Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by unofan View Post

    I'm all for raising the gas tax; the federal one hasn't been raised in something like 20 years.

    But electric vehicles still put wear and tear on the roads. It's not wholly without merit to try to get them to pay into the highway fund through alternative means.
    Exactly right. The tonnage of vehicles on the roads is what wears down the asphalt, not the fuel consumed to propel them.

    Also, early adopters of electric vehicles have not been the poor people, those buying the cheapest vehicles out there so they can get to their jobs. Sales taxes are regressive in nature, and a gas tax is just a slight alteration of that same beast.

    Keep the gas tax at X%, and then increase license plate fees. In MN, plate fees aren’t flat. In my experience, again for MN, new cars have plate registration fees of around $500, and it slides down each year until holding flat at 7 years, about $50/year. Let’s not punish the poor for having jobs in locations not served by public transportation.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

    Comment


    • We could just get rid of regressive taxes and fees and properly tax incomes.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

      Comment


      • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

        Exactly right. The tonnage of vehicles on the roads is what wears down the asphalt, not the fuel consumed to propel them.

        Also, early adopters of electric vehicles have not been the poor people, those buying the cheapest vehicles out there so they can get to their jobs. Sales taxes are regressive in nature, and a gas tax is just a slight alteration of that same beast.

        Keep the gas tax at X%, and then increase license plate fees. In MN, plate fees aren’t flat. In my experience, again for MN, new cars have plate registration fees of around $500, and it slides down each year until holding flat at 7 years, about $50/year. Let’s not punish the poor for having jobs in locations not served by public transportation.
        Or don't use a user fee model for highways. Don't charge based on the wear on the highway. Accept that having highways is important to all of us in a post-medieval society. Fund highways, and everything else, out of the general fund. Replenish that with aggressively graduated income and wealth taxes.

        As for high carbon footprint industries, recognize carbon footprint as another externality, just like the price of cleaning up pollution. Tax carbon emitters like other polluters: meter their factories and products.
        Last edited by Kepler; 05-16-2021, 03:49 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          We could just get rid of regressive taxes and fees and properly tax incomes.
          With the 0% bracket at least up to the true living wage (which itself will be UBI).
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • I don't miss it often. But sometimes. Just sometimes...


            There are at least 250,000 people in this photograph, and every one of them is a dick.



            Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2021, 05:20 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • That's both beautiful and awful at the same time
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

              Comment


              • If I lived in Louisiana, my house would be up on 6’ stilts, and my lawn wouldn’t be encircled by a fence so much as a permanent sandbag wall with built in bilge pumps.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  That's both beautiful and awful at the same time
                  It's overwhelming. One reason NYers are such pieces of work is their environment is impossible to deal with directly so they retreat into an abstract model of it. This includes other people, so they aren't having human contacts anymore. They are dueling avatars.

                  NYC has been social media as a LARP for a hundred years. Unsurprisingly, behavior follows the same distributions.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2021, 09:05 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I don't miss it often. But sometimes. Just sometimes...


                    There are at least 250,000 people in this photograph, and every one of them is a dick.


                    As you know it feels much less daunting from the ground, but I still wouldn't do it long term.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      As you know it feels much less daunting from the ground
                      Just the opposite, for me. I never fail in NYC to look around and think "I will never have any effect on the world. Everything I will ever do is a puff of smoke. I make no difference."

                      For me, it is incredibly demoralizing, as irrational as that is. In a simple landscape I feel "I could make a change, have an impact." I feel much better when I get away from Trantor.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                        Just the opposite, for me. I never fail in NYC to look around and think "I will never have any effect on the world. Everything I will ever do is a puff of smoke. I make no difference."

                        For me, it is incredibly demoralizing, as irrational as that is. In a simple landscape I feel "I could make a change, have an impact." I feel much better when I get away from Trantor.
                        One of my daughters matriculated at Columbia. She'd had some prior short term experience with NYC, and seemed a perfect fit for that irreverence Columbia seems to have. She excelled in the classroom right away and had good room and apartment mates but gradually found the whole loud, gray, sunless, NYC/Columbia environment intolerable and left after two years. Has since lived in Istanbul, which is also loud and crowded, and Chicago, which is . . . you know. Loved Istanbul and likes Chi. NYC just battered her soul.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by burd View Post

                          One of my daughters matriculated at Columbia. She'd had some prior short term experience with NYC, and seemed a perfect fit for that irreverence Columbia seems to have. She excelled in the classroom right away and had good room and apartment mates but gradually found the whole loud, gray, sunless, NYC/Columbia environment intolerable and left after two years. Has since lived in Istanbul, which is also loud and crowded, and Chicago, which is . . . you know. Loved Istanbul and likes Chi. NYC just battered her soul.
                          I’ve always told people (mainly midwesterners) that living in Chicago isn’t anything like living in nyc. I often joke that Chicago is full of people who couldn’t handle nyc.

                          I barely lasted two years there, I’m one of them.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

                            I’ve always told people (mainly midwesterners) that living in Chicago isn’t anything like living in nyc. I often joke that Chicago is full of people who couldn’t handle nyc.

                            I barely lasted two years there, I’m one of them.
                            Not being able to handle nyc is a good character reference.

                            There are of course good New Yorkers (they tend have grown up super rich). But in general being well adjusted to a sick environment is not a healthy sign. There are people who do really well in prison, too.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • To me NYC is like the zoo: Fun to visit and see all the unique critters but wouldn't want to live there.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                              North Dakota Hockey:

                              Comment


                              • My theory is that no city can be both fun to visit and live in. Which is significantly inflicted by my distaste for living in large cities. And there is almost certainly an age component. The older you get, the more this theory becomes true.

                                NYC: Amazing to visit. You'd have to put a gun to my head to live there.
                                Twin Cities: Great place to live. Buuuut not exactly a tourist destination.

                                There can be cities where neither are true. Most cities fall into that category.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X