This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I don’t disagree, but she is my elected rep and I’d say crime is an issue her constituents care about right now. Notice I didn’t say I expected anything to come from her.

At this point I don’t care who as long as someone does something.
    My rep too ;^)

(I agree with you)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I've seen mayors lose races because a bad winter caused excessive potholes.
      I've seen presidents lose races because the economy crashed at the wrong time.

Doesn't matter if it's in their control. When you're one of the faces of an anti-police movement in the middle of a crime wave, you gotta try to do something to address that or you're going down.
      Not in her district.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Not in her district.
        Quality Gerrymandering?
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

When you're one of the faces of an anti-police movement
          Anti-police brutality is not anti-police.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The increase in armed carjacking and other violent robberies is occurring in many metropolises. There are a a lot of guesses as to what it causing it, from COVID restrictions (school closures, mask anonymity, etc..), police department shortages, even anti-theft measures on cars nowadays. I bet in places it is spiking especially hard, like Minneapolis, it is a bit of a perfect storm situation where all factors have converged and the thieves are now completely aware of it. Getting past the pandemic would go a long way in easing a lot of this, so we better come up with another plan as that just isn't happening.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

Quality Gerrymandering?
              More that the sections of Minneapolis she represents is rough to offset what she might lose in the suburbs. It would be tough for a GOPer to win. Hell it would be tough for a Centrist to win. Very liberal areas and the whole district is quite diverse. The White Liberals in Edina are vastly offset by the Somalis in Minneapolis.

Honestly she would be tough to primary.

Slap Shot,

While I agree something has to be done your post is kind of bizarre. A speech by her does zilch. It is lame *** theater since she doesn't have any power over the situation. Frey needs to speak on the issue. Walz needs to speak on the issue. The police need to speak on the issue. (Especially about why there are so few of them) Omar doing it is nothing but grandstanding.
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                The increase in armed carjacking and other violent robberies is occurring in many metropolises. There are a a lot of guesses as to what it causing it, from COVID restrictions (school closures, mask anonymity, etc..), police department shortages, even anti-theft measures on cars nowadays. I bet in places it is spiking especially hard, like Minneapolis, it is a bit of a perfect storm situation where all factors have converged and the thieves are now completely aware of it. Getting past the pandemic would go a long way in easing a lot of this, so we better come up with another plan as that just isn't happening.
                Not to mention it may not be increasing. It may simply be concentrated on now, either coincidentally to get ARE YOU GOING TO DIE!?!? eyeballs to drive ratings, or deliberately because state coercion is the primary method the owners keep the rest of us in our place, and they need to manufacture approval for violent policing again.

Though I would not be surprised if crime rates have actually been rising, as inequality destroys legal paths to subsistence and leaves only what Merton called "the rational choice" of crime.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Not to mention it may not be increasing. It may simply be concentrated on now, either coincidentally to get ARE YOU GOING TO DIE!?!? eyeballs to drive ratings, or deliberately because state coercion is the primary method the owners keep the rest of us in our place, and they need to manufacture approval for violent policing again.

Though I would not be surprised if crime rates have actually been rising, as inequality destroys legal paths to subsistence and leaves only what Merton called "the rational choice" of crime.
                  I think there were about 130 carjackings in Minneapolis in 2019, 401 in 2020, and 524 by the middle of November here in 2021, so they appear to be going up.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I think there were about 130 carjackings in Minneapolis in 2019, 401 in 2020, and 524 by the middle of November here in 2021, so they appear to be going up.
                    Like I said, I can also well imagine crime in general going up as we descend into a laissez-faire economic hellscape.

Either way the solution is to cobble together the B ark, load up all the conservatives, and set the controls for the heart of the sun.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Anti-police brutality is not anti-police.
                      And that's clearly a distinction that is marketing gold right now, just as much as "defund the police."

Do you progressives not have the money to hire salespeople to properly sell your ideas, or is it just you can't stomach using then because they're too capitalist for you?

Comment

And that's clearly a distinction that is marketing gold right now, just as much as "defund the police."

Do you progressives not have the money to hire salespeople to properly sell your ideas, or is it just you can't stomach using then because they're too capitalist for you?
                        I have no idea why the Left is so terrible at this, but I think it is equal parts:

+ Studied arts and science, not business or law
                        + High-minded anti-commercial claptrap
                        + Have you seen our leadership? It is sclerotic and dominated by Tracy Flicks who think scolding is an effective persuasion technique.
                        + Too caught up staring at our particular navel issue to see the big picture
                        + None of us know any average people because Jesus **** boring

Believe me, no one is more frustrated about it than I. If I had my way we would hire Madison Avenue to curate our image and dust the derps with whatever somnolent chemtrail works. Don't try to teach the pigs to sing; just win baby.
                        Cornell University

Comment

What’s interesting to me is that the media isn’t really covering a lot of these, either. On one hand you’d think they’d want the headlines- but they’re really only talking about the ones that happened in Edina. Or the night there were like 6 jackings in one hour. The home invasion with guns from Xmas weekend hasn’t made news yet

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Slap Shot,

While I agree something has to be done your post is kind of bizarre. A speech by her does zilch. It is lame *** theater since she doesn't have any power over the situation. Frey needs to speak on the issue. Walz needs to speak on the issue. The police need to speak on the issue. (Especially about why there are so few of them) Omar doing it is nothing but grandstanding.
                            It's not bizarre it's common sense. She can call out those (if not specifically by name generically at least) that can make a difference to get their **** in order. Anyone of even her magnitude drawing attention to the problem is a good thing. This needs to be talked about I don't care who gets the headlines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

What’s interesting to me is that the media isn’t really covering a lot of these, either. On one hand you’d think they’d want the headlines- but they’re really only talking about the ones that happened in Edina. Or the night there were like 6 jackings in one hour. The home invasion with guns from Xmas weekend hasn’t made news yet
                              In my opinion, if you are working in the media right now, especially what we refer to as mainstream media, you have a tough job. About the only certainty is that someone will be publicly attacking you and questioning your motives. If you report those stories, you're accused of sensationalizing events to attract clicks, or harboring a hidden agenda in the police reform debate. If you don't cover them enough (whatever that is), you're accused of ignoring important community developments, or of harboring a hidden agenda in the police reform debate.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

About the only certainty is that someone will be publicly attacking you and questioning your motives. If you report those stories, you're accused of sensationalizing events to attract clicks, or harboring a hidden agenda in the police reform debate.
                                And the network gives you a bonus for the rubbernecking that follows.

It's entertainment, not information. All news media is TMZ now. Get eye balls! Never mind how.

Newscasters can only dream of being attacked.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X