The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    I prefer non-fiction. I've read books on other religions, as a past-time. My passion is organized crime, pop-culture (the game console wars were especially intriguing to me), some history, but overall? If it's fiction? Nah. I'll save that for the movies. That's my preferred form for the fiction genre.
    And you'd be wrong, but there's no accounting for taste. The books are better than the movies 99.9% of the time. I will grant there's a 1/1000 chance where the reverse is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
      Give it some time for the virus to fully visit the South. We'll hear the squealing for help from the North.
      Probably during hurricane season. Let’s let them go bankrupt too

Comment

• Re: The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        It might just be that we hit a particular nerve with Kep, with the inclusion of Gatsby on the list. Wasn't he a Long Islander at some point? Probably spent many a night staring out over the water imagining he was one of those boats borne back ceaselessly into the past. Or, maybe just pining over some Daisy in his school.
        If the novel was based on Kep's actual life, Daisy would be some high flying PhD working in the corridors of power down in DC while Gatsby would be a slacker drama major from a forgotten Ivy that she married and then gave an allowance to so Gatsby never had to do an honest day's work for the rest of his life!
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Im late to the party but why would Gatsby be considered bannable? Ive read it only because its like 5 pages long. Don't recall anything that bad.
          The hotel room scene with Myrtle, I assume. To be fair it isn't very nice.

But I wouldn't put it past that brain trust to ban a book they had never read.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            Movies are an easier, more passive experience. But comparing the value of movies to good nonfiction (distinguishing between a Michael Connelly novel, as fun as many of them are, and Native Son, for instance) is a little bit like comparing the understanding of a place which you get from a bus tour to that which you would get from living there. There are high quality bus tours, and there are good reasons why a person would choose to go that route under certain circumstances, but they are a brief, passive experience at best.

I understand you are just saying you get more enjoyment out of movies than you do from nonfiction books, not that one has intrinsically more value than the other, Rube. But I throw those thoughts out there because we are talking about the value to our children of the books being banned.
            You might want to re-read his post...or study up on the difference between fiction and nonfiction

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            I prefer non-fiction. I've read books on other religions, as a past-time. My passion is organized crime, pop-culture (the game console wars were especially intriguing to me), some history, but overall? If it's fiction? Nah. I'll save that for the movies. That's my preferred form for the fiction genre.
            He isnt saying he gets more enjoyment out of movies than he does nonfiction...he is saying he reads nonfiction and prefers his fiction be in the form of films. And since when are Michael Connelly novels nonfiction? Harry Bosch isnt real

Your North Dakota/Wisconsin is showing again
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              You might want to re-read his post...or study up on the difference between fiction and nonfiction

He isnt saying he gets more enjoyment out of movies than he does nonfiction...he is saying he reads nonfiction and prefers his fiction be in the form of films. And since when are Michael Connelly novels nonfiction? Harry Bosch isnt real

Your North Dakota/Wisconsin is showing again
              Touche, Handy. That was shooting fish in a barrel for you, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I know what Rube was saying, and I think you could see that I simply made a mistake by using the term nonfiction to describe Connelly's work. His books are obviously fiction. A typo. My point, mistakenly worded as it was, stands.

I completely get why anyone might say they generally prefer movies to fiction books as a means of enjoyment. It's all a matter of personal preference. But that's something different from the value of fiction books to school age children, which is what the ban is all about.
              Last edited by burd; 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Well I assumed it was a basic screw up...but I bet lots of people from NoDak think Jason Bourne is real so I figured I would run with it
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Wait Jason isn’t real??? Then who did I sleep with that one time in Riga??? He had me convinced!!

Comment

I didn't like the books I was forced to read, so I didn't read a few others. Guess I'll just go vote for Trump now...

Geez, sorry I said anything.
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Wait Jason isn’t real??? Then who did I sleep with that one time in Riga??? He had me convinced!!
                      A gentleman never tells.

Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I don't think I've read any of them either. Most are on my list of things to eventually read. Acutally, I might have read Caged Bird but can't remember.

I did read L'Etranger in high school, but I only remember two things:
                        I read it only with the goal of completing assignments for it because it was getting in the way of AP Calc prep
                        I didn't like it much

The problem is, most of these books are too abstract or long for an idiot in 10th grade to understand. I hated assigned reading in high school. Hated it. Hated hated hated hated hated it. I hated people telling me things were great and I should like them. The only teacher who got this was my 11th grade Poetry teacher. At least he understood that he could capture a lot of us number nerds by setting up the reading as a problem to solve rather than spend a month obsessing over 200 pages when 10 would have sufficed*. John Donne was great. But anyways, I can't think of more than a few novels in high school I was compelled to read that I actually enjoyed. Maybe Lord of the Flies, maybe Catcher, and I'm sure there are another one or two I liked but can't remember reading.

It wasn't until college that I started to have better assignments. The intro to political philosophy class had us reading a dozen and a half books, all of which were fantastic. I excelled in that class.

*Yeah, I know ""
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          It kills me when people think Jason Bourne is real. Matt Damon did those things.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            I didn't like the books I was forced to read, so I didn't read a few others. Guess I'll just go vote for Trump now...

Geez, sorry I said anything.
                            Sounds like a job for Daniel Tosh: if it’s forced on you as a child.....
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I don't think I've read any of them either. Most are on my list of things to eventually read. Acutally, I might have read Caged Bird but can't remember.

I did read L'Etranger in high school, but I only remember two things:
                              I read it only with the goal of completing assignments for it because it was getting in the way of AP Calc prep
                              I didn't like it much

The problem is, most of these books are too abstract or long for an idiot in 10th grade to understand. I hated assigned reading in high school. Hated it. Hated hated hated hated hated it. I hated people telling me things were great and I should like them. The only teacher who got this was my 11th grade Poetry teacher. At least he understood that he could capture a lot of us number nerds by setting up the reading as a problem to solve rather than spend a month obsessing over 200 pages when 10 would have sufficed*. John Donne was great. But anyways, I can't think of more than a few novels in high school I was compelled to read that I actually enjoyed. Maybe Lord of the Flies, maybe Catcher, and I'm sure there are another one or two I liked but can't remember reading.

It wasn't until college that I started to have better assignments. The intro to political philosophy class had us reading a dozen and a half books, all of which were fantastic. I excelled in that class.
                              I hated most books I had to read for HS, but I gotta say it helped me develop the discipline to read hard books -- something very difficult for me as I am a listening learner, not a reading learner.

I also remember struggling through Camus (The Plague) in French. I'm reading it now in English and it's pure joy.

It's infuriating that people are trained to think of education as credentialing. That's not education, it's animal training: something done to you do to get a job.

Education is something you do for yourself to make yourself more human.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-24-2020, 07:17 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

But not everyone is going to get something from every book. I was forced to read The Old Man and the Sea and literally wanted to murder everyone in my school. Others could spend hours talking about the intricacies and allegories...that isnt how my mind works. I have read 1000 page books on WWI on the beach while on vacation but I doubt I could read Gatsby again even in the best of conditions.

Personally, I would rather have a discussion with someone about the book than read it it myself. Maybe after I will try because it will help me process it better.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X