Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does someone definitively know how the CA recall works if neither yes or no gets >50% of votes cast (due to abstentions of question 1)? All the descriptions, including on the CA Sec of State’s FAQ page) just ambiguously say that he’ll stay if a majority of voters say no and leave if a majority of voters say yes, which is not helpful.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

    Comment


    • Obviously I am hardly an election expert but I dont think Question 1 can have less than 50% because I dont think they count abstentions. If you choose not to vote or not to answer question 1 you do not figure into the math. (they will show you in polling however) To win you need a majority of the people who answered Question 1.

      On things like referendums abstentions matter cause they are often counted as "No" but this is more like a runoff election where only 2 candidates are on the ballot. (only Question 1 obviously) It is an either/or situation there is no third option. You either want him recalled or not.

      BTW if I am right that is friggin stupid. Abstention should be considered a "No" vote because he is the sitting Governor it should be a (slight) burden on the recallers to win. If people don't want to recall him (abstention means they have no opinion which is not a vote to recall) then it should be shown as such. If I am right and abstention just takes the vote out of the total that screws with the math and could make it EASIER to recall if there is any apathy on the Dem side...which is why every celebrity in Hollywood is tweeting about the recall pushing people to vote.

      Again though...I could be 100000% wrong.
      Last edited by Handyman; 08-28-2021, 11:14 AM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

      "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

      Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

      Comment


      • Texas house finally passes voter suppression bill, nyt headline states that Texas gop is close to hard fought victory.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Obviously I am hardly an election expert but I dont think Question 1 can have less than 50% because I dont think they count abstentions. If you choose not to vote or not to answer question 1 you do not figure into the math. (they will show you in polling however) To win you need a majority of the people who answered Question 1.

          On things like referendums abstentions matter cause they are often counted as "No" but this is more like a runoff election where only 2 candidates are on the ballot. (only Question 1 obviously) It is an either/or situation there is no third option. You either want him recalled or not.

          BTW if I am right that is friggin stupid. Abstention should be considered a "No" vote because he is the sitting Governor it should be a (slight) burden on the recallers to win. If people don't want to recall him (abstention means they have no opinion which is not a vote to recall) then it should be shown as such. If I am right and abstention just takes the vote out of the total that screws with the math and could make it EASIER to recall if there is any apathy on the Dem side...which is why every celebrity in Hollywood is tweeting about the recall pushing people to vote.

          Again though...I could be 100000% wrong.
          These are the exact thoughts that went through my head that got me wondering. Now, I expect there won’t be many (intentional) abstentions. These are the only two questions on the ballot, so if you aren’t planning to answer #1, you probably won’t bother turning in a ballot - but it’s looking tight enough that it could come down to a handful of votes, in which case it really matters if Newsome’s target is just more no than yes votes, or 50% of all ballots submitted.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

          Comment


          • Vehicular Manslaughter is A-OK in South Dakota. Just gotta pay the state less than $5k in fines.
            https://www.npr.org/2021/08/27/10316...a-deadly-crash

            "Accidents happen, people die."

            *edit* How many Car/Deer crashes deposit the deer's eyeglasses in the backseat of the car that hit them?
            They revealed gruesome details, including that detectives believed Boever's body had collided with Ravnsborg's windshield with such force that part of his eyeglasses were deposited in the backseat of Ravnsborg's car.
            Last edited by aparch; 08-28-2021, 03:38 PM.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

            Live Radio from 100.3

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Looks like Minnesota state fair opening day attendance was down just over half- 61k people instead of the usual 120-135k.
              My wife and I were at the fair yesterday due to the rainy forecast. We had scheduled the day off from work months ago, and were playing a game of wait-and-see. Well, with the rainy forecast, we decided to go early and leave early, before it would normally get busy. The rain mostly held off, but still the crowd never really showed while we were there. We mostly stayed out of the buildings, just stopping by outdoor venues, except for a quick run into the bathrooms and one other building. Each time we entered a building we wore a mask.

              Looking at the numbers now, yesterday's attendance was 77k, 80k fewer people than the same day 2019.

              https://www.mnstatefair.org/about-the-fair/attendance/
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                These are the exact thoughts that went through my head that got me wondering. Now, I expect there won’t be many (intentional) abstentions. These are the only two questions on the ballot, so if you aren’t planning to answer #1, you probably won’t bother turning in a ballot - but it’s looking tight enough that it could come down to a handful of votes, in which case it really matters if Newsome’s target is just more no than yes votes, or 50% of all ballots submitted.
                Yeah with only two questions I'm trying to figure out what abstention even means. I would think they would require an answer on #1 for #2 to count. And I would assume a completely blank ballot means no ballot. But I guess it's not made explicit.

                Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                KDR

                Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                Test to see if I can add this.

                Comment


                • About 2k gathered today at Minnesota state capital to argue against mandates and chanted “my body my choice.”

                  I hope they all OD on horse paste

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

                    Yeah with only two questions I'm trying to figure out what abstention even means. I would think they would require an answer on #1 for #2 to count. And I would assume a completely blank ballot means no ballot. But I guess it's not made explicit.
                    If I read right you can answer Question 2 without answering Question 1 OR answering no to the Recall. That is why the Libs are saying to just say no and ignore 2.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

                    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

                    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

                      If I read right you can answer Question 2 without answering Question 1 OR answering no to the Recall. That is why the Libs are saying to just say no and ignore 2.
                      Is Newsome a choice for Q2? If so the right answer is No / Newsome. If no, then the right answer is No / whoever the leading D is. The most important thing is to deny the fascists a foothold in CA because of a fluke.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                        Is Newsome a choice for Q2? If so the right answer is No / Newsome. If no, then the right answer is No / whoever the leading D is. The most important thing is to deny the fascists a foothold in CA because of a fluke.
                        This. If you abstain from #2, some MAGA mouth breather will become CA gov with just 7% of the vote - in an off-cycle recall election.

                        (No, Newsome is not a choice and you aren’t even allowed to write him in.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                          Is Newsome a choice for Q2? If so the right answer is No / Newsome. If no, then the right answer is No / whoever the leading D is. The most important thing is to deny the fascists a foothold in CA because of a fluke.
                          No he isn't and as Lynah said you cannot write him in. Just like in the GA runoff your vote didn't count if you voted for anyone but them.

                          The right answer is "No/Blank". You fill out no and then mail the fucker and be done with it.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

                          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

                          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            The right answer is "No/Blank."
                            No that's a terrible idea. You have to protect against the possibility the recall succeeds, so if you are permitted vote No / the leading Dem to stop the Nazis.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • That isnt how it works. You vote no and leave blank. That is literally what the Dems are telling people to do.

                              If you write in a name you risk someone else getting elected.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

                              "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

                              Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                              Comment


                              • Can’t imagine how the average CA voter thinks if we can’t even agree on best route lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X