. Just pragmatic--and probably insensitive.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post

Do you have other things to spend your time and energy on that would be of greater benefit to you or those close to you?
    I'm assuming this is a dig of some sort? I think it's a bit unprofessional to not make your team aware when you will be out of the office.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

Work trip or vacation? If the latter, not sure why you'd be upset? Boss being gone for a week means the cat is away and the mice will play...
    No idea. It matters because we all are supposed to provide when we're going to be out. We've had three 1:1 conversations this week, you think it might have come up.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Am I wrong to be upset that I found out today (Thursday) that my manager is going to be in Florida next week? I'm on a conference call with a bunch of people and she mentioned it.
    Do you have other things to spend your time and energy on that would be of greater benefit to you or those close to you?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Am I wrong to be upset that I found out today (Thursday) that my manager is going to be in Florida next week? I'm on a conference call with a bunch of people and she mentioned it.
    Work trip or vacation? If the latter, not sure why you'd be upset? Boss being gone for a week means the cat is away and the mice will play...

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Seems like that could have been better communicated...

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Congrats!

That makes 2 of us on the same day. Last e-mail sent on Friday @ 4:58. Original plan was end of March, but I stayed 1 additional month out of the goodness of my heart. There no truth to the rumor that Friday's plunge in the stock market is in any way related to our retirement news.
    Awesome! A guy on another board retired on Friday, too.

Then again, my company also forced a bunch of people to retire Friday, as well...

Leave a comment:

• RENCEB
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    Well, it's official. I'm retired.

And I'm quite happy. Especially in the context of so many friends who also retired today, but didn't want to.
    Congrats!

That makes 2 of us on the same day. Last e-mail sent on Friday @ 4:58. Original plan was end of March, but I stayed 1 additional month out of the goodness of my heart. There no truth to the rumor that Friday's plunge in the stock market is in any way related to our retirement news.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Pretty darned nice, so far. It's been all of 2 hours, and I'm still smiling.
    Congrats!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X