Tokyo COVympics: July 23 to August 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The "judgment sports" are what if a Central American legal system judged athletics. It's a melange of networking, bias, and good old fashioned corruption.
    Well, yeah, there is that, too. Which is why I don't think judged sports should be in the Olympics. But that's a whole other topic for another day...
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 07-27-2021, 11:18 AM.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Being from Minnesota I'm a big Suni Lee (bandwagon) fan, but even I was surprised at Jade's score on the beam.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Being from Minnesota I'm a big Suni Lee (bandwagon) fan, but even I was surprised at Jade's score on the beam.
        That was a complete farce. I know it's all a scam but for god's sake at least pretend.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Well, yeah, there is that, too. Which is why I don't think judged sports should be in the Olympics. But that's a whole other topic for another day...
          I have no problem with subjective sports being in the Olympics, but the first thing we ought to do is take the nations out of the Olympics. I don't care where you were born or which Evil Corp: Public Sector Edition paid for your animal training.

Also: full nudity.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The scene in the gym was epic.
            That was actually the railroad depot.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• So far, many of the fluff pieces that NBC has spend money and airtime on have been bust- all up the pump up has not lead to anything. And now, arguably, the top star on the entire team drops out. Just asking questions- how long can NBC hold out before they start throwing athletes under the bus? One can even argue that Naomi Osaka's loss will be a hit to the TV ratings.

If not for a bunch of people having the Olympics on in the background (thanks to us working from home)- NBC is sucking pretty bad.

Comment

• LOL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...types-apology/

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• So seeing the daily results of my university- made me think how many olympians played in the NCAA....

According to the NCAA, over 1,000 athletes were NCAA competitors- that's about 10% of the entire field. If I could download the file into Excel, it would be easy to see who they are all playing for. I do know that a UM Senior won a gold for Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                    So seeing the daily results of my university- made me think how many olympians played in the NCAA....

According to the NCAA, over 1,000 athletes were NCAA competitors- that's about 10% of the entire field. If I could download the file into Excel, it would be easy to see who they are all playing for. I do know that a UM Senior won a gold for Canada.
                    And that probably doesn't count the ones under 18 who will compete in the NCAA someday.

If only other countries would follow our example and make their money-sport athletes go through 4 "shamateur" years (heh - thought I just made that term up, but it's already in my spell check) where the collegiate sports' ruling body could exploit them for $$$ under the guise of funding other sports....
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      And that probably doesn't count the ones under 18 who will compete in the NCAA someday.

If only other countries would follow our example and make their money-sport athletes go through 4 "shamateur" years (heh - thought I just made that term up, but it's already in my spell check) where the collegiate sports' ruling body could exploit them for $$$ under the guise of funding other sports....
                      That would require a massive change in how sport is done in other countries. I think we are the only ones who give scholarships for sport to universities. Heck, even US territories don't do that (at least I know Puerto Rico's universities don't).

But if it means Nigeria gets it's very first men's gymnast in the Olympics, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Comment

• An aside to Kep's rant in the soccer thread- while you hate American athletes who have things given to them (and I've already asked about countries like China, who make it look like an athlete factory)... what about the countries and sports that *require* massive privilege just to compete- like equestrian and Germany? At least for the US teams you rail about- some of those BB players did come from nothing. Can't do that when a horse is required.

Comment

That would require a massive change in how sport is done in other countries. I think we are the only ones who give scholarships for sport to universities. Heck, even US territories don't do that (at least I know Puerto Rico's universities don't).

But if it means Nigeria gets it's very first men's gymnast in the Olympics, it's not the worst thing in the world.
                          It's not just the universities that help train foreign athletes. It's also the sports academies. Heck, at one time (maybe still the case) most of the Russian figure skaters were training in the U.S. So, to Kep, we do spread our weath...
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

An aside to Kep's rant in the soccer thread- while you hate American athletes who have things given to them (and I've already asked about countries like China, who make it look like an athlete factory)... what about the countries and sports that *require* massive privilege just to compete- like equestrian and Germany? At least for the US teams you rail about- some of those BB players did come from nothing. Can't do that when a horse is required.
                            And let's not forget, the whole reason for the original amateur only in the Olympics was a British concept (Pierre de Courbertin didn't give a darn), because the British believed only the aristocrats should take the luxury of competing in sports and how dare they have to compete against the "unwashed." (The Ancient Greek Olympic athletes were definitely pros.)
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

An aside to Kep's rant in the soccer thread- while you hate American athletes who have things given to them (and I've already asked about countries like China, who make it look like an athlete factory)... what about the countries and sports that *require* massive privilege just to compete- like equestrian and Germany? At least for the US teams you rail about- some of those BB players did come from nothing. Can't do that when a horse is required.
                              Hating one thing does not mean you love everything else. c.f. the National League East.
                              Cornell University

Comment

And let's not forget, the whole reason for the original amateur only in the Olympics was a British concept (Pierre de Courbertin didn't give a darn), because the British believed only the aristocrats should take the luxury of competing in sports and how dare they have to compete against the "unwashed." (The Ancient Greek Olympic athletes were definitely pros.)
                                I'm all for elitism. Just make it brains.

And I wouldn't cite the Classical Greeks as a model for egalitarianism.

I didn't know that about Courbertin, though. That's interesting.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X