No announcement yet.

Tokyo COVympics: July 23 to August 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That comeback by Finke in the 800M freestyle was bonkers.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Really enjoying the commentators on the BMX Racing coverage. They are just chatting as the races are happening just like you and your buddies do at an event.

This is what I love about these sports that we see every 4 years.
      I mentioned it earlier but the color commentator for Taekwondo is hilarious.

The lesser known/watched sports are always the best at the Olympics.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        That comeback by Finke in the 800M freestyle was bonkers.
        He wasn’t even getting talked about until the final 30 meters or so. Completely out of nowhere.

It’s funny seeing all these Olympic records set in 2008 still standing. A big deal was made about the pool construction at the time because it was limiting the amount of waves allowing them to go through calmer water and that was why every record was being shattered. I figured that would be the way pools were going to be built from then on, but given how those records stood, either it was a special pool or those were all very special swimmers.

Of course, as I say that, the last two races have set new Olympic records.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

He wasn’t even getting talked about until the final 30 meters or so. Completely out of nowhere.

It’s funny seeing all these Olympic records set in 2008 still standing. A big deal was made about the pool construction at the time because it was limiting the amount of waves allowing them to go through calmer water and that was why every record was being shattered. I figured that would be the way pools were going to be built from then on, but given how those records stood, either it was a special pool or those were all very special swimmers.

Of course, as I say that, the last two races have set new Olympic records.
          From the little I read, I thought the swimsuits were the issue? Was it a little of both?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

From the little I read, I thought the swimsuits were the issue? Was it a little of both?
            2000 was the one with the super suits that got banned shortly afterwards.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              I’m not saying the swimsuits played more of a role in records falling in 2008 or not, because I sincerely don’t know, but the swimsuits from those games were banned.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ated-swimsuit/

Comment

• Former Olympian chimes in on Simone Biles.

"As an athlete who represented Team USA in two Olympics, making money for those rich, bureaucratic a-holes really bothered me."

(Nick Symmonds was a two time Olympian in the 800m in 2008 and 2012)
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Now I have Sam Jackson's voice in my head.

Comment

Former Olympian chimes in on Simone Biles.

"As an athlete who represented Team USA in two Olympics, making money for those rich, bureaucratic a-holes really bothered me."

(Nick Symmonds was a two time Olympian in the 800m in 2008 and 2012)
                    While she can do whatever she wants, she took that opportunity away from someone else that would've wanted it. This doesn't sound like something that just hit her. "I feel like I'm also not having as much fun." Oh, were you still having fun 2 weeks ago when you could have dropped out and let someone else have that spot? "But at the end of the day, it's like, we want to walk out of here, not be dragged out here on a stretcher." Guarantee someone who finished behind her at the trials would take that spot knowing they would be hauled off on a stretcher. Just a pretty lame time to decide she doesn't feel like it any more. I'm sure this had been brewing, she should have done it before the Olympics, not during them.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

While she can do whatever she wants, she took that opportunity away from someone else that would've wanted it. This doesn't sound like something that just hit her. "I feel like I'm also not having as much fun." Oh, were you still having fun 2 weeks ago when you could have dropped out and let someone else have that spot? "But at the end of the day, it's like, we want to walk out of here, not be dragged out here on a stretcher." Guarantee someone who finished behind her at the trials would take that spot knowing they would be hauled off on a stretcher. Just a pretty lame time to decide she doesn't feel like it any more. I'm sure this had been brewing, she should have done it before the Olympics, not during them.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• That's an impressive amount of assuming while also being so certain, I'll admit.

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          That's an impressive amount of assuming while also being so certain, I'll admit.
                          Thank you. I mean sure, it's possible she just woke up and decided it's not fun anymore in the middle of the Olympics, just seems unlikely to me.

Comment

• Well since she gives me no reason to doubt her I will just take her at her word. And even if it had been creeping up for a while...still doesn't really change much.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

So you don't know what happened and how it went down, then.

That's not the first time I've seen this thought- but what actually happened is that Biles figured out on her first jump that she got in to a mental position to doubt her ability to hit anything. So by dropping out, she gave her team a chance of winning.

Seeing her score in that one jump, had she stayed in and competed, the US would have probably finished in last place. Instead, since she recognized that she would not be hitting her performance, dropping out put an alternate in place.

Because of Simone Biles dropping out of the competition, the US *almost* won the gold.

this very much wasn't her "not feeling like it anymore" this was "why did I just get lost on that jump? OMG, if I continue, we lose".

Also, had she continued, the risk of getting injured really badly went up quite a bit- try one of her massive attempts, and get lost in the middle- the landing could have been a disaster for her.

One other thing- she didn't just go an close herself into the locker room- she went back out on the floor to support her team. Again, because she dropped out, they still almost won.
                              Last edited by MichVandal; 07-29-2021, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Another factor here:

We've all been in situations where peer pressure has persuaded us to do things that we weren't sure about or were feeling uneasy about. That's what this is in it's simplest form.

Biles had the pressure of the world on her shoulders and probably knew the backlash that was coming if she backed down. So she tried to just tough it out.

This is the major stumbling block when it comes to ALL mental health problems in this country.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X