Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve sviggum sounds like a Simpson character.

oh no, my racist friends won’t send their kids to Morris because it’s too diverse! They’ll probably get robbed

https://twitter.com/watchdogumn/stat...7t1BFnpe41PUaA

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Steve sviggum sounds like a Simpson character.

oh no, my racist friends won’t send their kids to Morris because it’s too diverse! They’ll probably get robbed

I have heard a lot of things about UMN-Morris..."too diverse" is never one of them.

I find it funny though he thinks people aren't attending for that reason. Not the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere and is a tiny school with not much going on around it. Definitely is the not even 50% BIPOC population that is there.

I used to have some friends there when I was in school so would drive there every couple months...one of the worst drives this side of going to Grand Forks. I drove an Oldsmobile Delta '88 back then (1984, my Grandpa's car with like 60k miles on it!) and the wind on some of the "highways" almost blew me off the road. I can only imagine how much it sucked up there from December to say April...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I have heard a lot of things about UMN-Morris..."too diverse" is never one of them.

I find it funny though he thinks people aren't attending for that reason. Not the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere and is a tiny school with not much going on around it. Definitely is the not even 50% BIPOC population that is there.

I used to have some friends there when I was in school so would drive there every couple months...one of the worst drives this side of going to Grand Forks. I drove an Oldsmobile Delta '88 back then (1984, my Grandpa's car with like 60k miles on it!) and the wind on some of the "highways" almost blew me off the road. I can only imagine how much it sucked up there from December to say April...
        Exactly.

I mean, it's just not an attractive school relative to what's around it. UND is a fairly decent school for a handful of undergrad majors. Otherwise, UMD is a better school and not that far away. NDSU isn't that far away. Morris is just kind of a small fish in a pond of much bigger fish.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Sounds like a bit like UAF. Except Alaska continuously pumps money into UAF and then wonders why nearly every kid leaves state for college.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Having been to Morris dozens of times, including stepping foot on campus a few dozen times, he must have meant too diverse in hair color, because Morris has to be 97% white. It’s almost as relative in size to Fairbanks as Fairbanks is to Anchorage.
            That said, if you’re looking for a liberal arts degree, Morris is better than any of those aforementioned schools. The town sucks and is far away from any major population centers. And yes, the winters out there suck.

Comment

• I suppose that's a blind spot for me. I don't really know much about LA schools outside the bigger names closer to the metro. Also because I don't think I know many liberal arts grads in my professional life.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The GOP should really become the GORP. The R is what Sviggum won’t say out load.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I suppose that's a blind spot for me. I don't really know much about LA schools outside the bigger names closer to the metro. Also because I don't think I know many liberal arts grads in my professional life.
                  It's not saying much. As a college student, I would rather attend any of the aforementioned schools due to location alone. Any students leaning toward heavier scienced based degrees would be better served attending NDSU, UND, etc. But, Morris is not a bad school, considering its location. Certainly helps they're apart of the U of M system, which I think is excellent, but being a native Minnesotan, I'm biased.

Comment

A bit surprised we haven't seen some crusty old Yooper in print complaining the same about MTU.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

A bit surprised we haven't seen some crusty old Yooper in print complaining the same about MTU.
                      Too many women at mtu taking spaces from men?

Comment

Too many women at mtu taking spaces from men?
                        I was thinking too many blacks, asians, and Indians (caste not tribe). But frankly, yours would probably check for some.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

It's not saying much. As a college student, I would rather attend any of the aforementioned schools due to location alone. Any students leaning toward heavier scienced based degrees would be better served attending NDSU, UND, etc. But, Morris is not a bad school, considering its location. Certainly helps they're apart of the U of M system, which I think is excellent, but being a native Minnesotan, I'm biased.
                          One of my good friends got her undergrad there then her teaching degree at Mankato. She loved going to Morris. I am sure she was one of the few suburban kids there at the time...
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• A good explanation as to why the crab population dropped.

tl;dr Overfishing because of poor regulation dating back to the (surprise) Reagan years.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              A good explanation as to why the crab population dropped.

tl;dr Overfishing because of poor regulation dating back to the (surprise) Reagan years.
                              If I understand it right (I only stayed at a Holiday Inn so what I gathered is basic crap mostly from The Deadliest Catch captains) back in the day Snow Crab was worthless, everyone only went after King. Then King was slowing down and Snow became valuable (it was everywhere) so they fished the heck out of that. Instead of learning from their mistakes though they just copy and pasted the same crap and now both are dying off.

edit: Reading that thread answers a question I have had from watching the show all these years. It used to be that it was rare that boats went to the Russian Line. It cost a lot of money and was risky as hell. Now they all do it just to catch any Opillio. Now we know why. It is the only place juveniles can go to survive from predators.
                              Last edited by Handyman; 10-19-2022, 12:38 PM.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

If I understand it right (I only stayed at a Holiday Inn so what I gathered is basic crap mostly from The Deadliest Catch captains) back in the day Snow Crab was worthless, everyone only went after King. Then King was slowing down and Snow became valuable (it was everywhere) so they fished the heck out of that. Instead of learning from their mistakes though they just copy and pasted the same crap and now both are dying off.

edit: Reading that thread answers a question I have had from watching the show all these years. It used to be that it was rare that boats went to the Russian Line. It cost a lot of money and was risky as hell. Now they all do it just to catch any Opillio. Now we know why. It is the only place juveniles can go to survive from predators.
                                Yeah, it’s a combination of overfishing (trawling being a big factor too), climate change, and poor government management.

Fun part for Alaska: The vast majority of boats and workers don’t live in Alaska, and since Alaska has no state income taxes the State gets very little benefit.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X