• Slap Shot
    replied
    If there's a better thread...

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Thanks, Obama.
    The good stuff must have been diverted to the FEMA deathcamps.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Pulled down the first aid kit at work today. The bacitracin expired during the Obama presidency.
    Thanks, Obama.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Pulled down the first aid kit at work today. The bacitracin expired during the Obama presidency.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Again, righties aren’t wanting people to get back to offices because they think people are “sneaky and lazy”, it’s to protect their real estate investments. Less people in the office means less office space is needed, and righties have a fuckton of corporate real estate investments.
    Either way the Right can DIAF.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Again, righties aren’t wanting people to get back to offices because they think people are “sneaky and lazy”, it’s to protect their real estate investments. Less people in the office means less office space is needed, and righties have a fuckton of corporate real estate investments.
    One massive "irony" in this are the companies who are saving billions NOT doing planned renovations. My company had a multi-year, multi-billion dollar plan to update our entire campus- so far, two parking structures have been done, and there have been massive delays getting it really started. Talk about good timing.

The buildings will still be there, but the company just celebrated 120 years- so it's not as if the land isn't already owned, and, for the most part, all of the investment into the actual buildings has paid off.

Our new work model is hybrid, with the emphasis on WFH. Regular "at work" meetings are not allowed- they have to have real reasons.

And I work for one of the larger companies in the country.

Someday that may shift back- but I'll be long gone before that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Apparently DHS just block-approved everyone who is working remote to continue, in perpetuity, even after the plague ends, if they want to. Their savings in overhead, commuting benefits, etc is huge.

The entire USG may follow.

It doesn't affect those of us in cleared space, but it's a huge repudiation to the cavemen who said remote would never work because "people are sneaky and lazy." No. Righties are sneaky and lazy. People work to be fulfilled.

Little by little, the petty overseers are losing their grip. White collar work serfdom is dying. Blue collar work slavery is, sadly, very much alive, and a lot of workers will vote to protect it!

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    I was talking with my manager today about the return to office. I wanted to know what she was expecting of me. She thinks it will be a slow roll over the first 5-6 months, meaning we can do what we want. If I want to just go in two days, I can. If I choose to not go in one day, I can, etc. However in the fall, depending on where we are in the world, there may be a more formal request to head back to the office. I work in Corporate Headquarters and we own our buildings in the campus but the cost to keep them open and active (lights, heat, etc.) with no one in them may mean the need to sell off space, etc. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Apparently DHS just block-approved everyone who is working remote to continue, in perpetuity, even after the plague ends, if they want to. Their savings in overhead, commuting benefits, etc is huge.

The entire USG may follow.

It doesn't affect those of us in cleared space, but it's a huge repudiation to the cavemen who said remote would never work because "people are sneaky and lazy." No. Righties are sneaky and lazy. People work to be fulfilled.

Little by little, the petty overseers are losing their grip. White collar work serfdom is dying. Blue collar work slavery is, sadly, very much alive, and a lot of workers will vote to protect it!
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-09-2022, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Which is really just “we need people back at the office to justify these huge office complexes we built”.
    Yes and no. "Nobody wants to work" started as just the latest lame Boomerism equivalent to the "welfare queens" trope of the 80s. These retiring or retired fossils think they still make the rules and that they are entitled to quick service with a smile and a thank you from someone making peanuts who can't even afford health insurance. Unfortunately, it has trickled down to younger Dumpies.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

"People just don't want to work anymore."
    Which is really just “we need people back at the office to justify these huge office complexes we built”.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    My boss yesterday sends me a text before 5 AM asking me to come in due to a call off.

​​​​​
    I left her on "read" and roll back over.

7 AM, I wake up, and I'm going about my day. 7:30, she calls and I let it go to voicemail.

It was honestly the most powerful I've felt in a while.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    -- Jefferson Davis, 1865

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Originally posted by alicestevens View Post
    I am not going back to the office anymore. Absolutely happy with my freelance job at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• alicestevens
    replied
    I am not going back to the office anymore. Absolutely happy with my freelance job at the moment.
    Looking forward for upcoming weekend and first family camping trip this year. Can't wait!We ordered so much from Camping World last week and i am so happy with the quality of all those things which arrived. Definitely i am going to write them a positive review on the website. The customer service was also very helpful in helping me choose all the right things.
    Last edited by alicestevens; 03-24-2022, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X