X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The GOP should put this in their platform.
    Looks like Palin's district, so no surprise. Just another example of "It can happen here." Still, how in Parise's name to you pull any of those books off the shelf. Were people in attendance (if any) incredulous? Even one person? Was there anger? Did parents threaten to home school their kids? Had any of the "yes" votes even read any of them? Did the two "no" votes resign?

I know the answer to all those is "of course not," but I've lived in some very rural, flyover places, and there are always readers and thinkers in a community, and they often have kids. School board meetings are usually recorded and radio broadcast. It would be painful, but I'd like to hear that discussion, short as it probably was.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      Meh, haven't read a single one of those...
      That says nothing about the books and something about well you know.

In all seriousness at least read Catch-22 and Gatsby. Without those you are a f-cking illiterate.

Invisible Man is a tough read, I imagine twice so for Smugly Ignorant Midwestern Whitebread, but it's rewarding and in its own way funnier (and darker) than Heller.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2020, 08:46 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Looks like Palin's district, so no surprise. Just another example of "It can happen here." Still, how in Parise's name to you pull any of those books off the shelf. Were people in attendance (if any) incredulous? Even one person? Was there anger? Did parents threaten to home school their kids? Had any of the "yes" votes even read any of them? Did the two "no" votes resign?

I know the answer to all those is "of course not," but I've lived in some very rural, flyover places, and there are always readers and thinkers in a community, and they often have kids. School board meetings are usually recorded and radio broadcast. It would be painful, but I'd like to hear that discussion, short as it probably was.
        The smart kids always find a way. The first great challenge for smart kids is navigating through a world of mostly stupid people. Early on it's the stupid kids, but it becomes obvious quickly that most adults are pretty dumb too.

A little oppression is good for the soul. Gives you some anger and some spine, and those will be handy later in life.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2020, 08:43 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A little oppression is good for the soul. Gives you some anger and some spine, and those will be handy later in life.
          In that case, I'm ****ed and my spine is made of steel.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            In that case, I'm ****ed and my spine is made of steel.
            "It is from their foes, not their friends, that cities learn the lesson of building high walls." -- Aristophanes

The finks, used correctly, are a resource.
            Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2020, 09:01 PM.
            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Never change Wasilla, never change...
              This is right when the kids go to the city/county library’s site to checkout/download copies of these books
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Gatsby sucked arse.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  That says nothing about the books and something about well you know.

In all seriousness at least read Catch-22 and Gatsby. Without those you are a f-cking illiterate.
                  It's more that I only took one english lit class in High School.

More to the point, banning books is stupid.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

More to the point, banning books is stupid.
                    Banning books is really stupid.

I only took one Lit class in HS also, and it got me into Shakespeare and Greek mythology. That part was awesome. Did have to read some duds, though.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Remember when some schools banned The Egypt Game because of the attack near the end? Or because it supposedly promoted paganism?

Comment

Not books, but I remember The Cure's song "Killing An Arab" was harshly criticized, and it was from a book ending. It was not a call for violence on Arabs.

People are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          Not books, but I remember The Cure's song "Killing An Arab" was harshly criticized, and it was from a book ending. It was not a call for violence on Arabs.

People are stupid.
                          The book is The Stranger, by Albert Camus. Ironically, he was always a speaker for the cause of Algerian Muslims (who I'm pretty sure are Berbers, not Arabs).

But most people are stupid. It doesn't help that they are also proud of their ignorance. They think it's "authentic." That's how you get Reagan, Dubya, and Dump.

We molded these imbeciles to hate book learnin' because they wouldn't need it in the fields and factories and mines and barracks and it would only give them ideas -- alcohol in the blood surrogate for the Epsilon minuses -- but it backfired because a dummy's vote counts just the same as a smarty, and there are way more of them.

Turns out Hamilton was right. Suffrage is too broad.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2020, 11:38 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

And it's never occurred to you that you can read books all on your own?

Jesus f-ck, if reading is what you people mean by elitist then save me from the common man. It's like watching pigs at the trough.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Jesus f-ck, if reading is what you people mean by elitist then save me from the common man. It's like watching pigs at the trough.
                              I prefer non-fiction. I've read books on other religions, as a past-time. My passion is organized crime, pop-culture (the game console wars were especially intriguing to me), some history, but overall? If it's fiction? Nah. I'll save that for the movies. That's my preferred form for the fiction genre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Or maybe people don't enjoy that stuff so they read other books. You couldn't pay me to read a book by Hemingway or attempt to read Catcher in the Rye again but that doesn't make me uneducated or "common" it means I read stuff that is enjoyable not petulant, misogynistic, self indulgent crap

You are an elitist because you think people who don't like what you like or choose a path you didn't want to take makes them beneath you. Oh and because you like to pretend your Suny-Hipster diploma matters to anyone.

(tongue firmly in cheek for second part )
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X