This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    When I went college in '98 I had to take a math placement test because I barely passed higher algebra in HS. They were going to make me take Algebra again but my department only required one true math credit so I took Logic. Best decision I ever made!
    I took a very similar path. Math wasn’t needed for my degree other than a general credit requirement. Initially enrolled in a remedial math course, decided it was silly because it didn’t give me any credit regardless of passing or failing. Took a sociology class that satisfied the general requirement because it was heavy on statistics. Aced it.

I’m actually quite good at math, I was just a terrible student for most of high school.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Funny-ish story. They covered trig for one month in my HS math class. That month I missed entirely with mono. To this day I still have trouble with trig -- it's the one rudimentary math topic for me where I know all the recipes but I never truly soaked in it and got a comfortable grounding in it. That was really bad timing because I love trig applications in calculus and I love the basic geometry of trig -- it is very beautiful. But it is balancing on a log (so to speak) to this day.

Teachers are important.
      SOHCAHTOA

gosh I thought I was a failure for barely passing AP calc in high school. Then I found statistics and felt smart again

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

In a lot of cases Higher Algrebra is not required for life or work so I would not require that for High School or College. Some High Schools do require it. But basic Algebra should be. Maybe College Algebra is what we called "Advanced Algrebra and Trigonometry" when I went to High School, I don't know.

The Geometry High School course where my daughters went to school was pretty notorious and required by all students. I never understood that. For certain fields, yeah. But not everyone.
        Back in 95, SCSU had me take a meth placement test during freshman orientation. If you passed it with X percent (I forget the exact number), you either had to take math 130 and then math 131, or you skipped right to math 131. 130 was basically high school algebra, called remedial algebra by the school, and then 131 was was college algebra, which was basically my AAT class from high school, but lighter on the trig than my high school course. All students had to take an algebra class, passing 131 was needed to take a calculus course or any other higher level math course.

I unofficially tutored a number of Math 130 students who lived in my dorm, and a couple other friends made, when they learned I tested into 131. Same goes for the basic physics and chemistry courses.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I posted it because I initially misread it as high schools scrapping the requirement. My brain could, quite literally, not accept it was universities.
          Yeah I had to read that twice. I thought algebra wasn't even taught in universities.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yeah I had to read that twice. I thought algebra wasn't even taught in universities.
            Is this an example of “Tell me you attended a university that wouldn’t accept me without saying the words?”

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Is this an example of “Tell me you attended a university that wouldn’t accept me without saying the words?”
              No, seriously. I didn't think they taught it. I thought it was a requirement to get into college. To at least have algebra I/II by 12th grade. I thought colleges stuck with calc, linear algebra, and stats.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Back in 95, SCSU had me take a meth placement test during freshman orientation. If you passed it with X percent (I forget the exact number), you either had to take math 130 and then math 131, or you skipped right to math 131. 130 was basically high school algebra, called remedial algebra by the school, and then 131 was was college algebra, which was basically my AAT class from high school, but lighter on the trig than my high school course. All students had to take an algebra class, passing 131 was needed to take a calculus course or any other higher level math course.

I unofficially tutored a number of Math 130 students who lived in my dorm, and a couple other friends made, when they learned I tested into 131. Same goes for the basic physics and chemistry courses.
                Meth placement test at SCSU? Did you have to run from meth zombies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Meth placement test at SCSU? Did you have to run from meth zombies?
                  Did you ever tour the campus? If yes, you shouldn’t have to ask that question . It’s obviously a yes.

Comment

• Well, Kansas is suddenly making me feel better about Alaska’s failing education system. My 8th grade daughter is considering taking a summer school algebra class because it’s required for the 9th grade science class her science teacher wants to place her in. I always felt a bit dumb having only taken Algebra II in HS.

I’m pretty sure a year of Algebra I is still a required credit for graduation in Alaska.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Basic algebra is a requirement for just getting through life. Basic geometry isn't unless you wind up on Survivor. Number theory isn't required unless you are going to get into the philosophy of math and spend 106 pages proving 1+1 = 2.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Did you ever tour the campus? If yes, you shouldn’t have to ask that question . It’s obviously a yes.
                        The good news? 100% pass rate.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

You forgot the business majors.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

SOHCAHTOA

gosh I thought I was a failure for barely passing AP calc in high school. Then I found statistics and felt smart again
                            If you stay in statistics long enough, you can feel stupid again.

Cornell University

Comment

Holes Hall (or whatever) always did smell weird ;^)
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Stats 101 is easy. Applied stats where you actually have to build out statistical models for real-world scenarios is usually harder.

Comment

Working...
                                X