Tokyo COVympics: July 23 to August 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

They do, but that stadium sure didn't look temporary.

At least the 3x3 can be played in a large convention center- since they commonly play mid-season tournaments in one for the NCAA.
    So I see the 3x3 is being played in a temporary, partially open venue. Good that it's outside, since that's more what it's based on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

US didn't even qualify on the men's side, they got upset in qualifiers. The team was Robbie Hummel (currently a broadcaster), Dominique Jones (playing in China), Joey King (looks like he last played 5x5 in 2017 in Finland and has been doing 3x3 tournaments since), and Kareem Maddox (on and off between radio/podcast production and playing in Europe).

I would love to see a super team of LeBron, Steph, Kawhi, and Durant out there.
      Ice Cube has or is establishing a 3x3 pro league out west. I forget all the details, but it’s not surprising.

also, I feel like this is just another flavor of volleyball and beach volleyball, only with a different ball. I vaguely recall people griping about that when the beach game became an Olympic sport back in the late 80s.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Ice Cube has or is establishing a 3x3 pro league out west. I forget all the details, but it’s not surprising.

also, I feel like this is just another flavor of volleyball and beach volleyball, only with a different ball. I vaguely recall people griping about that when the beach game became an
        Olympic sport back in the late 80s.
        speaking of stadiums and beach volleyball, why aren’t they playing it on an actual beach? It’s not like Japan doesn’t have any…
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

I vaguely recall people griping about that when the beach game became an Olympic sport back in the late 80s.
          It was T&A as an Olympic sport. But I didn't hear any complaining, at least from men.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• 18 year old from Tunisia pulled off a major upset in the 400m freestyle. Last qualifier and in lane 8 kept hanging with the leader and took the gold.

If Japan beats Canada later today (tonight?) in softball, it’ll make tomorrow’s US-Japan game somewhat redundant since they’ll meet the next night in the gold medal game. But, there would still be implications to decide who gets to be the home team.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• So the US basketball team of NBA All Stars suck. They had a lead at half- lost that- and then a lead late in the game- lost that. Lost to France.

Those pre-Olympic losses were a real indicator of a bad team.

Seeing the team reaction as the game is ending- there will be a lot of blame sent around, and no leadership to get them back together.

Comment

also, I feel like this is just another flavor of volleyball and beach volleyball, only with a different ball. I vaguely recall people griping about that when the beach game became an Olympic sport back in the late 80s.
                Back in the late 80's, I had a summer job in California, and on a weekend trip to SoCal, we went to a beach volley ball tournament. IIRC, there was a decent crowd watching. Is there a similar thing for 3x3 BB, other than the recent efforts? If there is, that would be a strong justification for the sport.

Comment

So the US basketball team of NBA All Stars suck. They had a lead at half- lost that- and then a lead late in the game- lost that. Lost to France.

Seeing the team reaction as the game is ending- there will be a lot of blame sent around, and no leadership to get them back together.
                  Didn't help all that much that a quarter of the team was gone until today playing in the Finals, and that those guys just flew in last night.

Dame and Durant are the two superstars and supposed to be the volume scorers, but they've been wildly inconsistent so far. But, usually the US has more than two superstars to step up if that doesn't happen. With this C team (D team?), that's still wildly talented, but certainly nowhere near the level of the other post-2004 squads, you can't have off nights from both guys.

Now that the whole team is together, and Iran and Czech Republic are the next two games, they should be able to build some chemistry for the knockout round.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So the US basketball team of NBA All Stars suck. They had a lead at half- lost that- and then a lead late in the game- lost that. Lost to France.

Basically 2004 all over again. They'll rebuild it and dominate from 2024-2036/40 until the best players want a summer off again.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer wins gold in the women's road race. Crazy upset. As the only Austrian in the race, she had zero help. Annemiek van Vleuten, the second place finisher, thought she won gold because the Olympic races don't have radio communications going on. Had no idea there was someone in front of her.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        =The former Gopher?
                        Was either that, or skin my chauffeur.

Sorry, had to.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• American woman wins gold in taekwondo.

I'm still laughing at the analyst who said "...go together like pimps and pinky rings" during the bout.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• McDowell comes in sixth in the men's triathlon, the best finish by an American to date.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer wins gold in the women's road race. Crazy upset. As the only Austrian in the race, she had zero help. Annemiek van Vleuten, the second place finisher, thought she won gold because the Olympic races don't have radio communications going on. Had no idea there was someone in front of her.
                              That's their own farking fault. I think 4 racers broke away (might have been only 3), and the peleton reeled the rest in but forgot about the Austrian. Reminds me of the steeplechase about a decade ago where the Kenyans and Ethiopians asked for a fast pace setter, an American decided to actually keep up with the pacesetter while the rest of the field held back, and by the time they realized the American wasn't also a pacesetter it was too late as she led them by about 150 meters going into the last lap and won by a good 75-100 meters.

Comment

• US beats Japan 2-1 on a walk-off in the 7th…

Katie Ledecky takes the silver in the 400 free.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X