X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PoTUS 45 LVXII: Pandemic Legacy Season 3

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Bass has paid a small amount (say $1) to bet that a stock currently at $150 will be worth $100 on a certain date; at that date, the other side has to buy the stock at $100 if Bass so chooses. (I'm making up numbers here but the idea is the same.) That amount Bass paid ($1) is determined by how likely the drop is (which can depend on the company but ALSO how close it is currently to that price) and how long Bass has to exercise it (longer means there is more time for it to fall, so longer usually means you pay more for the put).

One way to make money is if the price drops below $100. If it's at $95, Bass gets a profit of $5 for each share ($4 total when you factor in the $1 Bass paid for each put).

But, Bass can also sell the put option, rather than exercise it. If the price drops down to $101, it starts to look pretty **** good that it will end up in the money (below the strike price). Other people will suddenly be willing to pay Bass more than $1 for it, because it's looking pretty darn likely it will go below $100, and Bass bought in back when it looked less likely. Bass can certainly wait and see if it drops below $100, but Bass could also see that someone is now willing to pay $5 for each put option, and that's a 500% increase over what Bass paid!

If the price goes in the money (below $100), Bass could even then still choose to sell the put option rather than exercise it. At that point, the option is DEFINITELY worth something. But maybe it will go down more, and be definitely worth more. Who knows? But the point is, someone will be willing to up what they pay for the option based on these factors.

So with options, there's the vanilla option of exercising it and the more interesting option of selling it based on how things change over time. Sort of like how for bonds there's the vanilla option of holding them to maturity, and selling them based on how rates and company factors change in the meantime.

I'm sure I missed some minor details here but hopefully the idea makes sense.
    Excellent summary.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Dump is 15 minutes late, and counting, for his own press conference.
      Probably hyperventilating that Nancy spoke first and still taking calls from donors on how much bail out money they get

Comment

Now a half hour. Adderall probably didn’t kick in yet.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Gotta make sure his Adderall bump lasts for however long this screed goes.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Ill bet the stock market rallies after this presser. Gut feeling. Unless the market has already priced it in. Probably has to some extent.

I’m hoping they announce something coherent. There’s probably an inverse correlation to how long trump speaks and how late in the day vs gains in the market.

I’m also guessing they’ve reached a deal with Pelosi. Watch her movements and that will tell you everything you need to know.
            I didn’t think I’d be THIS right. Especially given what I’ve been reading he actually said.

Five million tests in one week? Based on what? How are we ramping up this fast? Why not earlier? And then he says they are going to decide who gets tested not the doctors? That sounds like a massive ****ing tip-off they aren’t going to be close to five million.

They can’t do 1,000 this week. Five million next week? Lol.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I didn’t think I’d be THIS right. Especially given what I’ve been reading he actually said.

Five million tests in one week? Based on what? How are we ramping up this fast? Why not earlier?
              He got rid of those Obama regulations that stopped it.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Five million tests in one week? Based on what? How are we ramping up this fast? Why not earlier? And then he says they are going to decide who gets tested not the doctors? That sounds like a massive ****ing tip-off they aren’t going to be close to five million.

CNBC had someone from the Cleveland Clinic on this morning, he said now they can ramp up to 1000 a day starting next week.

This afternoon they had another huge clinic on that said they took the CDC system and the Euro system, combined the best parts, and can get results within hours not days.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Doesn’t matter. Stocks rallied, those mentioned in the presser went up exponentially. Republicans get to celebrate how great the private sector is going into the weekend.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

CNBC had someone from the Cleveland Clinic on this morning, he said now they can ramp up to 1000 a day starting next week.

This afternoon they had another huge clinic on that said they took the CDC system and the Euro system, combined the best parts, and can get results within hours not days.
                      This is what I need to see. Thanks for info. I have a ton of faith in our medical professionals. Ultimately I think the worse case scenario numbers won't be reached. With the national emergency declared now just lock Trump in a closet.

Comment

Comment

Ah yes, who can forget that famous Truman quote, "The buck stops somewhere over there."

Comment

Comment

Least aware tweet ever? https://***********/newtgingrich/sta...36554886451203

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                "A stupid person's idea of a smart person."
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X