The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    There is no universe where I will recognize any part of NY or PA as midwest. IT'S ALMOST AS ****ING EAST AS YOU CAN GET.
    That appears to be subgroup Rustbelt.

Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Morgantown, and your more typical Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and St Louis. It also looks to include all of Ohio and not just the Ohio Valley, and Louisville KY thanks to the Ohio River.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

That appears to be subgroup Rustbelt.

Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Morgantown, and your more typical Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and St Louis. It also looks to include all of Ohio and not just the Ohio Valley, and Louisville KY thanks to the Ohio River.
      Midwest should overlap most of the Dakotas and have none PA/NY.

Now, if you're dead set against removing NY/PA, then the map is still dumb. Because the south south move north to the IA/MO border.

Im also not sure about Delaware and MD in the south. Can someone from that area explain? I assumed the south went as far as NOVA. But that's it. Wait, NM, the Mason Dixon put MD as the northern border. Ok that makes sense. Delaware is still confusing.

Lol, I just saw Florida. Nice.

to Kepler's point, this is one of the best attempts at it. We're squabbling about just a few of the border regions. Which is a good sign for its credibility. And I like that it overlaps. Not sure I've seen that before. That is absolutely correct.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Come to think of it, basically they drew the midwest as the Great Lake States. Which is different but highly overlapped with the Midwest.

And I agree with a lot of the criticisms Kepler said. However. I disagree with him on New Orleans. It's still very proper The South. It's just the most refined version of it. Like the Twin Cities and Chicago to the Midwest.

NYC I could see an argument for. It's just... everything. Midwest, the South, NE, West Coast, Florida. Basically everything but the plains and west.

San Francisco is the most west coast thing in existence. You couldn't distill a more pure version of it. It's hit an azeotrope.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Come to think of it, basically they drew the midwest as the Great Lake States. Which is different but highly overlapped with the Midwest.

And I agree with a lot of the criticisms Kepler said. However. I disagree with him on New Orleans. It's still very proper The South. It's just the most refined version of it. Like the Twin Cities and Chicago to the Midwest.

NYC I could see an argument for. It's just... everything. Midwest, the South, NE, West Coast, Florida. Basically everything but the plains and west.

San Francisco is the most west coast thing in existence. You couldn't distill a more pure version of it. It's hit an azeotrope.
          I respectfully disagree on Nola. It is not a more refined South. Its diversity is largely different, for one thing. It may have live-oak plantations nearby, but it's not Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, or Richmond. In terms of statutory and common law, all of La is almost a foreign country. I also don't see Nola as refined at all.

Comment

• New Orleans is not The South. Louisiana yes but New Orleans is pretty much everything The South would be against. Just because it has mansions and they have an accent doesn't make them The South. They are LGBTQ+ friendly, love minorities and hate conservatives. ;^)

As for the map...it looks like the "Midwest" is just the old (and best) Big Ten. If it meant we could go back to that I might accept that map.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

I respectfully disagree on Nola. It is not a more refined South. Its diversity is largely different, for one thing. It may have live-oak plantations nearby, but it's not Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, or Richmond. In terms of statutory and common law, all of La is almost a foreign country. I also don't see Nola as refined.
              There are parts of NoLa that are refined, but even they are pretty grungy and hippy dippy until you get outside of the city.

NoLa's roots aren't White (they are about as mixed as anywhere I have ever seen) which is why it isn't "South". It is closer to "creole" than it is to "White".
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

There is no universe where I will recognize any part of NY or PA as midwest. IT'S ALMOST AS ****ING EAST AS YOU CAN GET.
                Erie and Buffalo have more in common with us than Philadelphia or NYC.

Speaking solely geographically, I agree with you.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

There are parts of NoLa that are refined, but even they are pretty grungy and hippy dippy until you get outside of the city.

NoLa's roots aren't White (they are about as mixed as anywhere I have ever seen) which is why it isn't "South". It is closer to "creole" than it is to "White".
                  Mix Montreal, SF, and Charleston, and you might get something similar. And that doesn't give you the bayou/creole factor. But dx would likely point out that you wouldn't have the blues influence, and he'd be right.

Nola isn't Istanbul, but they share a uniqueness.
                  Last edited by burd; 01-07-2023, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Mix Montreal, SF, and Charleston, and you might get something similar. And that doesn't give you the bayou/creole factor. But dx would likely point out that you wouldn't have the blues influence, and he'd be right.

Nola isn't Istanbul, but they share a uniqueness.
                    Yeah I havent been to Istanbul but great point! There were parts of South Africa that were pretty weirdly mixed up to in a similar way. Capetown is one crazy city!

I go to NoLa a lot (its my SOs fave American city and maybe favorite in the world) and I think the best way to describe it is that it is the melting pot America was supposed to be. Everywhere else it is either divided or homogenized...NoLa it is blended.

Funny thing is, half "The South" really isn't what most of us think of as The South and they would hate to be lumped together. Rural AK /= Charlston or Savannah. Back in the day the Rurals were barely above The Slaves in the eyes of the Southern Gentry.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I go to NoLa a lot (its my SOs fave American city and maybe favorite in the world) and I think the best way to describe it is that it is the melting pot America was supposed to be. Everywhere else it is either divided or homogenized...NoLa it is blended.
                      I'd only done jazz fest and oyster fest before our daughter went to Tulane in '16 and stayed there, so we go down maybe once or twice a year. Her SO is the son of a Ghanian father and a native delta area mother, so she is exposed to that unique Nola diversity though him as well. Instead of Wisconsin bonfire keggers and pig roasts, she's doing crawfish boils now. It's a smallish city with lots or political corruption, failed fixes, and its share of cruel poverty. But it is so rich in culture that has nothing to do with Bourbon Street.

Comment

I'd only done jazz fest and oyster fest before our daughter went to Tulane in '16 and stayed there, so we go down maybe once or twice a year. Her SO is the son of a Ghanian father and a native delta area mother, so she is exposed to that unique Nola diversity though him as well. Instead of Wisconsin bonfire keggers and pig roasts, she's doing crawfish boils now. It's a smallish city with lots or political corruption, failed fixes, and its share of cruel poverty. But it is so rich in culture that has nothing to do with Bourbon Street.
                        Garden District >>>> Bourbon Street

I went to Jazzfest last year for the SOs 40th...amazing weekend!
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Are folks in other parts of the country hearing about this one https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...?p1=hp_primary

Lot going on in this case. Sounds like it’s likely the husband but she have done a runner.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            [/LIST]I like that Appalachia and the Mid Atlantic, which usually appear on these things, do not. Appalachia is to me just infiltration of the South into other regions.
                            For the South, I follow the I-70 Rule from Maryland to Kansas and find it to be pretty accurate. For me that freeway is the line south of which people start talking slower and eating gravy and grits at breakfast. Cincy is about 60/40 Yank vs. Reb and everything south of that is definitely whistlin' Dixie.

Comment

Garden District >>>> Bourbon Street
                              Anything > Bourbon Street

BS has just become the same type of drunken morons who go to PCB. The only way I'd go there is as a pickpocket.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-07-2023, 08:44 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Anything > Bourbon Street

BS has just become the same type of drunken morons who go to PCB. The only way I'd go there is as a pickpocket.

Long before the era of cellphones, I once went into a packed bar on Bourbon Street with a friend. I went to use the bathroom, and when I returned, my friend was nowhere to be found. I was finally able to locate him 12 hours later, in a cheap motel in Mobile, Alabama. He got there by way of the bed of a stranger's pick up truck, an ambulance, and a bus full of hookers. True story.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X