Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

    It is liberal, but he is kind of a big deal there. He has a much better chance winning that election than he would the run for Governor. Birk wont do better than Jason Lewis did this past round especially running against Walz. He grew up in Saint Paul, went to private school there, had a restaurant there for a while (which failed horribly cause it was awful) and still lives there. They might elect him on his celebrity. Minneapolis and Duluth wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole because he is a Trumper.

    Saint Paul elected Norm Coleman when he was a Republican. (after he flipped parties)

    (it should be noted he probably wouldnt win there either...but his chances are WAY better)
    Dude was a Center, right? Who the hell has even heard of the Center? I have been a Seahawks fan for 44 years and not only do I not know the name of the current Centers, I could not name a single one in their history off the top of my head, and I only recognized one name (Max Unger) after looking them all up.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-02-2020, 01:02 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • Did you grow up in Seattle? Did their center grow up there? This isnt exactly rocket science it is no different than any home town hero.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

      "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

      Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

        Dude was a Center, right? Who the hell has even heard of the Center? I have been a Seahawks fan for 44 years and not only do I not know the name of the current Centers, I could not name a single one in their history off the top of my head, and I only recognized one name (Max Unger) after looking them all up.
        You clearly do not understand Vikings fans. Mick Tingelhoff is in the Vikings Ring of Honor. Superstar Mike Morris became a host on the most popular sports jock radio station in the Twin Cities, and he wasn't even a full time center, just a long snapper.

        You picked the wrong fight against the wrong group of fans.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

          It is liberal, but he is kind of a big deal there. He has a much better chance winning that election than he would the run for Governor. Birk wont do better than Jason Lewis did this past round especially running against Walz. He grew up in Saint Paul, went to private school there, had a restaurant there for a while (which failed horribly cause it was awful) and still lives there. They might elect him on his celebrity. Minneapolis and Duluth wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole because he is a Trumper.

          Saint Paul elected Norm Coleman when he was a Republican. (after he flipped parties)

          (it should be noted he probably wouldnt win there either...but his chances are WAY better)
          He does not live in St. Paul currently, rather one of its nearby southern suburbs along 35E. His neighborhood has a history of paying a company every year to put up a very elaborate series of Xmas light displays, but not all home owners participate in that tradition. I don't recall if he does or not, but his house is notable because it's the only one where the family car is a nicely appointed, small bus. One thing for which he absolutely does hold an admirable trait is that he's used a good chunk of his money to adopt a number of children from struggling backgrounds, across a number of different races. Friends of mine are trying to adopt currently, it's about a $50k process.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

          "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

          "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Did you grow up in Seattle? Did their center grow up there? This isnt exactly rocket science it is no different than any home town hero.
            Oh, OK, I get it. I had no idea he was a Hometown Boy. That's different.

            I looked him up. His HS was actually named "Cretin." I imagine that leads to much HS tomfoolery.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

              Oh, OK, I get it. I had no idea he was a Hometown Boy. That's different.

              I looked him up. His HS was actually named "Cretin." I imagine that leads to much HS tomfoolery.
              Cretin-Durham Hall, it's a liberal Catholic sports high school. They put out Joe Mauer, too.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                You clearly do not understand Vikings fans. Mick Tingelhoff is in the Vikings Ring of Honor. Superstar Mike Morris became a host on the most popular sports jock radio station in the Twin Cities, and he wasn't even a full time center, just a long snapper.

                You picked the wrong fight against the wrong group of fans.
                No, no, no, I was not picking a fight. I just did not realize that Vikings : Minneapolis :: Redskins : DC.

                I assumed Minny was hockey country, period.

                For the record I like the Vikes. Have ever since this young fella:




                Excluding fandom, here are the most interesting NFL franchises:
                Code:
                 1. Oakland
                 2. Minnesota
                 3. Baltimore (Colts)
                 4. Washington
                 5. Pittsburgh
                 6. Dallas
                 7. Miami
                 8. Denver
                 9. LA Rams
                10. Cleveland
                11. Detroit
                12. San Diego
                13. Houston (Oilers)
                14. St. Louis (Cardinals)
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                  No, no, no, I was not picking a fight. I just did not realize that Vikings : Minneapolis :: Redskins : DC.

                  I assumed Minny was hockey country, period.

                  For the record I like the Vikes. Have ever since this young fella:




                  Excluding fandom, here are the most interesting NFL franchises:
                  Code:
                   1. Oakland
                  2. Minnesota
                  3. Baltimore (Colts)
                  4. Washington
                  5. Pittsburgh
                  6. Dallas
                  7. Miami
                  8. Denver
                  9. LA Rams
                  10. Cleveland
                  11. Detroit
                  12. San Diego
                  13. Houston (Oilers)
                  14. St. Louis (Cardinals)
                  Minnesota is hockey loving...but it is still niche beyond belief. The Vikings own this town. Nothing comes close...

                  (and hockey will never be as big as hockey fans pretend it is around here outside of the HS Hockey Tournament)
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

                  "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

                  Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

                    He does not live in St. Paul currently, rather one of its nearby southern suburbs along 35E. His neighborhood has a history of paying a company every year to put up a very elaborate series of Xmas light displays, but not all home owners participate in that tradition. I don't recall if he does or not, but his house is notable because it's the only one where the family car is a nicely appointed, small bus. One thing for which he absolutely does hold an admirable trait is that he's used a good chunk of his money to adopt a number of children from struggling backgrounds, across a number of different races. Friends of mine are trying to adopt currently, it's about a $50k process.
                    As I said when he was ripped for going to the Trump rally...he does a lot of good work that deserves praise. Problem is a lot of people do and they arent COVID Hoaxers like the Big Red Headed Buffoon.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

                    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

                    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

                      Minnesota is hockey loving...but it is still niche beyond belief. The Vikings own this town. Nothing comes close...

                      (and hockey will never be as big as hockey fans pretend it is around here outside of the HS Hockey Tournament)
                      I'm very surprised. I guess because my only contact with MN / WI / MI / ND has been through hockey. I thought the entire region was South Manitoba.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                        I'm very surprised. I guess because my only contact with MN / WI / MI / ND has been through hockey. I thought the entire region was South Manitoba.
                        The farther north you travel, the more that's true. However, since hockey is an expensive sport a lot of parents shy away from having their children play it. That said, in the early 2000's, you could have the Wild, Gophers, and two or three other WCHA schools in the state all with sellout arenas, along with some of the hockey-oriented high schools packed to the rafters. I'd say that Big10 Hockey has hurt the interest in the college game within the state. Thanks, Wisconsin.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                        "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                        "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

                          The farther north you travel, the more that's true. However, since hockey is an expensive sport a lot of parents shy away from having their children play it. That said, in the early 2000's, you could have the Wild, Gophers, and two or three other WCHA schools in the state all with sellout arenas, along with some of the hockey-oriented high schools packed to the rafters. I'd say that Big10 Hockey has hurt the interest in the college game within the state. Thanks, Wisconsin.
                          That isnt exactly true. Plenty of schools were having issues with fans showing up before the Big Ten started. A couple years before the Big Ten I went to a game between the Gophers and SCCC at the Concrete Bunker and it was pick your row night. Even 5 years before that I would have been SRO if I was lucky. Greed and in reality the niche level of the sport really killed it. Even a bunch of the old posters around here who were SCCC season ticket holders had stopped going by then.

                          The U overcharged based on demand (because the Stars left) and other schools overcharged to pay off their athletic budget. The Final Five paid for the WCHA but it was mostly Gopher fans buying the tickets and that got old. (especially after the Gophers missed it twice) The Big Ten was just the final nail.

                          And even with all of that...a Vikings scrimmage would get better ratings than a massive Gopher game I would bet back then. I remember when a dude from Fox Sports would post on GPL (cause everyone there whines and complains) and basically explained how little the ratings were and how little money they actually made. Dude from Big Ten did the same thing. College Hockey was only profitable for the schools, and you can't trust them to not kill the Golden Goose. (which they did)

                          Hockey is bigger here than most places...but honestly it would be at best 3rd in line and honestly as much as it annoys people if we had a decent college basketball or NBA team they would probably beat hockey as well.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

                          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

                          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

                            That isnt exactly true. Plenty of schools were having issues with fans showing up before the Big Ten started. A couple years before the Big Ten I went to a game between the Gophers and SCCC at the Concrete Bunker and it was pick your row night. Even 5 years before that I would have been SRO if I was lucky. Greed and in reality the niche level of the sport really killed it. Even a bunch of the old posters around here who were SCCC season ticket holders had stopped going by then.

                            The U overcharged based on demand (because the Stars left) and other schools overcharged to pay off their athletic budget. The Final Five paid for the WCHA but it was mostly Gopher fans buying the tickets and that got old. (especially after the Gophers missed it twice) The Big Ten was just the final nail.

                            And even with all of that...a Vikings scrimmage would get better ratings than a massive Gopher game I would bet back then. I remember when a dude from Fox Sports would post on GPL (cause everyone there whines and complains) and basically explained how little the ratings were and how little money they actually made. Dude from Big Ten did the same thing. College Hockey was only profitable for the schools, and you can't trust them to not kill the Golden Goose. (which they did)

                            Hockey is bigger here than most places...but honestly it would be at best 3rd in line and honestly as much as it annoys people if we had a decent college basketball or NBA team they would probably beat hockey as well.
                            I didn't mean to say that it was the HUGE thing, only that it was once bigger.

                            And yes, attendance has declined at SCSU. The AD made changes to how students could participate in their various cheers in the stands, and prices shot up disproportionate to inflation rates, and that has left the school with a half-empty arena except for when UND or UMD come to town.

                            In regards to the Gophers playing there, that series took a big hit once Lucia et al made it known during the waning years of the old WCHA that they didn't want to play SCSU four times each season. Rivalries live through continuous, competitive play. Husky fans lost interest in the Golden Rodents shortly after Lucia lost interest in losing to SCSU so much.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                            "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                            "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

                              I didn't mean to say that it was the HUGE thing, only that it was once bigger.

                              And yes, attendance has declined at SCSU. The AD made changes to how students could participate in their various cheers in the stands, and prices shot up disproportionate to inflation rates, and that has left the school with a half-empty arena except for when UND or UMD come to town.

                              In regards to the Gophers playing there, that series took a big hit once Lucia et al made it known during the waning years of the old WCHA that they didn't want to play SCSU four times each season. Rivalries live through continuous, competitive play. Husky fans lost interest in the Golden Rodents shortly after Lucia lost interest in losing to SCSU so much.
                              Husky fans never lost interest in anything but the Huskies. (and sobriety) But tell yourself whatever helps sooth the pain of another first round loss ;^)

                              And Lucia had problems with the entire setup of the WCHA not just playing the Huskies. (let alone losing to them...hey remember the last WCHA Title ;^) ) The rivalries suffered because there was too many ****ed teams and they all relied on the Gophers/Sconnie and to a lesser extent UND to make their budget. (UND realized how annoying that was which is why they didnt stay in the WCHA and formed the Nacho) It was tough enough when there was 10 teams but when it jumped to 12 there was no way to keep all the rivalries alive and make a schedule that worked. Old Pio went on rants back in the day around here about how if the Gophers or Wisconsin didn't come to town their budget was in trouble. The WCHA needed to split...but no team (even the Gophers) wanted to give up the games that mattered most and that left the door open to the Big Ten (thanks Wisconsin!) to blow up the whole world.
                              Last edited by Handyman; 12-02-2020, 11:50 AM.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

                              "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

                              Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                              Comment


                              • Why is everybody blaming the BTHC on Wisconsin? I thought there was a trigger in the conference rules when you hit the magic number, so when Pegula splooged that was it?

                                Blame the conference for admitting Pedo State in 93. Was Wisco the deciding vote or something?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X