This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    That isnt how it works. You vote no and leave blank. That is literally what the Dems are telling people to do.

If you write in a name you risk someone else getting elected.
    Explain this to me as if I were a conservative. Why?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Explain this to me as if I were a conservative. Why?
      Because California is ****ing stupid. That isn't some flyover comment either the whole process is moronic.

The ultimate goal is to have "No" over 50% that ends everything. (voting no to a recall)

If "Yes" is over 50% then Newsome is out and it goes to one of the 46 people running. Whoever has the highest of those 46 wins. Doesn't matter the percentage. That means you could have say, Larry Elder with 30% winning even though he is a vast minority compared to Newsome. Theoretically someone with 10% could win as long as they were higher than anyone else. It makes no ****ing sense at all.

If the Dems ran anyone it would be suicide because you would likely get Newsome recalled and get smoked by any number of ****ed up Trumpers running. If Newsome is recalled Cali is red until next year. (pray Feinstein lives) Elder is the odds on fave and the rest are just as nutso.

tl;dr: Vote no to save California

note: I dont live there though I have relatives who do. I follow a lot of people out in Cali though on Twitter and I get inundated with "Vote No Leave Blank" because anything else likely leads to Cali becoming COVID Flo(R)ida part Deux. Mask mandates gone. Vaccine pushes dead.
      Last edited by Handyman; 08-28-2021, 07:00 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If I read right you can answer Question 2 without answering Question 1 OR answering no to the Recall. That is why the Libs are saying to just say no and ignore 2.
        I mean, it would never occur to me to only answer #2 and not #1 but hey who knows. I'm curious about the mindset of someone who would do so.

I personally hate leaving #2 blank. To me the Dems should have agreed on a "just in case" #2 answer. If people felt that strongly about having Newsom out, even in the party, then given the party's strength it feels the Dem would get enough on #2. I know there is supposed to be the storyline that the Dem turnout will be low because there won't be interest, but I'm interested to see how that pans out. Is there an enthusiasm gap? Yes, no one on the Dem side is happy we have to go through this crap. Are we still going to vote rather than sit out in anger? Of ****ing course.

I personally went for Paffrath on #2 if for no other reason than he is a Dem and seemed to be gaining some momentum, so he could be the person everyone unofficially coalesces around for #2 just in case. With the GOP split between three major candidates hopefully that is enough, just in case.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• The Dems aren’t “running” anyone, nor are they even endorsing and of the other candidates, and that is right - if they endorsed anyone, that would certainly weaken the commitment to Newsome and No.

But if you’re a sentient voter in California, there’s no way in hell you should vote No/Blank. Not all non-Newsomes are created equal, and you would be a fool to throw away your opportunity to swing the choice to the least of those evils.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            if they endorsed anyone, that would certainly weaken the commitment to Newsome and No.
            I don't see this at all. You back Newsome because the recall is stupidity slash obvious anti-democratic intimidation but if the derps accomplish it then you at least save the seat and don't give it to the Gestapo.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I don't see this at all. You back Newsome because the recall is stupidity slash obvious anti-democratic intimidation but if the derps accomplish it then you at least save the seat and don't give it to the Gestapo.
              I just think it’s dangerous - if they do that and there are Dems out there who would prefer the Dem’s #2 over Newsome, some may be more likely to give in to temptation and vote Yes to try to get their guy (Dems are not immune to stupidity). Better to remove that temptation by not having a designated #2.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• I can see the case on both sides of the argument. Unfortunately we have too small of a sample set to know which way people actually go here. Hopefully it's all moot.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Logically Kep is right but in the real world the risk is just too high.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Texas on verge of passing their horrific voter suppression bill

And, as Marc Elias just tweeted, Texas is on the verge of being sued for said bill.

get the bigots, Marc.

Comment

Because California is ****ing stupid. That isn't some flyover comment either the whole process is moronic.

The ultimate goal is to have "No" over 50% that ends everything. (voting no to a recall)

If "Yes" is over 50% then Newsome is out and it goes to one of the 46 people running. Whoever has the highest of those 46 wins. Doesn't matter the percentage. That means you could have say, Larry Elder with 30% winning even though he is a vast minority compared to Newsome. Theoretically someone with 10% could win as long as they were higher than anyone else. It makes no ****ing sense at all.

If the Dems ran anyone it would be suicide because you would likely get Newsome recalled and get smoked by any number of ****ed up Trumpers running. If Newsome is recalled Cali is red until next year. (pray Feinstein lives) Elder is the odds on fave and the rest are just as nutso.

tl;dr: Vote no to save California

note: I dont live there though I have relatives who do. I follow a lot of people out in Cali though on Twitter and I get inundated with "Vote No Leave Blank" because anything else likely leads to Cali becoming COVID Flo(R)ida part Deux. Mask mandates gone. Vaccine pushes dead.
                      The official party position has to be "vote no" and then take no position on a replacement, because there won't be one. For them to do anything else, as others have said, is to risk encouraging a "yes" vote on Newsome's ouster.

The LA Times had an interesting story on the history of California's recall election process, which has been around for more than a hundred years. There have been 179 petitions over the history of the law, but only 11 made it this far, to a vote. However, once it has made it to a vote, 6 of 10 have resulted in the ouster of the official (an admittedly small sample size). With respect to the governor's office only, it looks like this is just the second time it has reached a vote in 55 tries, with Davis' recall about 20 years ago the only other time there was actually a vote to remove the governor.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Texas on verge of passing their horrific voter suppression bill

And, as Marc Elias just tweeted, Texas is on the verge of being sued for said bill.

get the bigots, Marc.
                        As opposed to the Fugitive Slave Law for abortion.

As somebody said last week, history will view Texas during this period in the same way as we view the Confederacy and Orville Faubus: the death throes of a frantic, pathetic fascism.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Yeah and the GOP ran Ahnold knowing he would crush compared to like 100 people who ran.

The idea of the Cali recall rules was to make it easier to recall as a check on power. Problem is low thresholds mean that there is an easier path if done at the right time. By any estimation this is the wrong time to be doing this even if in a year the Dems will take back the state. Even without COVID Cali has a myriad of issues it is dealing with and a massive shift in administration will throw everything into flux.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...66542683279362

PA GOP Gov candidate Steve Lynch today: “Forget going into these school boards with freaking data. You go in to these school boards to remove them. I’m going in with 20 strong men and I’m gonna give them an option - they can leave or they can be removed.”
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Is there another state that goes all-out on the “State Fair” like MN does? I have a feeling the other states kind of probably let the tradition fall away back around the Great Depression era, but in MN it only gets bigger. Kansas? Alabama? Anyone?
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                Is there another state that goes all-out on the “State Fair” like MN does? I have a feeling the other states kind of probably let the tradition fall away back around the Great Depression era, but in MN it only gets bigger. Kansas? Alabama? Anyone?
                                Texas, I think...but, I haven't been to one yet...
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X