No announcement yet.

Tokyo COVympics: July 23 to August 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught an event in track cycling called the Madison, apparently named so because it was popularized at MSG.

Each country gets two riders. One is active while the other is an alternate. Active riders take the inside lanes while the alternates hang on top of the track. At any point you can tag your partner in and they become the active rider.

Teams get 20 points if they manage to lap the entire field. Every ten laps there’s a sprint lap where the first four finishers get 5, 3, 2, and 1 points each.

It was absolute chaos but very entertaining.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Women’s basketball wins 90-75 over Japan for their 7th straight gold, which ties the longest streak for a team sport, held by the US men. Sue Bird and Taurasi win their fifth gold medals.

Not much of a reason to think the women won’t get their 8th in Paris and set the record. They’re 93-1 since 1996 in Olympic and World Cup play, undefeated in the Olympics during that time, and haven’t lost a competitive game since 2006. In fact, they haven’t had a game within ten points since 2010.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

This will definitely be remembered as KD's tournament. I expected Dame to have a larger role, but the second man ended up being Tatum for most of the games with Booker coming up big against Australia.

To sweep the baseball/softball golds, Japan beat the US, also 2-0 like the softball gold medal game.
        Lavine, Tatum and Jrue were the players besides KD I thought were key.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
          I put my toddler into footie pajamas to get the same stride from her.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• I'm sure Kep is happy that the US pulled it out last night, and won all of the medal counts- between the Woman's BB and Volleyball wins, a woman won in Track Cycling Omnium, bringing US gold count one more than China.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
              I'm sure Kep is happy that the US pulled it out last night, and won all of the medal counts- between the Woman's BB and Volleyball wins, a woman won in Track Cycling Omnium, bringing US gold count one more than China.
              I don't mind if I don't watch it.

Plus this Olympics was only about that one woman diver and she was China, so they already won.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I don't mind if I don't watch it.

Plus this Olympics was only about that one woman diver and she was China, so they already won.
                The teenager? I really wonder what happens to them when they get slightly bigger and can't rip the entries as well.... Given their age, none were around 5 years ago, and I don't expect to see them in 3 years in Paris.

Comment

The teenager? I really wonder what happens to them when they get slightly bigger and can't rip the entries as well.... Given their age, none were around 5 years ago, and I don't expect to see them in 3 years in Paris.
                  She's barely even a teenager. Had the Olympics been held when they were supposed to she would not have been permitted to perform because she would have been too young.

There was a woman diving in the same finals who was 35.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

who would the 4th be?
                    Allyson Felix.

Turns out I was right on the Women’s 4x400 relay team. They went McLaughlin, Felix, Muhammad, and Mu.

Crazy that they went with only one actual 400m runner (and Felix was never really a 400m runner until later in her career) and still won by a huge margin.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Paralympics stared earlier this week.

These are some real inspirational athletes. I watched the women's 400m freestyle for one of the limb classes. Two women from Turkey had no arms. Think about that, swimming without arms. Both of them did the butterfly kick for the entire race. Seriously mind blowing seeing that. Unfortunately, they compete against people without the use of their legs, so neither finished near the top.

But to swim at all without arms, for 400m, among the best athletes like you in the world. Wow.

Also, rugby is interesting. Full contact in a wheel chair. It's kind of a combination of football, basketball and rugby all rolled into a indoor court. Some serious hitting going on.

Cycling is pretty interesting- so far, though, it's arm injuries they have shown.

So far, swimming is amazing to watch.

Comment

• As I see more swimming, there are a lot of S5 swimmers w/o arms- and some of them are super quick! Amazing to see swimming that fast w/o arms. I know it's more like a fish, but swimming with arms all my life, I can't fathom doing that, let alone that fast.

Comment

Also, rugby is interesting. Full contact in a wheel chair. It's kind of a combination of football, basketball and rugby all rolled into a indoor court. Some serious hitting going on.
                          There was a documentary on wheelchair rugby, following one particular team. It was quite interesting. And raw. The players didn't hold back. It wasn't necessarily a family feel good story. I can't remember the name of it. Found the DVD in our local library. And yes, it was a very physical sport which the participants reveled in.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

There was a documentary on wheelchair rugby, following one particular team. It was quite interesting. And raw. The players didn't hold back. It wasn't necessarily a family feel good story. I can't remember the name of it. Found the DVD in our local library. And yes, it was a very physical sport which the participants reveled in.
                            Murderball

(A nickname for wheelchair rugby as well)
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Murderball

(A nickname for wheelchair rugby as well)
                              Yes, that was it.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X