This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC says eat ****, disabled people!

“BREAKING: The Supreme Court has reinstated a ban on curbside voting in Alabama, reversing a court-ordered accommodation designed to protect disabled voters from exposure to the coronavirus.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, whose dissent was joined by Justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan, said that as a result of the ruling, "if those vulnerable voters wish to vote in person, they must wait inside, for as long as it takes, in a crowd of fellow voters whom Alabama does not require to wear face coverings."

Comment

• https://mobile.twitter.com/jewishact...09442724810757

I. Love. This. Ad!
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Fanfreakingtastic. Love is a strong word and if there was a stronger word I would use it. I love it.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Brilliant ad.

Are these actually being seen anywhere, though? Or are they just circulating among us internet ad aficionados? Is this like the Clios where Madison Ave dou-ches slap each other on the back and nobody else in the country knows about, cares about, or remembers their stuff?

It does no good if it doesn't go before the eyes of the Great Unwashed 24/7 to pound in the message that these lazy cheeseballs have to get off the couch and vote!
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Oh I am sure that is playing in Matt's district...only problem is his district is as screwed up as he is.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• New form of intimidation: if Biden wins im raising your rent

https://www.9news.com/amp/article/ne...mpression=true
              Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 10-22-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                New form of intimidation: if Biden wins im raising your rent

https://www.9news.com/amp/article/ne...mpression=true
                At a minimum, I'm pretty sure this would be a violation of consumer protection laws in many states. He can raise their rent, but he has to provide more definite advance notice. Doubling it with no explanation other than "Dems were elected, taxes are going up" should attract an investigation for price gouging and/or housing discrimination in some jurisdictions.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

At a minimum, I'm pretty sure this would be a violation of consumer protection laws in many states. He can raise their rent, but he has to provide more definite advance notice. Doubling it with no explanation other than "Dems were elected, taxes are going up" should attract an investigation for price gouging and/or housing discrimination in some jurisdictions.
                  He better hope that is all he gets. There is a definite case for tampering here...and my guess is that the AG and others are going to take a nice deep dive into the life and times of said landlord. He best hope he doesnt have any skeletons in his closet. (which he most certainly does) And we know the local media will be chomping at the bit to find out dirt as well.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

He better hope that is all he gets. There is a definite case for tampering here...and my guess is that the AG and others are going to take a nice deep dive into the life and times of said landlord. He best hope he doesnt have any skeletons in his closet. (which he most certainly does) And we know the local media will be chomping at the bit to find out dirt as well.
                    Yup. It's CO, they have laws protecting tenants. If it was the South he could demand droit du seigneur.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Yup. It's CO, they have laws protecting tenants. If it was the South he could demand droit du seigneur.
                      Maybe.

I don't think the Fair Housing Act makes political activity a protected class. Most tenant protections involve retaliation for complaining about the conditions of the property. I'd be curious if there was some sort of retaliation restriction for engaging in political activities or other things like social media posts, etc...

Finally, this is a trailer park, which is a very unique beast. Trailer parks are literally the wild, wild west of landlord/tenant law. In many instances the trailer itself is owned by the occupant, but the space in the park, along with utilities and things like that, is leased. I don't think they are necessarily covered under standard landlord/tenant laws.

But who knows in Colorado. I think FightingSioux23 is a Colorado attorney so he might know, but I think he's too smart to venture into Cafe much.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        Finally, this is a trailer park, which is a very unique beast. Trailer parks are literally the wild, wild west of landlord/tenant law. In many instances the trailer itself is owned by the occupant, but the space in the park, along with utilities and things like that, is leased. I don't think they are necessarily covered under standard landlord/tenant laws.
                        That's interesting. So basically it's not a leased domicile, it's just a parking space for your (probably immobile) mobile home?

On the face of it that seems absurd and disgusting but I'm equally sure whatever scum-bags run the trailer park industry have a better lobby than the poor slob tenants. All of whom probably vote R, anyway, so I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

This is from OR but the basic principles seem to be taken for granted: a mobile home owner is a tenant an a trailer park is a landlord, not just a service provider. Eviction laws, in any case, seem to imply tenancy -- your phone company doesn't "evict" you when it terminates service.

On the other hand, this was legal in CO. And as you noted:

The federal Fair Housing Act forbids discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, and disability. It's also illegal to discriminate against renters based on whether they're married or have children.

Only one state, California, bans discrimination based on political beliefs as part of a broader ban on "arbitrary discrimination." Landlords in California can't choose renters or suggest that certain types of people shouldn't apply, based on any characteristic that isn't directly related to their ability to be a good tenant.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 10-22-2020, 03:56 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That's interesting. So basically it's not a leased domicile, it's just a parking space for your (probably immobile) mobile home?

On the face of it that seems absurd and disgusting but I'm equally sure whatever scum-bags run the trailer park industry have a better lobby than the poor slob tenants. All of whom probably vote R, anyway, so I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

This is from OR but the basic principles seem to be taken for granted: a mobile home owner is a tenant an a trailer park is a landlord, not just a service provider. Eviction laws, in any case, seem to imply tenancy -- your phone company doesn't "evict" you when it terminates service.

On the other hand, this was legal in CO. And as you noted:
                          You want to hear something really strange? Here in Minnesota we handle the sale of mobile homes through the DMV! That's right. We don't just torture you with the DMV when dealing with your car. If you're unfortunate enough to live in a mobile home in this state, we make you deal with the DMV again. You get a title, just like a car title.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You want to hear something really strange? Here in Minnesota we handle the sale of mobile homes through the DMV! That's right. We don't just torture you with the DMV when dealing with your car. If you're unfortunate enough to live in a mobile home in this state, we make you deal with the DMV again. You get a title, just like a car title.
                            That makes perfect sense to me. I guess I always assumed everybody did that. A mobile home is just an RV for poor people.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Yeah that makes sense to me too...
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• "Gonna buy me a trailer. And move it up to Grandview"
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X