Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MissThundercat
    replied
    I had a resident grab at my breasts today. I feel gross.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I just keep telling myself that I have a second round interview a week from today for a job with MUCH less responsibility (and, frustratingly, much less pay). I just hope that it works, and that an offer would come with a salary that isn't ridiculously under what I'd accept.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    There's one director who knows absolutely nothing about how our system works, but speaks with GREAT CONFIDENCE and thus is listened to by other execs.
    Sounds like he ought to be a Managing Director at my old firm. :-D

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Sometimes there's no convincing the obstinate. They'll undoubtedly get themselves into a tech debt quagmire and then they'll complain about how slow the system is, or how difficult it is to configure & upgrade it. No sh*t Sherlock, you're the arseholes who wanted these sh*tty processes and custom scripts in the platform to begin with!
    Yeah. Many times per week, our scope and timelines change. There's one director who knows absolutely nothing about how our system works, but speaks with GREAT CONFIDENCE and thus is listened to by other execs.

I can't get out of here fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Agreed. Certain people that have been put in charge are insisting that a system do things it is not capable of doing without substantial customization. There's no ROI on the oodles of time spent at all - it doesn't make anyone better - but they really want it, so on we go.
    Sometimes there's no convincing the obstinate. They'll undoubtedly get themselves into a tech debt quagmire and then they'll complain about how slow the system is, or how difficult it is to configure & upgrade it. No sh*t Sherlock, you're the arseholes who wanted these sh*tty processes and custom scripts in the platform to begin with!

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Agreed. Certain people that have been put in charge are insisting that a system do things it is not capable of doing without substantial customization. There's no ROI on the oodles of time spent at all - it doesn't make anyone better - but they really want it, so on we go.

This is destined to fail. I have my second round interview next week. It's time to go.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    "I don't want to hear it, just make it happen" needs to be removed from the lexicon of any business anywhere.
    That's the sign of a diseased management structure. There is no fixing that. It's terminal and all you can do is leave.

edit: it's basically trying to stud with a gelded horse.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-09-2024, 09:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    "I don't want to hear it, just make it happen" needs to be removed from the lexicon of any business anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Gonna have to change what I said below. I KNOW they’re dam lucky to have you.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post

Good. I'm guessing they're dam lucky to have you.
    I will work very hard to try to demonstrate it. My last two job changes have been huge leaps in what I am demanding of myself. The first paid off in that I really loved the job -- the people were amazing and I didn't feel like a workday was wasted. I couldn't help being more enthusiastic and that made me more effective.

After 30 years working alone and on technical solutions, I figured out my strength and source of energy is working with people. The more I listen the more I learn the more I can help the more people come to me for help. It is a virtuous cycle. I am going to find out if I needed the almost perfect social environment of my last job, a black swan configuration of bright people of good will with no agendas who were genuinely committed to treating work as an expedition to find truths and then work on a truthful landscape, rather than just the typical top-down command approach of dictate and perform, or whether that is dormant everywhere and only required the right leaders to make it real instead of just cynical, empty BS.

At a vulnerable point in my career, I took a chance and was rewarded with great people. Now I'm doing it again, and this time I think I can also help shape that culture.

I've usually been a great manager, an effective worker, and a terrible employee. I am contrarian and have contempt for profiteering and a hair trigger alertness to exploitation. Hopefully I can get better at all those things and show people that the right way to treat one another is also the most effective way to work together, and that transparency and shared commitment -- real commitment all the way to the top, not just as MBA argle bargle to get tired, disillusioned workers to churn out units -- is the way we should all spend the hours we are forced by present, hopefully temporary inefficiency and hegemony, to work at others' will as feudal property.

Almost as if we were working alongside other living human beings who should never be a means to anyone's end.

Last edited by Kepler; 02-09-2024, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Good luck with the new job!
    That is kind, thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Good luck Kep!

I have a second interview in two weeks. It would be next week, but current job is doing a major system upgrade this weekend and I genuinely can't get a half day off this week. I had a talk with HR and found that the pay scale is well below what I'd hoped, but certainly livable. And my goal is to regain my life, not claw extra money. So I think as long as it isn't on the low end of the scale, I may accept the pay cut.

My salary right now is really good, so I'm incredibly fortunate that I can take a substantial cut and still survive. But we'll see how the next interview goes. It'll be a panel, so the other directors I'd work with as well as some managers. We'll see.

Now I need to come up with examples of things. What processes have I changed? What "tough" conversations have I had? Fun stuff.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I have accepted a new job and am in crossover. So I have moved from job hunt tensions to new job imposture tensions. The tension headaches are similar. No doubt once I start they will become firehose tension headaches.
    Good. I'm guessing they're dam lucky to have you.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by jjuliajul11 View Post
    What is the problem of finding a job that will bring pleasure and money?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbHtzqCge_8

Leave a comment:

• wolverineTrumpet
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I have accepted a new job and am in crossover. So I have moved from job hunt tensions to new job imposture tensions. The tension headaches are similar. No doubt once I start they will become firehose tension headaches.
    Good luck with the new job!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X