X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I can see them doing the small stuff, sure.

But as far as tourism goes, Orlando is THE destination for the Disney parks. No way that one of the Asian parks will step up their game enough to supplant it, and Paris has always been a 2nd tier park in the eyes of the Mouse. I just don't see things shifting unless Orlando loses 25% or more of their tourist visits. That's what drives things. That's the "destination" park.
    Things can change, especially if the FLGOP wants to fuck around and find out.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Disney can do little things and create a death by a thousand cuts scenario.

First thing they’ll do is ship off studio and admin jobs to other places. Then they’ll cut back on major improvements to Disney World while looking at major expansions and renovations in California and France and possibly Shanghai and Hong Kong to drive their traffic to other parks.

Also seems like a good time to cut some cruise line traffic out of Florida too.
    I can see them doing the small stuff, sure.

But as far as tourism goes, Orlando is THE destination for the Disney parks. No way that one of the Asian parks will step up their game enough to supplant it, and Paris has always been a 2nd tier park in the eyes of the Mouse. I just don't see things shifting unless Orlando loses 25% or more of their tourist visits. That's what drives things. That's the "destination" park.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    I guess learning about black mathematicians will make white swamp trash sad or something: https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status...20717023846400

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

That makes sense. They specifically want to target the Mouse.

Reality is that the GOP actually, in the immediate moment, has all the power. It's not like Di$ney can just pick up their theme park and move to Alabama with it. They will be in Orlando for AT LEAST 20 years, if not further. Also, the parks have a lot if integrated infrastructure that simply isn't feasible to put into a new site somewhere else without a bill that is in the 100's of billions (with a "B") of dollars.

Now on the back end, I can't speak to the influence that Di$ney has behind the curtin. They are the golden example of an evil corporation that can play everyone like fools and work on both sides of the line.

This is going to be a complex game and I don't think that the GOP is taking a position that is as hap-hazard as it may seem.
    They don't have to pick up and move. If this passes they will strangle Flo(R)ida and it will not be pretty. Jim has a good list to start but there is so much more and they definitely have it all planned out and probably have for years just in case an idiot like DeSantis got put in charge. Di$ney didn't become EvilCorp by making cartoons...they did it by drinking turpentine, pizzing on their competitors and lighting a match.

And you are wrong, this is not a complex game and it is as hap-hazard as it seems. This is not 4D Chess this is full on reactionary BS. Many of the things that DeSantis is deriding he had his staff help to update within the last term. They have no plan for this because it was never supposed to get this far. (that is why someone activated the Pedo crap so early) This was supposed to be a few days news cycle, a bunch of headlines and Faux News segments as DeSantis beefed up his bid to take on Trump in the primaries. I guarantee DeSantis never really had any plan to take on Di$ney, he just wanted them to say when this all blows over in a year they will donate again. (like all the Big Corps did in Georgia 6 months after 1/6) Either they didn't, or he lost control of the narrative because his fellow morons in the Leg decided they wanted to do this since they don't live in Orlando so Di$ney doesn't matter to them. Either way, this is not what they wanted and it is not the type of action that will help DeSantis in the long run either in his Presidential Bid or if he wants to stay Governor of Flo(R)ida. It doesn't guarantee a loss or anything, but few take on The Mouse and survive, and sooner or later even the Pedophilia stuff won't work because every parent raises their kid on something from Di$ney. They are ubiquitous. (its why I am glad I don't have kids I don't have to pretend to support them)

This whole thing is the perfect example of how we are living in 1984. Flo(R)ida is about to pass the law, Di$ney gets called out for donating to all of these fuckwits, Di$ney CEO explains himself badly, Di$ney employees throw a fit and start to leak info on how Di$ney is not LGBTQ+ friendly, Di$ney is hated by Liberals and loved by the Right, Di$ney CEO decides he can't take how stupid he sounded and how much the press is turning on them and flip flops and then the Right goes full on "Di$ney is woke!1!!1!! and must be stopped cause the Pedophilia!1!!" while the Liberals still don't really like Di$ney but don't hate them as much. And this wasn't over the course of decades or years...this was a manner of fucking weeks! We have always been at war with Eurasia...
    ]
    As for the tax bill, most of that will be paid by Orange and Osceola Counties if I read right...not places DeSantis and the GOP does well. The story broke yesterday...and most of the politicians didn't even know.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Holy ****, Florida sinking lower today

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/sta..._76Aq35f_u6w5w
    So how's that plan to keep government out of healthcare going?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X