Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Pretty easy to sit in the comfort of one's home, pretending to teach kids online, collecting a full paycheck, and tell people who are about to lose everything they've worked for, all of their retirement, their only source of income, and in some instances maybe even their home, to "suck it up."
    Why they tell everyone else to "suck it up" whats the matter they cant handle the truth? You like to tout the greatness of the SBA program...did this guy apply for those loans? They were put in place for the likes of him. Saved my buddy's small restaurant. Did the guy get unemployment? Honest questions cause at least then he wouldnt look like an *******, he would just look desperate. If he didnt, then he can bite me. If he can tell me he tried every possible means to keep afloat I still wont agree with him but at least I would be sympathetic.

But again...what he worked for does not trump what is best for everyone else. You know how you like to tell us "People Die" well guess what...BUSINESSES FAIL! If you are asking me what is more important...lives trump his restaurant. Maybe if I believed he was going to do things the right way I would err closer to your side (I have zero issue with the restrictions being lifted when they are and even said they would have to be or half the state would go under this summer so it isnt like I am against trying to protect many of the small restaurants and communities despite your beliefs) but since he has shown he doesnt really give two craps about the rules why should I believe he will protect his workers or his customers? Nah he just wants to do things his way (he is taking his rights back dontcha know...even quoted as such) and screw the people who tell him he cant! I highly doubt 2 weeks was the difference between survival and outright bankruptcy and if it was I am sure he could have figured out a way. He just wants to show that the Governor cant control him.

As for your second rate childish jab at me and my job...good one? If you were trying to be cute it failed. If you were trying to be funny it REALLY failed. If you were trying to make yourself look like a ***** though I would definitely give you an A+
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Why they tell everyone else to "suck it up" whats the matter they cant handle the truth? You like to tout the greatness of the SBA program...did this guy apply for those loans? They were put in place for the likes of him. Saved my buddy's small restaurant. Did the guy get unemployment? Honest questions cause at least then he wouldnt look like an *******, he would just look desperate. If he didnt, then he can bite me. If he can tell me he tried every possible means to keep afloat I still wont agree with him but at least I would be sympathetic.

But again...what he worked for does not trump what is best for everyone else. You know how you like to tell us "People Die" well guess what...BUSINESSES FAIL! If you are asking me what is more important...lives trump his restaurant. Maybe if I believed he was going to do things the right way I would err closer to your side (I have zero issue with the restrictions being lifted when they are and even said they would have to be or half the state would go under this summer so it isnt like I am against trying to protect many of the small restaurants and communities despite your beliefs) but since he has shown he doesnt really give two craps about the rules why should I believe he will protect his workers or his customers? Nah he just wants to do things his way (he is taking his rights back dontcha know...even quoted as such) and screw the people who tell him he cant! I highly doubt 2 weeks was the difference between survival and outright bankruptcy and if it was I am sure he could have figured out a way. He just wants to show that the Governor cant control him.

As for your second rate childish jab at me and my job...good one? If you were trying to be cute it failed. If you were trying to be funny it REALLY failed. If you were trying to make yourself look like a ***** though I would definitely give you an A+
      Don't know if he applied for the PPP. I've heard that the PPP isn't ideal for bars and restaurants because they have been specifically ordered to close, and most of them won't open in time due to the short spending period for PPP.

If he's self employed, I'm not certain he'll be eligible for unemployment.

I guess I don't see why you assume he will automatically ignore social distancing requirements. I don't think it's fair to say that just because he wants to open the bar, he'll automatically violate every other rule or law to which he may be subject. I don't think any of these places are trying to kill their customers, because after all, they are their customers. Not a great business plan.

Most of these places operate on a pretty thin margin. Usually there aren't more than a few weeks of operating expenses available, so when you shut them down for two months, you've probably run through what you have.

As for the jab, even if you ignored it, at least it torqued off Kepler, so I guess it had that going for it.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I think there is an obvious medical argument as to why people should stay home, or at least not go out to a crowded bar.

On the other hand, I don't fault the bar owner.

Small businesses are in a tough spot. For most small business owners, the business itself is their retirement. There's no pension. They aren't putting thousands away into a 401k. Their hope is that they can make enough to live on during their working lives, then sell the business for a few bucks when they hit 65 or 70, and use that cash and their social security to live on the rest of their days. To just instantly have that gone through something that they don't control is pretty tough.

Furthermore, when a small business goes belly up financially, it takes the individual with it. If you're a small business owner, you don't have a loan with the bank or a commercial lease that doesn't also require you to sign a personal guaranty. That's just a fact of life.

Thus, when the business fails, the individual gets wiped out too, even if they had something set aside, which usually they don't because they tapped that money to try to keep the business alive.

It's got to be a pretty bad time for those people.
        Gee, if only we had a government, you know, maybe doing something to help these small business get through this time. y'know, maybe just cut the owner a check for a few months, until this whole virus thing is under control?

Nah, we got big corporations to funnel taxpayer money to, under the guise of a small business aid program.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Gee, if only we had a government, you know, maybe doing something to help these small business get through this time. y'know, maybe just cut the owner a check for a few months, until this whole virus thing is under control?

Nah, we got big corporations to funnel taxpayer money to, under the guise of a small business aid program.
          Ideally that would be great. The problem is, I think most of these places have a pretty substantial operating expense base, so it's not like a check for $2000 or something is going to do it.

The PPP program I think would have a better chance of helping bars and restaurants if the period of time over which they could spend the funds would be extended out beyond the present 8 limit, IMHO.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

No wonder. Trump administration has managed to only give out $37 billion of the $500 billion Congress authorized.

The incompetence just keeps on coming. Why don't we have armed rednecks out protesting this?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Well, you know, if the hundreds of millions of dollars billionaires bribe Congress with went to charity instead, and their taxes were also set correctly so we could afford to run a decent country...

... but a majority said "no" to all that in 1980. Reagan proved there are just enough greedy and stupid people in America to make it hell for everyone else. The slight "solace" is 90% of those people are also in misery because of their short sightedness.
              THIS, so much this. Add in the dollars lost from the completely unnecessary tax cut in 2017 and it would be better as well.To Hovey; I ran my own business for 15 years and most of what you stated is accurate. However, as much as this sucks for small business owners, dealing with these types of unforeseen/unexpected situations is part of the basic risk of starting a business. No different than if the business burns down thru no fault of his own. Life happens. The reality is that properly passed, executed, and enforced laws is the bedrock of a civil society. Not only that, by having that many people gathering in such a small area is provably putting other people at risk who aren't within 20 miles in this specific situation.

You know, one way we could reduce the economic hardships is by doing what Canada is doing -- providing $2,000 to every adult, each month the crisis continues. Or, do what Mark Cuban has suggested; giving every household $1,000 every other week BUT, they have to spend that $1,000 within 10 days.

Link: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...tch-2020-05-17

Here's the Tweets he put out as well (sorry, I'm not on Twitter so...)

It's time to face the fact that PPP didn't work. Great plan, difficult execution. No one's fault. The only thing that will save businesses is consumer demand. No amount of loans to businesses will save them or jobs if their customers aren't buying.

1:17 PM - May 17, 2020
              Twitter Ads info and privacy
              6,913 people are talking about this

Mark Cuban

@mcuban
              · May 17, 2020
              Replying to @mcuban
              It's time for trickle up economics. We need a transitional fed jobs program that trains and hires millions for a federal tracking/tracing/testing program as well as for support for at risk populations including long term care. We need to dent unemployment with stable jobs

Mark Cuban

@mcuban
              In addition, because this will take time, we need to consider an interim spending stimulus program. All 128m households could get a $1k check every 2 weeks for the next 2 months that MUST BE SPENT WITHIN 10 DAYS OF RECEIPT OR IT EXPIRES. This "use it or lose it" prog will

1:17 PM - May 17, 2020
              Twitter Ads info and privacy
              2,126 people are talking about this

Mark Cuban

@mcuban
              · May 17, 2020
              Replying to @mcuban
              Cost about $500b, but it will allow for demand for non essential products and services to increase, hopefully keeping most businesses alive, as we learn what the impact of re-opening is on the spread and whether or not employment grows organically.

Mark Cuban

@mcuban
              There is certainly a lot of risk in this use it or lose it approach. A lot to be considered. But it could be patterned after @USDirectExpress. Let me know your thoughts

Comment

The methods on how you track that particular money spent scare the bejeezus out of me. Off the top of my head, the only way is sending everyone a Visa giftcard/etc with an expiration date of 10 days. However, how do you know when the recipient gets it? Sign for it via FedEx/UPS/etc? That adds to the cost of the plan....
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It’s pretty easy. You just tax them at 100% for the money unless they provide an itemized list of expenses on a new form on their return.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    It’s pretty easy. You just tax them at 100% for the money unless they provide an itemized list of expenses on a new form on their return.
                    That is some serious itemization.

I mean, in this case, Mitch Hedberg MIGHT have needed a receipt for that doughnut.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      That is some serious itemization.

I mean, in this case, Mitch Hedberg MIGHT have needed a receipt for that doughnut.
                      Not really. You need to keep receipts for deductions for three years already. Longer if you’re claiming certain things. Forever for other items.

It’s not that hard.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Not really. You need to keep receipts for deductions for three years already. Longer if you’re claiming certain things. Forever for other items.

It’s not that hard.
                        I guess the question is, what is Cuban's burden of proof of spending that money?

Comment

Your budget is x amount of dollars per month. Now you have to spend an extra $1000.

To keep this extra $1000, you must spend it. What if you fall $50 short? Now you have to repay the $1000, which could set you back even further, since you spent a vast majority of that extra $1000, but not quite enough.

Yes, I think this would be rather uncommon, but...

A suggestion would be one could sign up for the idea, I suppose. A "Brewster's Millions" sort of thing, for lack of better phrasing.

Comment

I don't think they mean you have to spend the whole $1K in two weeks or you lost all of it, just that you lose what was not spent. They just don't want people socking it away in savings.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              I don't think they mean you have to spend the whole $1K in two weeks or you lost all of it, just that you lose what was not spent. They just don't want people socking it away in savings.
                              That really changes everything, in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                That really changes everything, in that case.
                                I mean yeah I don't think they want 200M people going all Brewster's Millions, though it would be fun as hell to watch.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X