No announcement yet.

Tokyo COVympics: July 23 to August 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So , no commentary on Simone Biles withdrawing from the gymnastics team competition? Heard both mental and physical reasons. No word on whether she will compete the rest of the Games. What happens in the team competition now? Do they add on one of the alternates?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
      US softball bats stay cold all tournament, managing to barely win every game. Except the last one. Japan's pitching overwhelmed the cold bats. And Japan's hot bats (they had a lot of hits) broke through the US hot pitching- the US giving up the only two earned runs the entire tournament to Japan.

So now we know why Japan added Softball to the Olympics.
      A couple bad breaks for the US. Could’ve taken an early lead in the 1st on a wild pitch, but got thrown out at home. Then in the 6th they had runners first and second with one out and had a line drive skip off the third baseman’s glove and directly to the short stop who doubled up the runner at second.

Japan is more familiar with Abbott, but I wonder if it would’ve been better to go with her from the start because her K rate is so outrageous.

It’s really a shame softball won’t be in the next Olympics. It ended up being USA-Japan again, but it was a competitive tournament overall. Out of the 17 games, there were 7 one run games, 3 went extra innings, and only 2 mercy rules.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        So , no commentary on Simone Biles withdrawing from the gymnastics team competition? Heard both mental and physical reasons. No word on whether she will compete the rest of the Games. What happens in the team competition now? Do they add on one of the alternates?
        Had no idea until I read your post. Interesting- have to wait for the entire news.

And didn't the US lose an alternate just prior to the games started due to COVID?

Comment

So , no commentary on Simone Biles withdrawing from the gymnastics team competition? Heard both mental and physical reasons. No word on whether she will compete the rest of the Games. What happens in the team competition now? Do they add on one of the alternates?
          Wow. They had her in every individual event.

My girl Up For It Jade should get balance beam now though; she was robbed so L'il Kim could get her moment and ROI the sponsors' investment.

Although generally I applaud every set back that occurs to stop the Yankees from buying medals, I am very sorry both for Biles and also not to see her compete. Watching her qualifiers she was the best even while, for her, she was sucking. And when she really has the chance to power up on a strength action there is no comparison -- she is in another league from every gymnast who ever lived.

That sucks.

Last edited by Kepler; 07-27-2021, 08:41 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Spoiler:
            They lost to Totally Not Russia But Still Russia.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

She pulled out on a vault landing and then conferred with medical personnel. Went to the locker room and came back with her leg bandaged.

Looking back at her "mistakes" in the prelims, it does make you wonder whether she has been nursing a leg injury this whole time.

Gymnastics is a tough, tough sport on the body.
              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 07-27-2021, 10:29 AM.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Lots of men on Twitter talking about how, "kErRi StRuG tOoK oNe FoR tHe TeAm".

I wonder why...

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Lots of men on Twitter talking about how, "kErRi StRuG tOoK oNe FoR tHe TeAm".

I wonder why...
                  Best coda to the Strug saga: her coach did the math wrong and she didn't have to do it.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Lots of men on Twitter talking about how, "kErRi StRuG tOoK oNe FoR tHe TeAm".

I wonder why...
                    Oh I'm sure it's women, too. Equality in racism, like everything else.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      Alaska wins a gold medal in swimming!
                      The scene in the gym was epic.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Best coda to the Strug saga: her coach did the math wrong and she didn't have to do it.
                        I don't think that's 100% true because I don't think the Romanians or Russians or whoever was in 2nd place was done with their event yet. So they didn't know it wasn't needed until after it was already done.

Comment

• Yeah, cause landing one more vault is the same thing as starting an all-around competition. Morons.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I don't think that's 100% true because I don't think the Romanians or Russians or whoever was in 2nd place was done with their event yet. So they didn't know it wasn't needed until after it was already done.
                            My cousin is big into gymnastics and she attended that event in Atlanta.

When she got home, she watched the "coverage" of what she saw. She told me she was stunned on how it was covered. What was "depicted" on TV, mainly the sequence of events, was NOT what she saw in person. So, yeah, I can believe the "true" story has never really been told. We essentially watched an edited reality show.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

When she got home, she watched the "coverage" of what she saw. She told me she was stunned on how it was covered. What was "depicted" on TV, mainly the sequence of events, was NOT what she saw in person. So, yeah, I can believe the "true" story has never really been told. We essentially watched an edited reality show.
                              Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I was thinking it was live but if not, then yeah, I wouldn't put it past NBC to do some heavy selective editing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Same for skating. When I lived in MA I knew people close to the high levels of skating and they said the presentation is ridiculous. This of course aside from the fact that the results are decided before the competition begins.

The "judgment sports" are what if a Central American legal system judged athletics. It's a melange of networking, bias, and good old fashioned corruption.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X