X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    My work groups works together on virtually everything so knowing who is in and who is out on a given day is vital.
    That work pattern and no daily scrum, even virtual (Zoom/Teams)?

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    My work groups works together on virtually everything so knowing who is in and who is out on a given day is vital. Having one place where all our folks list time off makes that easier. The request/approval process is basically "send me an email asking, I'll approve, then go put it on the calendar". I'd love to have a workflow that does this for me (i.e. employee puts in a request, I approve, bam it's on calendar). But until that happens, we do this. To my knowledge, in 2 years of managing I've never said no to a time off request that wasn't "you're on call - either switch the pager or don't take the day".

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Correct. I was mainly grousing about having to send separate people invites for my vacation when they can look at my calendar with a click.
    Homie don't play dat. I begrudgingly enter my vacations on both my personal and departmental calendars because nobody (self included) has taken the time to make the latter a filtered agglomeration of the former, but I am not sending anybody a LMGTFY special notice of my vacation. If they can't figure it out from trying to invite me to a meeting and being stymied they are probably too stupid to survive the morning commute so problem solves itself.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    With my phone it works for the Outlook app, but not with the default Android mail app ...
    Assuming Office365 based mail, I'm not surprised.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    I had to change my work domain PW for the first time in 15 years because there was a data breach. Fucking just this 1 time and so far it is only working on one of my company issued laptops. With my phone it works for the Outlook app, but not with the default Android mail app which I find to be much more user friendly than Outlook Mobile. fffffffff

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Well then unless they talk to each other that's at least 2 places.
    Correct. I was mainly grousing about having to send separate people invites for my vacation when they can look at my calendar with a click.

All the other crap is stuff I begrudgingly comply with because it's just how it works.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

approval, which we never really need in my position, is handled through a separate application.
    Well then unless they talk to each other that's at least 2 places.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Depends on whether you need approval, and whether the calendar supports approval, but I can imagine every function required being supported in even a relatively braindead tool as long as the backend was relational.
    approval, which we never really need in my position, is handled through a separate application. - Edit: It shares its function with HR balance accruals

Edit:
    Time off financial accounting is handled through another application
    Calendaring is handled through Outlook
    God help you if you need to take STD or leave
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-27-2022, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This isn't directed at anyone here.

I don't understand why I have to list my vacation anywhere except my calendar. I have it fully open and readable by everyone in the corporation (except for items marked private). If you need to know where I am, check my calendar. I already have to put my vacation in like three separate systems, not doing 25 more so someone else doesn't have to lift a finger. I have had a few people say that they want everyone to sent a meeting notice for 7:XX AM w/ your days off. You know that Outlook has a My Group feature if you're on 365/Exchange that allows you to overlay your entire team's calendars with a single click, right?
    Depends on whether you need approval, and whether the calendar supports approval, but I can imagine every function required being supported in even a relatively braindead tool as long as the backend was relational.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    This isn't directed at anyone here.

I don't understand why I have to list my vacation anywhere except my calendar. I have it fully open and readable by everyone in the corporation (except for items marked private). If you need to know where I am, check my calendar. I already have to put my vacation in like three separate systems, not doing 25 more so someone else doesn't have to lift a finger. I have had a few people say that they want everyone to sent a meeting notice for 7:XX AM w/ your days off. You know that Outlook has a My Group feature if you're on 365/Exchange that allows you to overlay your entire team's calendars with a single click, right?

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The phrases “not my job” and “then pay me for it to my job” are infinitely better.
    Noted.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Kinda glad I'm on the lower end of the totem pole and has the phrase "above my pay grade" ready when necessary.
    The phrases “not my job” and “then pay me for it to my job” are infinitely better.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Kinda glad I'm on the lower end of the totem pole and has the phrase "above my pay grade" ready when necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    I have a Google sheet for my team (well, when I had a team) that everyone can track vacation time on. It shows each person how much PTO they have left for the year, and then each person's page feeds into the front page so I can make sure we don't have everyone off at the same time. My vacations are on there as well, so they can see it, and I try to give them a heads up too. My hourly person also had to request time off in our time clock system, but it was easy enough for me to add to the google sheet when I approved the time off requests
    Our Outlook lists all our days off, vacations, TDYs, everything, as far in advance as we know. It is the mechanism by which we inform our bosses, so there is 100% compliance. There are no exceptions -- everybody, including them, puts their data in and it is transparent to everyone.

I've been in The Biz so long I thought everywhere was like this now. The tech is ubiquitous, so failure for bosses to use it is feudal malevolence.

Leave a comment:

• wolverineTrumpet
    replied
    I have a Google sheet for my team (well, when I had a team) that everyone can track vacation time on. It shows each person how much PTO they have left for the year, and then each person's page feeds into the front page so I can make sure we don't have everyone off at the same time. My vacations are on there as well, so they can see it, and I try to give them a heads up too. My hourly person also had to request time off in our time clock system, but it was easy enough for me to add to the google sheet when I approved the time off requests

Leave a comment:

Working...
X