This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The road and utilities infrastructure in MN isn't designed to handle long stints of >100F days. If this were summer and that kind of heat blast hit us, we'd be in the same boat, only boiling rather than freezing. You build for your climate.
    And that is exactly why money should be spent upgrading infrastructure because weather is going to become more reliably unstable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

And that is exactly why money should be spent upgrading infrastructure because weather is going to become more reliably unstable.
      Yes, it should. But it won't be spent that way, and we all know it. Not until we have had a series of years with those types of failures.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        I want to believe that is true so much I can taste it...but it just seems way to perfect!
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The road and utilities infrastructure in MN isn't designed to handle long stints of >100F days. If this were summer and that kind of heat blast hit us, we'd be in the same boat, only boiling rather than freezing. You build for your climate.
          Except the winterizing of the wind equipment wasnt some huge cost and is often something that is recommended even in climates where it isnt as harsh. (I think I read that) They did this cheap because they don't care if it fails.

The best part of all this whining about the turbines by the morons is that the turbines got defrosted in many places and are back online. It is the non-renewables that are still down.

Is it too late for Texas to secede? ;^)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Except the winterizing of the wind equipment wasnt some huge cost and is often something that is recommended even in climates where it isnt as harsh. (I think I read that) They did this cheap because they don't care if it fails.

The best part of all this whining about the turbines by the morons is that the turbines got defrosted in many places and are back online. It is the renewables that are still down.

Is it too late for Texas to secede? ;^)
            But what about storage????

he must be close to that Manila envelope by now

Comment

But what about storage????

he must be close to that Manila envelope by now
              If said security expert was here I can only imagine the misinformation he would be giving us about why the turbines were a bad idea...
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The more I read about Texas’ power system, the less shocked I am that everything is failing. Much like their “Independent School District” system, it’s the f-ing worst. Just a Republican fever dream of multiple companies competing against each other in a race to the bottom managed by a state regulator with little regulation. No wonder everything went to s- so quickly.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

We've known for over 3 decades now that the climate is changing. So, what part of that memo didn't we get?
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yes and no. Texas is a unique beast because they 1) are their own transmission grid with very few seems connecting it to the other major grids (they have 2 to Mexico and 2 to the Eastern US), and 2) have almost non-existent utility regulation. They treat electric utilities like auto insurance down there.

If Minnesota had a prolonged heatwave, they still wouldn't be as bad off because 1) they're part of the eastern U.S. grid, so other states' power can pick up some of the slack, and 2) they're more highly regulated so the utilities are required to be capable of handling peak usage days in the summer.

Meanwhile, Texas' power comes primarily from wind and natural gas. Well, they didn't pay to winterize their wind turbines unlike Iowa (where we get 50% of our power from wind and where, except for the sliver of the state in SPP rather than MISO, there have been no blackouts despite ridiculously cold temps for the last 2 weeks) , and while natural gas is dirt cheap in the summer, in the winter people in northern states use it to heat their homes, which strains supplies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      The more I read about Texas’ power system, the less shocked I am that everything is failing. Much like their “Independent School District” system, it’s the f-ing worst. Just a Republican fever dream of multiple companies competing against each other in a race to the bottom managed by a state regulator with little regulation. No wonder everything went to s- so quickly.
                      And yet it won’t teach them anything, and the morons they keep electing will now double down blaming renewables and go even harder to block it.

my colleagues down there are not only trying to survive right now but keenly aware that the pipe damages could be thousands per home .

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

We've known for over 3 decades now that the climate is changing. So, what part of that memo didn't we get?
                        The part where it's actually happening is being complete denied by half the population. They'll be the ostriches drowning with their heads in holes as the oceans continue to rise because they still won't admit to it. We need to base our society's infrastructure on science, but you have so many people thinking that real information and education are an affront to their imaginary gods. How do you get beyond that?
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

C'mon silly! It's only climate change when it gets warmer! Only downside is changing where the beach parties are! This is colder so it is something different. No way to have expected this might happen. No warnings whatsoever.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Yes and no. Texas is a unique beast because they 1) are their own transmission grid with very few seems connecting it to the other major grids (they have 2 to Mexico and 2 to the Eastern US), and 2) have almost non-existent utility regulation. They treat electric utilities like auto insurance down there.

If Minnesota had a prolonged heatwave, they still wouldn't be as bad off because 1) they're part of the eastern U.S. grid, so other states' power can pick up some of the slack, and 2) they're more highly regulated so the utilities are required to be capable of handling peak usage days in the summer.

Meanwhile, Texas' power comes primarily from wind and natural gas. Well, they didn't pay to winterize their wind turbines unlike Iowa (where we get 50% of our power from wind and where, except for the sliver of the state in SPP rather than MISO, there have been no blackouts despite ridiculously cold temps for the last 2 weeks) , and while natural gas is dirt cheap in the summer, in the winter people in northern states use it to heat their homes, which strains supplies.
                            It just boggles my mind how bad Texas’ power system is. During this whole mess plenty of companies shut down intentionally because the natural gas prices got so high until ERCOT said they could pass that cost onto their customers.

It’s a free market system and it’s working as intended.
                            https://mobile.twitter.com/davidlnol...75319054077952
                            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

And yet it won’t teach them anything, and the morons they keep electing will now double down blaming renewables and go even harder to block it.

my colleagues down there are not only trying to survive right now but keenly aware that the pipe damages could be thousands per home .
                              The pols in Texas are keenly aware that nothing can be done until temps warm up this weekend and people will die before then and they’re desperately dancing around that hoping people won’t figure that out.

In the end it’ll be mostly poor people dying so it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• What a ****ing clown show.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X