X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PoTUS 45 LVXII: Pandemic Legacy Season 3

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Totally not a cult
    The most delicious part is that they have Trump at 90%, CDC at 84%, and cognitive dissonance at 0%. When there is no cognition, there can be no dissonance.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

How much do you think Trump expects everything to go back to normal on Easter, and how much of it is trying to position himself as the guy who wanted to get the economy back to normal when everyone else wanted to destroy it? Granted, as the POTUS, there is quite a bit he can control for some shelter orders, but to a large extent others are made by the experts and governors in various states. So those guys have to go through the hard work of actually caring about the virus and enforcing the un-fun measures to fight it, and Trump gets to be the guy on the sidelines saying he tried to help the economy when the inevitable slowdown hits throughout the summer. Yes, it's an awful strategy from a moral standpoint, and it might not even work ultimately, but it also might be that his people figured with the massive way he screwed up everything else, this is the only hail mary they have.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        The most delicious part is that they have Trump at 90%, CDC at 84%, and cognitive dissonance at 0%. When there is no cognition, there can be no dissonance.
        It would be accurate with Trump at 90%, CDC at 0%, and "wanting to seem like they are smart and care about what experts say when they clearly don't" at 84%.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          It would be accurate with Trump at 90%, CDC at 0%, and "wanting to seem like they are smart and care about what experts say when they clearly don't" at 84%.
          No, they don't even want to appear like they care about what experts say because they honestly believe their gut tells them better.

With these people their ignorance is a point of pride. They believe they are Nobel Savages and that learnin' corrupts people from seeing the simple truth right in front of them. They would be horrified to learn their ideology goes back to Rousseau, a leftwing ideologue, and that its inevitable result is the killing fields of the Khmer Rouge, agrarian communists who slaughtered everyone with glasses because that meant they read books.

This is the pure anti-intellectualism of the high school jock. It's nothing more complicated than that. It's the viciousness of the musclehead that if they don't comprehend a book or appreciate an artwork they destroy it as a personal affront.

They are that insecure.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

How much do you think Trump expects everything to go back to normal on Easter, and how much of it is trying to position himself as the guy who wanted to get the economy back to normal when everyone else wanted to destroy it? Granted, as the POTUS, there is quite a bit he can control for some shelter orders, but to a large extent others are made by the experts and governors in various states. So those guys have to go through the hard work of actually caring about the virus and enforcing the un-fun measures to fight it, and Trump gets to be the guy on the sidelines saying he tried to help the economy when the inevitable slowdown hits throughout the summer. Yes, it's an awful strategy from a moral standpoint, and it might not even work ultimately, but it also might be that his people figured with the massive way he screwed up everything else, this is the only hail mary they have.
            I read an article about that the other day actually. (maybe in WaPo) Basically this whole "Wartime President" gambit is an effort to get people to rally behind him like they did say Dubya post 9/11. In the near term it is working as his fledgling numbers are rising...problem is almost every model shows they arent rising high enough or fast enough. Also, this thing seems to be progressing too fast so him pretending that he wasnt a major part of the problem isnt really working because it was only 2 weeks ago he was still not taking this seriously at all. (and his surrogates on Faux were calling it a hoax)

The other flaw is that to make the "Wartime President" gambit work he needs to be seen as uniting. The idea is to inspire people, to get them on your side and show yourself as a person who can be trusted and respected. Well our response to the virus is being mocked worldwide, our economy crapped the bed requiring another GOP Bailout and Trump is attacking people in his own Party (Romney) not to mention the people to the Left of him. He is trying a Presidential Tactic but he is using Authoritarian Methods so in reality it is having little to no effect.

Long story short: his staff is playing it right, but he doesnt have the will or the smarts to play the game the right way. He is going to get a nice little bounce (he already is) but by the time the summer hits he will most likely be back to pray to hit 43%. The fact that he isnt above 50% in the aggregate on 538 (he is now at 44.6% his new record) shows what kind of trouble he is in. If he was a halfway competent leader he would be pushing 60%.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              I think he wants Easter so instead of worshipping Christ, we worship Trump. Hail Trump, he saved us from Corona.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                I think he wants Easter so instead of worshipping Christ, we worship Trump. Hail Trump, he saved us from Corona.
                "And on the third wife, he rose again."
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I read an article about that the other day actually. (maybe in WaPo) Basically this whole "Wartime President" gambit is an effort to get people to rally behind him like they did say Dubya post 9/11.
                  That's part of it, and part of it is to make everything about him again.

The POS is so unbalanced he's p-ssed at the disease for taking his headlines and his Nazi rallies away.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I read an article about that the other day actually. (maybe in WaPo) Basically this whole "Wartime President" gambit is an effort to get people to rally behind him like they did say Dubya post 9/11. In the near term it is working as his fledgling numbers are rising...problem is almost every model shows they arent rising high enough or fast enough. Also, this thing seems to be progressing too fast so him pretending that he wasnt a major part of the problem isnt really working because it was only 2 weeks ago he was still not taking this seriously at all. (and his surrogates on Faux were calling it a hoax)

The other flaw is that to make the "Wartime President" gambit work he needs to be seen as uniting. The idea is to inspire people, to get them on your side and show yourself as a person who can be trusted and respected. Well our response to the virus is being mocked worldwide, our economy crapped the bed requiring another GOP Bailout and Trump is attacking people in his own Party (Romney) not to mention the people to the Left of him. He is trying a Presidential Tactic but he is using Authoritarian Methods so in reality it is having little to no effect.

Long story short: his staff is playing it right, but he doesnt have the will or the smarts to play the game the right way. He is going to get a nice little bounce (he already is) but by the time the summer hits he will most likely be back to pray to hit 43%. The fact that he isnt above 50% in the aggregate on 538 (he is now at 44.6% his new record) shows what kind of trouble he is in. If he was a halfway competent leader he would be pushing 60%.
                    Even more cynically: he knows this is going to go to heck, so he just wants to take a contrarian position so that when things do go to heck, he can say, "see, I told you we should have re-opened on Easter! It would have been so much BETTER." (even though in actuality it would have been WORSE). He gets to deny responsibility for anything that actually happens, since he wanted to do something different.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Even more cynically: he knows this is going to go to heck, so he just wants to take a contrarian position so that when things do go to heck, he can say, "see, I told you we should have re-opened on Easter! It would have been so much BETTER." (even though in actuality it would have been WORSE). He gets to deny responsibility for anything that actually happens, since he wanted to do something different.
                      He isn't smart enough to think of that angle and neither is anyone in his circle.

In Dump's case, always go with stupidity over malevolence. Not that he isn't obviously just as malevolent, but is idiocy is the sphincter through which all his planning has to pass first.
                      Cornell University

Comment

My point too. Things are going to be crap regardless, so better to stand on the sideline and yell that your plan would have magically solved stuff. Can't unprove a negative. I mean, that WAS basically his message in 2016.

KDR

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          He isn't smart enough to think of that angle and neither is anyone in his circle.

In Dump's case, always go with stupidity over malevolence. Not that he isn't obviously just as malevolent, but is idiocy is the sphincter through which all his planning has to pass first.
                          So....you're saying Chump and crew don't do 3 dimensional chess?
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            So....you're saying Chump and crew don't do 3 dimensional chess?
                            I'm saying Dump and crew couldn't find their own as-s with two hands and a map.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              I read this as very stable Census with a massive dose of sarcasm. And then I figured it out

Comment

My point too. Things are going to be crap regardless, so better to stand on the sideline and yell that your plan would have magically solved stuff. Can't unprove a negative. I mean, that WAS basically his message in 2016.
                                Well only he can fix it...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X