The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post
    Would a nuclear war take out 90% of humans in two years? I’m struggling with the amount of loss here.
    My question is if they’re truly all dead, or just moved off the grounds. Either way changing water temps are the likely culprit, and cause for alarm.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Would a nuclear war take out 90% of humans in two years? I’m struggling with the amount of loss here.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Would a nuclear war take out 90% of humans in two years? Iâ??m struggling with the amount of loss here.
        Almost certainly. Keep in mind, with China, a single ICBM would carry enough warheads to take out a billion people. Ditto on India. Europe is 0.75. US is 0.33. That's 1/3 the way there.

Maybe the rest dodge direct shots. But food runs out in six months. Won't grow for several years. Those that survive the initial volleys fight over dwindling food supplies. They wipe each other out within a year after.

What comes after day one is ****ing bleak. Im running towards the flash.

worth noting, a small exchange between Pakistan and India would block the sun for months or years. We're all ****ed ****ed ****ed with ANY nuclear exchange.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

My question is if they’re truly all dead, or just moved off the grounds. Either way changing water temps are the likely culprit, and cause for alarm.
          When the closing leaked a few days ago water temps due to climate change was the reason suspected. I believe they also said the male numbers were better than last year but the females were way down which is a population disaster.

(I admit I could remembering)

The fleet likely knew it was coming. Many have been finding new fisheries.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

When the closing leaked a few days ago water temps due to climate change was the reason suspected. I believe they also said the male numbers were better than last year but the females were way down which is a population disaster.

(I admit I could remembering)

The fleet likely knew it was coming. Many have been finding new fisheries.
            From just the Deadliest Catch gang, a few clearly knew this sort of action was coming soon. Sig (Northwestern) has been hitting up the king grounds around Norway for a few years now. I can only imagine the people that avoided the show (the smart ones) were even more ahead of the game.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Would a nuclear war take out 90% of humans in two years? I'm struggling with the amount of loss here.
              From here:

One 2008 study looked at a Russia-US nuclear war scenario, where Russia would target 2,200 weapons on Western countries and the US would target 1,100 weapons each on China and Russia. In total, therefore, 4,400 warheads detonate, equivalent to roughly half the current inventories held each by Russia and the US.

Nuclear weapons held by other states were not used in this scenario, which has a 440-Mt explosive yield, equivalent to about 150 times all the bombs detonated in World War II. This full-scale nuclear war was estimated to cause 770 million direct deaths and generate 180 Tg of soot from burning cities and forests. In the US, about half the population would be within 5km of a ground zero, and a fifth of the country’s citizens would be killed outright.

A subsequent study, published in 2019, looked at a comparable but slightly lower 150 Tg atmospheric soot injection following an equivalent scale nuclear war. The devastation causes so much smoke that only 30-40 percent of sunlight reaches the Earth’s surface for the subsequent six months.

A massive drop in temperature follows, with the weather staying below freezing throughout the subsequent Northern Hemisphere summer. In Iowa, for example, the model shows temperatures staying below 0?C for 730 days straight. There is no growing season. This is a true nuclear winter.

Nor is it just a short blip. Temperatures still drop below freezing in summer for several years thereafter, and global precipitation falls by half by years three and four. It takes over a decade for anything like climatic normality to return to the planet.

By this time, most of Earth’s human population will be long dead. The world’s food production would crash by more than 90 percent, causing global famine that would kill billions by starvation. In most countries less than a quarter of the population survives by the end of year two in this scenario. Global fish stocks are decimated and the ozone layer collapses.

The models are eerily specific. In the 4,400 warhead/150 Tg soot nuclear war scenario, averaged over the subsequent five years, China sees a reduction in food calories of 97.2 percent, France by 97.5 percent, Russia by 99.7 percent, the UK by 99.5 percent and the US by 98.9 percent. In all these countries, virtually everyone who survived the initial blasts would subsequently starve.

Human extinction?

Even the 150 Tg soot nuclear war scenario is orders of magnitude less than the amount of smoke and other particulates put into the atmosphere by the asteroid that hit the Earth at the end of the Cretaceous, 65 million years ago, killing the dinosaurs and about two-thirds of species alive at the time.

This implies that some humans would survive, eventually to repopulate the planet, and that a species-level extinction of Homo sapiens is unlikely even after a full-scale nuclear war. But the vast majority of the human population would suffer extremely unpleasant deaths from burns, radiation and starvation, and human civilization would likely collapse entirely. Survivors would eke out a living on a devastated, barren planet.

It was this shared understanding of the consequences of nuclear Armageddon that led to the 1985 statement by then US President Ronald Reagan and Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev that “a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought.” This statement was reaffirmed by Presidents Biden and Putin as recently as January 2022. Even as war rages in Ukraine it remains as true now as it was then.

With children’s hospitals bombed and refugees shelled as they flee, emotions run high. But cool heads must ultimately prevail, so that we can collectively step back from the brink of Russia-NATO confrontation before it is too late. The price of nuclear escalation is planetary suicide, with no winners at all. That won’t save lives in Ukraine — it will simply take the death toll of the current war from the thousands to the billions.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Holy ****. ALaska has cancelled this winter's snow crab (opilio) and king crab seasons in the bering sea.

Edit: Sorry, opilio in the bering sea and king in bristol bay

Edit: Ok, so bristol is basically what we all know from Deadliest Catch
                Maine or NOAA or whoever has closed fishing grounds for years(cod, Shrimp, others) off coast of Maine, Georges banks etc, not surprised by this . The next big one here will be Lobsters .
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

From here:
                  Hey man, that's what I said. :-)

And also why I said I'm running towards the flash
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

From just the Deadliest Catch gang, a few clearly knew this sort of action was coming soon. Sig (Northwestern) has been hitting up the king grounds around Norway for a few years now. I can only imagine the people that avoided the show (the smart ones) were even more ahead of the game.
                    The Cornelia Marie has been going to Hawaii for I think 4-5 years. Jake is helping Sig in Norway and fished cod last year for half the run.

I would guess more fishing for Golden King, Blue and Bairdai for those that are stuck only fishing there.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Hey man, that's what I said. :-)

And also why I said I'm running towards the flash
                      I am extremely happy to live in the center of small circle which intersects the Pentagon, the White House, Langley, and the ODNI. I will never know.

Last edited by Kepler; 10-15-2022, 12:55 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The Cornelia Marie has been going to Hawaii for I think 4-5 years. Jake is helping Sig in Norway and fished cod last year for half the run.

I would guess more fishing for Golden King, Blue and Bairdai for those that are stuck only fishing there.
                        It’s been declining for decades. The amount of permits allowed has been cut drastically and the amount of boats going out has declined as a result. They knew this was going to happen. Heck, people in that area and the Native orgs have been raising the climate change alarm for years (they just get out voted by derps on the road system).
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          It’s been declining for decades. The amount of permits allowed has been cut drastically and the amount of boats going out has declined as a result. They knew this was going to happen. Heck, people in that area and the Native orgs have been raising the climate change alarm for years (they just get out voted by derps on the road system).
                          This was the main reason for going to the "quota" system instead of the "get what you can while the season is open" derby that was around in the 00's wasn't it? It's been a known conclusion... Just a matter of time for it to get here and become recognized by everyone...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

This was the main reason for going to the "quota" system instead of the "get what you can while the season is open" derby that was around in the 00's wasn't it? It's been a known conclusion... Just a matter of time for it to get here and become recognized by everyone...
                            Yeah, for everything else being a s-show, Alaska Department of Fish & Game does know what they're doing and has been trying to sound the alarm on this.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I am extremely happy to live in the center of small circle which intersects the Pentagon, the White House, Langley, and the ODNI. I will never know.
                              I think that's the best. In the know, without 90% of thr messiness
                              Code:

Comment

Almost certainly. Keep in mind, with China, a single ICBM would carry enough warheads to take out a billion people. Ditto on India. Europe is 0.75. US is 0.33. That's 1/3 the way there.

Maybe the rest dodge direct shots. But food runs out in six months. Won't grow for several years. Those that survive the initial volleys fight over dwindling food supplies. They wipe each other out within a year after.

What comes after day one is ****ing bleak. Im running towards the flash.

worth noting, a small exchange between Pakistan and India would block the sun for months or years. We're all ****ed ****ed ****ed with ANY nuclear exchange.
                                Take a day trip to grand forks if you want to simulate what it would be like

Comment

Working...
                                X