No announcement yet.

Antiwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for the new job, I'm hoping this becomes full time. Kids are awesome in general, the bathroom is single person with a lock, and I haven't been called sir all week.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      As for the new job, I'm hoping this becomes full time. Kids are awesome in general, the bathroom is single person with a lock, and I haven't been called sir all week.
      That sounds like a substantial improvement for you
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Yep. Congrats, Amber. It gets better.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Yep. Congrats, Amber. It gets better.
          Also, there's no bosses halting me mid production to lecture me about productivity or lack thereof.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• If I can dream,

I'd rather write, give TEDx Talks/motivational speeches, and model full time.

And I will see if I can accelerate what's left of my MSW program and finish before August 2023.

Comment

• Would love your advice on whether you think I'm being a bit ungrateful. I was given what's called a Spotlight Award as a thank you from a co-worker for the help I provided her two weeks ago in arranging things for a video shoot in the office. Which was very nice of her. The was two days long and, even though the office is technically open, there were things that needed to be arranged to get it done. Plus, I was onsite at 6:30am for load in, stayed late on the second day for load out and had to work with our Facilities and Corporate Security teams to plan everything.

Said co-worker was literally back from maternity leave for a week when this came up. While on leave, she moved to North Carolina. She did fly up for the shoot but given that she is out of state, that's another reason why I was brought in to help get this set up. Fine. I'm OK with all that. While onsite, co-worker was appreciative, said she was going to award me for helping her out. As a bit of background, we have a corporate recognition program that awards employees with points that we can accrue and then use them to "shop" in a gift catalog. I actually have more points than I can use, but that's not the, well, point. Anyway, Friday I get an email from her with a Spotlight award certificate. Normally when you get awards, you get a generated email from the program that tells you that you've been given an award, click here to see, etc. Found it a little odd that I wasn't notified that way. Opened the PDF of the certificate and saw it was just a lovely certificate with no mention of any points. Huh.

I go to the website of the recognition program to see if I'm missing something but it turns out you can present a Spotlight award and not offer any points. Which I think defeats the overall purpose of the program. I'm feeling a little annoyed that I wasn't presented an award with points, which I also know makes me seem a bit ungrateful. When you present an award with points, managers have to approve it as it comes out of a budget, which is why sometimes it takes forever for these awards to be offered. If all I was getting was a certificate, I'm thinking I should have received that a few days after the shoot, not two weeks. And I kinda want to know whose decision it was to only offer the certificate.

And before you all say anything, I get that I am overthinking it. It's just part of a pattern I feel where I get taken advantage of and I don't have the spine to push back. And really, how do I push back? I'm not the type of person who needs to get recognition but I do not like not getting recognition when everyone else does. That's happened more than once. It's frustrating at times.

OK, so that was an extremely long post to whine. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

• My LinkedIn profile was searched by KBR.

Does this mean I get to meet the Queen of England and the Lizard People?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• These kids are great and the staff is wonderful so far.

Kids > adults who complain about everything.

Comment

• Memo to my line lead:

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Comment

• I will say this:

My team lead at Meijer is growing, learning, and is a really affirming lady. She tries her best to help me and has helped through difficult stuff.

I learned she was basically shoved into the role, and is trying to adjust. So I will empower and support her growth as much as I can.

Comment

• Man, I do NOT want to go to work tomorrow. It’s been a nice five-day weekend.

Comment

• Between Meijer, this new job, and Uber Eats, I've worked 15 days in a row.

I'm wiped out and really haven't had any time for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            was just a lovely certificate with no mention of any points. Huh.

I go to the website of the recognition program to see if I'm missing something but it turns out you can present a Spotlight award and not offer any points. Which I think defeats the overall purpose of the program. I'm feeling a little annoyed that I wasn't presented an award with points, which I also know makes me seem a bit ungrateful. When you present an award with points, managers have to approve it as it comes out of a budget, which is why sometimes it takes forever for these awards to be offered. If all I was getting was a certificate, I'm thinking I should have received that a few days after the shoot, not two weeks. And I kinda want to know whose decision it was to only offer the certificate.

And before you all say anything, I get that I am overthinking it. It's just part of a pattern I feel where I get taken advantage of and I don't have the spine to push back. And really, how do I push back? I'm not the type of person who needs to get recognition but I do not like not getting recognition when everyone else does. That's happened more than once. It's frustrating at times.

OK, so that was an extremely long post to whine. Thanks for letting me vent.
                            My company has a “Shared Success” program. A former manager of mine told me that all recognitions via the program are reviewed and managers either approve for a base amount, an increased value, or for no value. The person submitting has no say on the value, is your program the same overall design?

(I’m of the opinion that my company’s base reward has $0 included and it’s rare these days for anything more than that. Lousy Harvard MBAs taking over the company in the past few years.)
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              Between Meijer, this new job, and Uber Eats, I've worked 15 days in a row.

I'm wiped out and really haven't had any time for me.
                              That's me the rest of this month. Today was my last planned day off until 10/1. I feel ya. Hopefully I can sneak in a day one of these weekends but I have doubts.

I'll be taking some comp days in October for sure.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

That's me the rest of this month. Today was my last planned day off until 10/1. I feel ya. Hopefully I can sneak in a day one of these weekends but I have doubts.

I'll be taking some comp days in October for sure.
                                Like I want to hammer punch those who say "it's finally Friday," but all I can do is scowl in disgust.

The good news is my new job says more clients are coming on and the 10-15 hours/week I initially agreed to has high potential to become full time.

Comment

Working...
                                X