X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Always be looking around for alternatives. Your employer is.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    Absolutely. I'm super happy for these people.

But I'm next, right? Right?!
    Perhaps it’s time to just keep an ear to the ground with your competitors, especially after annual review and pay raise time comes.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Absolutely. I'm super happy for these people.

But I'm next, right? Right?!

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    My company has been hemorhaging staff and management to some local competitors, so we did another market analysis and most of my employees got fairly substantial raises. It's awesome and I'm so happy for them. But... two team leads (a position under mine) now make more than me.

I hope managers are part of this analysis or I'm going to be pretty frustrated. Why should I bust my *** if people with less responsibility are making more? Could you demote me then?
    That sucks. In recent years I had option of getting similar things approved- and ensuring new hires at times were well above tenured staff.

it always sucked but one way I looked at it was “fix who you can whenever you can” because we never knew when we’d be able to. But man, it sucks for those who aren’t included right away and management can’t be shocked if there’s collateral damage

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    While it’s a good and valid question, I would just plan on taking your b-day off. We started that a long time ago, so that neither of us had expectations of the people we worked with.

its pretty freeing to have zero personal expectations from people at work. Which also frees up the expectations of you.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Still, though, why did that guy mention something about a party? It was so odd. I would imagine if there is something, it should be coming up soon, but I have no "fake" meetings or anything on my calendar. No one has asked me what days I'm in the office next week. I wouldn't be thinking about this that much if he hadn't said anything.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    So I was completely and totally wrong and they did nothing for me here at this meeting. Which, whatever.
    On the bright side, it makes retirement easier- no pressure to go back and see anyone, or no guilt even not thinking of work. Btdt.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    My company has been hemorhaging staff and management to some local competitors, so we did another market analysis and most of my employees got fairly substantial raises. It's awesome and I'm so happy for them. But... two team leads (a position under mine) now make more than me.

I hope managers are part of this analysis or I'm going to be pretty frustrated. Why should I bust my *** if people with less responsibility are making more? Could you demote me then?

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    My office building had a fire drill yesterday. The drones all have to exit the building and cross the street to the semi-large park during the event. Mpls police had stopped traffic for the test, but they didn’t clear the homeless people from the park. A ne man decided that was his queue to enter the middle of the street from the park and start doing a striptease. Then he didn’t tease. Then he was arrested and coworkers started taking pics to chronicle the event.

I worked from home yesterday. This was the most eventful thing to happen since the guy who went to the bar for lunch the day before his scheduled vacation. After he passed out in the men’s room, then went on an unscheduled permanent vacation.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    So I was completely and totally wrong and they did nothing for me here at this meeting. Which, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    So, I've always said it's really hard to surprise me because I can usually pick up on things, I'll see something not meant for me, or in the case of my 20th anniversary here at work a few years ago, my boss, who is woefully not proficient on Outlook, sent a reminder for a surprise thing for me on the meeting maker that was for the rest of my team to me by mistake. I never told her. Anyway. A year and a half ago, my manager turned 40 and the head of our team (the boss mentioned in the previous sentence), went nuts trying to plan a surprise. I was super annoyed, as when she was my direct manager when I turned 50 (a bigger milestone IMHO) she barely did anything - no let's go out for drinks, etc. Any. Way. I had no issue that she went nuts for my manager's 40th but it was over the top and I felt if you do it for one, you do it for all. I half joked, well we're all still here in a year and a half, my 60th better be a f*cking rager.

Fast forward to this week. We have an all hands department meeting tomorrow. Like, 125 people. It's always been in the back of my mind that they might do something then, or at least our team as they're flying in for it. I didn't get any - hey, after the meeting, let's all go out to dinner, etc. Nothing. I was actually thinking during the meeting they might acknowledge it. However two of my teammates have birthdays around mine and so I thought maybe they wouldn't. This morning one of the guys in my department who I've known forever comes over to my desk to ask where I was going, he heard I was leaving. I was like "Uh no, not sure where you heard that" He said someone mentioned a party for me, someone said it was my retirement party. Ha ha! I said not that I've heard but if that's the way they get rid of me, then fine. I didn't have the heart to tell him my 60th birthday is in a week and a half and that's probably what it is. So, we'll see what happens. Will keep you all posted.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    I'm driving for Uber Eats again because I'm bored and I could use extra money.

It still annoys me that some people don't tip or don't tip adequately. If I'm driving from 28th street during rush hour to either Ada or Caledonia, pay me for my time.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Was planning to work from home today, having done my two days in the office already this week. Slept in just a little longer, had a nice, leisurely breakfast. Was planning to finish the laundry after unpacking from my vacation. Grabbed my backpack to set up my desk at home...and realized I left my laptop in the office. Siiiigh. Quickly got dressed, made lunch and took the T into Boston. I've done next to nothing so far. I have stuff to do, I just have no motivation because I'm in work from home mode.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The director of my section of the company told us last week that being graded as “meets expectations” is really exceeding expectations because our standards are so high.

What do you think the unsaid portion of his statement means? Hmm…
    Money, so they say
    Is the root of all evil today
    But if you ask for a rise
    It's no surprise
    They're giving none away

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    The director of my section of the company told us last week that being graded as “meets expectations” is really exceeding expectations because our standards are so high.

What do you think the unsaid portion of his statement means? Hmm…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X