This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

IMO, Biden needs to find a way to make at least some progress on his agenda between now and August or they are toast.
    Just a point of order here. He managed to get the ARP and the infrastructure deal passed. Those are two gigantic accomplishments. Yes, I want more, but let's not start going on about how his presidency - less than 1 full year in - is already on the brink.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Funny, when gas was $4+/gal during Bush's second term (adjust that for inflation and it was over $5/gal in today's dollars), I don't recall Republicans blaming him.

Comment

Funny, when gas was $4+/gal during Bush's second term (adjust that for inflation and it was over $5/gal in today's dollars), I don't recall Republicans blaming him.
        Well, because team. Go team go.

2020 was exceptionally low, between the super low demand and the Russians trying to rat**** our shale industry by increasing production, it was an artifical and temporary lull. Now we're about back to where the market approximately should be.

Comment

Funny, when gas was $4+/gal during Bush's second term (adjust that for inflation and it was over $5/gal in today's dollars), I don't recall Republicans blaming him.
          I also don't recall a Republican winning in the election following that second term.

A chunk of people (big enough to make a difference in elections) vote based upon how hard their life is in the weeks and months leading up to the election. If it's hard to find or pay for housing or transportation or food for their family, or even if they perceive that it's hard, they will vote for the person or party out of power.

You can say what you want about James Carville, but he wasn't wrong.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Is it really the economy, stupid? Or is it the perception of the economy (right or wrong) pushed by whatever media one watches?

Comment

Is it really the economy, stupid? Or is it the perception of the economy (right or wrong) pushed by whatever media one watches?
              Why not both? Perception is reality for most people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Why not both? Perception is reality for most people.
                Reality and perception are equally dangerous for the party in power.
                Last edited by SJHovey; 01-13-2022, 11:26 AM.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

That won't matter. Even if he got everything he wanted in the BBB bill, you'll never see even the slightest effect by November.

Keep track of what people are paying for their gas and groceries this summer and fall. If it's the same or worse than it is now, the D's are toast. If it turns around by October and November, they have a shot.
                  Funny how when you have a quarter of your country out sick it leads to supply shortages and price increases.

I guess other people not getting vaccinated does affect you after all.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I also don't recall a Republican winning in the election following that second term.

A chunk of people (big enough to make a difference in elections) vote based upon how hard their life is in the weeks and months leading up to the election. If it's hard to find or pay for housing or transportation or food for their family, or even if they perceive that it's hard, they will vote for the person or party out of power.

Imagine how much better their lives would be if they were still getting $350/kid every month.

Thanks, Joe Manchin.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

A chunk of people (big enough to make a difference in elections) vote based upon how hard THEY PERCEIVE their life is in the weeks and months leading up to the election. If it's hard to find or pay for housing or transportation or food for their family, or even if they perceive that it's hard, they will vote for the person or party out of power.

That is the key. As long as a significant portion of the media, including the so-called "liberal media," is devoted to playing up every small issue or concern into a HUGE DISSATISFACTION AND POLITICAL THREAT in order to attract viewers, an incumbent can be unseated purely by the way stories are spun. You should know this -- it happened to Bush Senior.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• OK, Gophers. Regale us with tales of Mapleton.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          OK, Gophers. Regale us with tales of Mapleton.
                          It is close to Mankato, so Mavericks would be better at describing it. Luckily enough I actually am one! Unfortunately there isn't much to tell. Small town. I see the guy is from Coon Rapids (yes, that is the name) which is a NW suburb of MPLS. Coon Rapids still having the name it does really tells you all you need to know about it.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

It is close to Mankato, so Mavericks would be better at describing it. Luckily enough I actually am one! Unfortunately there isn't much to tell. Small town. I see the guy is from Coon Rapids (yes, that is the name) which is a NW suburb of MPLS. Coon Rapids still having the name it does really tells you all you need to know about it.
                            I believe CR has come up here several times before. A little corner of the South in the tundra.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I believe CR has come up here several times before. A little corner of the South in the tundra.
                              It is actually pretty diverse for the county it is in, and more than likely leans blue because of it. But there are the usual olds running the show. Oh man, the xenophobic tirade my grandmother went on when they opened the 610 bridge that joined CR to Brooklyn Park (which she called something else) and Hennepin County. Woof.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• The OH Supreme Court issued opinions on the redistricting map. Pretty harsh rebuke of the GOP by the Republican justices.

There are a lot of really... interesting... notes in it. Like these:

The dissenting justices assert that they are unable to evaluate the simulated maps because they
                                were not part of the record. However, Dr. Imai and Dr. Chen submitted expert affidavits extensively
                                describing their methodology, data sources, and conclusions based on the 6,000 simulated plans
                                reviewed, and they also submitted as exhibits examples and data referenced in the affidavits. We
                                find that this evidence in the record sufficiently supports the conclusions cited herein.
                                This was particularly bizarre:
                                The dissent has chosen to use the unprecedented format of a "joint dissent." This authorship
                                label has never been used by this court. Its use now, without explanation by the dissent, is unusual
                                and inexplicable.
                                The dissent responded with:
                                The majority says the joint authorship of a dissent is "unusual and inexplicable." Majority
                                opinion at 70, fn. 9. It's not. See, e.g., Natl. Fedn. of Indep. Business v. Dept. of Labor,
                                Occupational Safety & Health Administration, __ U.S. __, __ S.Ct. __, __ L.Ed.2d __, Nos. 21A244
                                and 21A247, Slip Opinion, 2022 WL 120952, *8 (Jan. 13, 2022) (joint dissent of Breyer, Sotomayor,
                                and Kagan, JJ.).
                                So, the majority said "Ohio SC has never issued a joint dissent." The dissent replies with "UH DID YOU SEE THE SCOTUS DID THIS YESTERDAY?!"
                                HUH?

The whole thing reads like a screamfest.

Edit: And holy hell. One of the dissenting justices is the son of the governor (one of the named defendants). Unreal.
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X