X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    As I said the last time this came up, I honestly dont have much of an issue with the Flo(R)ida plan if the vet passes the skills test and are making progress towards their degree. They should have to take a psych eval too though.
    There are so many intangibles with teaching that you don’t have in other professions. I think parents and kids need to accept you’re going to get more from some teachers than others regardless of qualifications. Having diversity of background/experience certainly isn’t a bad thing either.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I just saw a video of that lunatic that beat Liz Cheney in Wyoming. Sooo....did that lunatic win because the GQP wanted to get back at Cheney because she doesn't worship Trump and would have voted for a traffic cone over her, or do they actually think that lunatic is a good choice? I have relatives in Wyoming and if they voted for that...that...I can't even put into words what she is, I'll be so incredibly disappointed.
    Dumpy is their king. They all do as they say. That's all there is to it.

Dump's endorsement carries the weight of the world on the R side of things and in order to receive it, one has to buy into all the conspiracy stuff along with the backwoods sexism, racism, theology, etc.

Hopefully we are at a point to where a candidate can not win a primary without Dump's endorsement, but that same endorsement is a kiss of death in a General Election.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    I just saw a video of that lunatic that beat Liz Cheney in Wyoming. Sooo....did that lunatic win because the GQP wanted to get back at Cheney because she doesn't worship Trump and would have voted for a traffic cone over her, or do they actually think that lunatic is a good choice? I have relatives in Wyoming and if they voted for that...that...I can't even put into words what she is, I'll be so incredibly disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Whitmer is only up five points on Tudor Dixon in a new poll from AARP. I didn’t even know they did polls, so no clue on bias or methodology, but that is way too close regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    In Minneapolis they pay parents a mediocre stipend to drive their kids to school because of the driver shortage.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    If you want peak “you get what you vote for” you should see Alaska. Not only do we have a teacher shortage, we have a bus driver shortage in the largest districts so bad that they have to rotate the services, meaning every single route will not be in service at some point. In Anchorage they had to tell parents to set up carpools. School started today.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    I see Oz recently had his Swiss cheesesteak incident when shopping for "crudite" at "Wegner's". Such a devoted resident of Pennsylvania. ;-)

Also, in responding to a Fetterman troll Tweet, the snake oil salesman would like all of us to know that it doesn't matter that he actually owns 10 properties instead of the 2 he claimed, because at least he bought HIS properties with HIS money. Not a great look.

Leave a comment:

• sagard
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    ...the Minnesota Department of Education ...
    I asked about subbing and filling my student teaching obligations concurrently. They never got back to me. They apparently have plenty of math teachers.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied
    Half the country doesn't think teachers are indoctrinating groomers.

They just say it cause they think it will win them elections and own the libs. None of them actually believe this ****.

Well, maybe a small percentage of Trumplandia actually believes. Anyone with half a functioning brain knows its just bull****. But doesn't stop them from saying it.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Aight imma back outta this thread for a couple days...
    What fun is that? I get what he is saying, and he is...say...85% right ;^)

BTW I agree with what you were saying in the post that started all this, the problem I also see that unless we figure out something and fast we are in a lot of trouble. Right now my home district (the one my GF works in) has almost 150 openings for various positions from teachers to support staff. That is double the normal amount at this time. (almost triple) almost every district around us is in the same boat. This is untenable. Districts can't even seem to hire subs anymore.

Let me put it this way...in 2007 I got my license to teach. I could not find a job to save my life. I couldn't even get an email reply telling me to buzz off let alone an interview or a job. I could sub but that wasn't even guaranteed to give me shifts. I had classmates who subbed in 4-5 districts just to work a couple times a week it was that tough. At this point if you call any district in the Twin Cities you can get on the sub list if you have an undergrad degree. (if you are licensed you get paid more but it is not required) Not only will you work every day, there is a solid chance you will get a long term sub position even if you aren't qualified. There are some schools and districts that are already behind the 8 ball trying to find subs to fill holes and the school year doesnt start for 3 weeks!

There is a brain drain in public education going on the likes of which hasn't been seen in my lifetime. And it is not going away any time soon because between half the country thinking teachers are indoctrinating groomers and people in charge making it impossible to teach for a bevy of reasons (one day I will record the rants my girlfriend and her colleagues make about the Minnesota Department of Education and post it here...they are legendary) and people would rather do anything but teach.

I hate sounding like Scooby, I truly do but this is very very bad and I am not sure there is a real solution anymore. Certain parts of our populace have been fighting for this scenario for 40 years and now we are here and there is no way out. Its Sophie's choice...both options suck.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The dumbest thing ever written on this board will not be by a Republican.

That is remarkable.

If this is what you truly think I suggest you are an incomparably terrible teacher who should find another line of work.
    You know what I had a much longer rant written that was going to prove your whole stupid premise wrong, but I wont. How about for once you back off and just accept that your limited experience in the world doesn't mean you can speak for everyone about everything mmmkay?

I like how you even contradict yourself within your three lines. So I am wrong for saying some teachers are bad, but you then say I am a bad teacher if I think that. That is Trumpian level circular logic.

My girlfriend, who has been a teacher for longer than I have, is very chummy with the local union head. If you heard the stories that I hear you would walk back literally every word you just said. (this is not hyperbole btw...I could tell you stories that would make you face palm faster than if you read a post by Sicatoka) Teachers with decades of experience who have no interest in the job, the students or even learning, new teachers that have degrees well in advance of mine who can barely string sentences together let alone a coherent lesson plan, teachers so inept and worthless even the union wishes they would lose their job but can't allow it to happen. And this isn't in Childrapist, OH or LowIQville, FL this is in a pretty decent district in a rather wealthy (and Blue!) cluster of suburbs.

Is the percentage high? No. But it is more than you think. Part of that is on the education they get to get their license, part of it is the environment they are put in. (inability to discipline is becoming a huge issue here) Part of it is that these people didn't get into teaching for altruistic reasons, or because they enjoy helping kids learn as academics, but for other reasons so they do less than what would be considered the minimum. The fact that the good teachers are quitting en masse is creating a vacuum also that is making it worse.

But hey what would I know, I am only a teacher, whose best friend is a (now former) teacher, who lives with a teacher who is the daughter of 2 teachers.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Both of my kids got into exam schools. Not sure what I'd have done if I lived in Shytbird, FL.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Don't worry, he doesn't rate another response on the topic.

Wyoming is waiting for the other to drop.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X