Tokyo COVympics: July 23 to August 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

Then that's what she should say, not that it's a mental health issue, not that it isn't fun anymore and not that she doesn't want to get hurt.

I think part of the problem is from what I've read, it doesn't sound like it's a mental health in the sense we typically use that phrase right now. She has mental issues that are affecting her performance, but not mental health issues. I mean if mental health relates to anything you think about, then yeah, but it has a more specific meaning then that. From what I've read, she's more Rick Ankiel than Naomi Osaka. If that's the case, I think she's doing a disservice to actual mental health issues.
    But it is a mental health issue that could have become a physical heath crisis.

Just because you don't see it as a mental health issue does not mean it's not a mental health issue. Her mind would not let her perform safely, or even up to a standard where her team could win- "toughing" it through would have been a huge loss to everyone.

This IS an actual mental health issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Auto racing. That is a sport you absolutely have to have your head 100% into it, or you are in trouble. Rick Mears, who still had it, and could have gone for a record fifth Indy 500 win, retired at the Penske Christmas party, saying, "I was never in it for the records. When I longer longer wanted to race, I wasn't going to race."

Nico Rosberg quit one month after winning the F1 World Driving Championship. Obviously still in his prime. He said, "I could no longer get myself into that frame of mind which is needed to win a world championship again. I couldn't put myself through that again." And this after he signed an extremely lucrative contract extension over the summer.
      I was thinking just the Olympic sports, but yeah, auto racing is up there. How anyone does motor cycle racing is beyond me.

Free climbers are up there too.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

But it is a mental health issue that could have become a physical heath crisis.

Just because you don't see it as a mental health issue does not mean it's not a mental health issue. Her mind would not let her perform safely, or even up to a standard where her team could win- "toughing" it through would have been a huge loss to everyone.

This IS an actual mental health issue.
        I stand by, that's a mental issue, not a mental health issue. And it's absolutely fine to say I'm not competing because of it and the risk it poses. But mental health issue has a more specific meaning, otherwise basically EVERYTHING is a mental health issue and it now has no meaning.

Comment

I stand by, that's a mental issue, not a mental health issue. And it's absolutely fine to say I'm not competing because of it and the risk it poses. But mental health issue has a more specific meaning, otherwise basically EVERYTHING is a mental health issue and it now has no meaning.
          So getting so much pressure from every direction, which impacts your mental standing- that's not a mental health issue. Especially if it's so much that one can't really handle the massive amount of pressure.

If a person at your work has a mental breakdown due to the pressure from work- is that just a mental issue? If that same person has a heart attack and dies from the stress at work- does it then become a mental health issue? That does happen.

Simone Biles cut that pressure off before it became an actual physical health problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

I was thinking just the Olympic sports ...
            I'd like my skeet and archery teams' heads in the game, thank you. (Winter, biathlon.)
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Simone Biles cut that pressure off before it became an actual physical health problem.
              Was this starting for her before Tokyo?
              If it was, should she have just stayed back and opened the spot for another gymnast?
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                Free climbers are up there too.
                They just aren't human. The dude in Free Solo is so far along the spectrum he's onto the next page of the graph.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So getting so much pressure from every direction, which impacts your mental standing- that's not a mental health issue. Especially if it's so much that one can't really handle the massive amount of pressure.

If a person at your work has a mental breakdown due to the pressure from work- is that just a mental issue? If that same person has a heart attack and dies from the stress at work- does it then become a mental health issue? That does happen.

You're making some huge assumptions there.

Comment

You're making some huge assumptions there.
                    No, I was asking what you thought mental health issues were. Do note the question marks.

People have died at work due to stress- a guy I knew a long time ago did. And occasionally, the stress gets so much, they go out and get a gun- but that's for a different thread.

The question is- do you think outside stress that causes a person to be debilitated just a mental issue or a mental health issue?

Comment

• sic, if you are looking for reasons to find fault with arguably the greatest gymnast of all time, you have found it. She was the best of the field in prelims, so even that level was not enough for her to get hurt.

Comment

No, I was asking what you thought mental health issues were. Do note the question marks.

People have died at work due to stress- a guy I knew a long time ago did. And occasionally, the stress gets so much, they go out and get a gun- but that's for a different thread.

The question is- do you think outside stress that causes a person to be debilitated just a mental issue or a mental health issue?
                        That is a mental health issue. The huge assumption you're making is that pressure/stress is the cause of her twisties, when there's been no indication that's the case. Most often the yips are caused by....nothing definable. You suddenly just can't.

Comment

• I see an awful lot of white male experts on social media and now this thread, trying to explain why a black woman pulling out of a competition for health reasons is bad. The only people she really owes any explanation to are her coaches and teammates, whom she continued to support from the sidelines. She owes everyone else absolutely nothing.

Comment

sic, if you are looking for reasons to find fault with arguably the greatest gymnast of all time, you have found it. She was the best of the field in prelims, so even that level was not enough for her to get hurt.
                            If she was best in prelims you'd hope it'd be "cruise control" from there out but ... something took the train off the rails.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I see an awful lot of white male experts on social media and now this thread, trying to explain why a black woman pulling out of a competition for health reasons is bad. The only people she really owes any explanation to are her coaches and teammates, whom she continued to support from the sidelines. She owes everyone else absolutely nothing.
                              Exactly. White athlete has to drop out: what a tragedy to be deprived of your lifelong dream after so much sacrifice and work. Black athlete has to drop out: what a betrayal of the country that has done so much for you.

White opioid crisis vs black three strikes. White Branch Dildoians vs BLM.

Always the same. America: Red Hat doesn't rhyme with Dred Scott, but it's close.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post

The Jordan comparisons also don't include what sport Simone is going to play for a mid-life crisis/family loss before returning. I say NASCAR.
                                You mean gambling-related suspension, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X